Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Body itching, mild hypothyroidism, post herpetic neuralgia infections...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Body itching, mild hypothyroidism, post herpetic neuralgia infections

I am grateful to have found this site. Here goes. Approx 20 months ago, entire body began itching. 24/7. Started in June, subsided in November. Only to start up again June of last year. This time around the itching's not let up, and it's now March. It's also been accompanied with various other sx's/conditions (only in yr2). Any ideas as to what this may be?
*Symptoms:
1) Constant itching (& scratching)(no hives or rashes), with temp fluctuations causing extraordinarily severe itching
2) IgE > 1000 (lowest it's been is 629 during 20 mos)
3) Postherpeutic neuralgia (painful & constant)
4) TSH elevated to 7.9; now 4.1 w/ synthroid
5) hyperpigmentation under both armpits (a dermatologist was certain it was acanthosis nigricans (AN) after a skin biopsy was negative; however, another dermatologist ruled out AN, and thought it was a fungal infection...was told to apply Lamisil 2x/day for 6 weeks; it relieved some itching in that area for 4 of the 6 weeks, but the itching returned with a vengeance
6) Pinworm - tx'ed w/ Vermox
7) Disrupted sleep (waking up to scratch)
*Some Rule outs:
1)Mastocytosis
2)Breast cancer
3)Hodgkin's & NHLymphoma
4)Multiple myeloma
5)Leukemia
6)Autoimmune disorders (inc thyroid-based)
7)Type 2 diabetes
8)Scabies
9)Parasites
*Possible Rule ins currently being considered:
1) Job Syndrome
2) Pokeweed allergy (interferon gamma test = NO response to other mitogens, but very elevated responses to powekeed at 1:200 & 1:400)
*What helps:
1) Ice for itching (not too practical though)
2) Benadryl (Claritin, Zrytec don't help)
3) Capsaicin
colombo:
You listed: "hyperpigmentation under both armpits"

With Neurofibromatosis, hyperpigmentation is common, including in the armpit and groin.

Acanthosis nigricans also may be associated with gastrointestinal malignancies.

Intense itching may be associated with cirrhosis, malignancies, and AIDS.

Postherpeutic neuralgia may follow shingles, and may be a problem with AIDS-related immunosuppression.

Just some ideas.
Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your comments. I've listed my comments below (marked with an *):

*I looked up the symptoms of neurofibromatosis, and I don't appear to have any of them (that I know)

*These were ruled out with a CT scan and tons of blood tests.

*If cirrhosis is caused solely by excessive alcohol, I'm ruled out (I don't drink alcohol). Malignancies have been ruled out (by two oncologists and a hematologist). Docs have also ruled out HIV/AIDs.

*Please see above.

Any other thoughts would most welcome. This has been such a frustrating ordeal. Thanks in advance.
I've been concentrating on tick borne diseases, because of my own diagnosis of Lyme Disease.

Some researchers have suggested that if a patient has multiple odd symptoms, with no obvious cause, and no treatment that helps...that he should be tested for tick borne infections.

However, the usual testing is not accurate.
If you want to pursue this, you should see a doctor who is very experienced in diagnosing tick borne disease.

LymeNet.org has a flash discussion group who can answer questions and help you find a Lyme literate doctor.

Lyme is known to cause thyroid problems.
Lyme causes immune suppression, which may be causing the Postherpeutic neuralgia.

Other tick borne infections can cause multiple problems.

Articles about tick borne infections.
http://www.lymeinfo.net/coinfections.html

I wish I could be of more help, you sound like you're having a miserable time of it.

Carol

I just read your symptoms about the itching and you sound just like my mothers symptoms - she has had extreme itching for 2 years and hers was more like April to September then it started again - In the second year she had shingles in the middle of the mess - she is jsut recovering now from the shingles but her skin is a mess - her doctor thinks it is an allergy to medication - Did you ever get a diagnosis? I noticed this was posted in 2006?
Boy, am I glad to have found you.  I had shingles 2 years ago and last August I began itching.  I itched everywhere!.  Initially I thought it began because I had a disrupting event happen and thought the whole thing was emotional.  Not after reading all the information and your comments.  I'm seeing the skin doctor tomorrow and I'm going to tell him I think this is related to the whole shingles episode.  My itching is EVERYWHERE.  The meds I'm taking keep the thing under control but now that I've figured it all out I'm relieved that it's not just an emotional thing.  I do, however, think the itching was triggered by what happened last August and that my emotions are involved but I'm also sure that the itching is related to shingles and herpes.

Hey, gimkid:  Did your mom get fever blisters?  That too is related to herpes and chickenpox.  

Thanks.

Brenda in St. Louis