Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Bowel/rectal pressure/pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Bowel/rectal pressure/pain

This doesn't happen very often, but when it does it is both inconvenient and worrying. From time to time I am woken at night by a feeling of pressure in my bowel/rectum. It feels much like a need to defecate but if I go to the bathroom there is nothing there- and then when I go back to bed the feeling of pressure keeps me awake-sometimes for ages. I have never felt this during the day- it only happens at night when I am lying in bed. Any thoughts about what is going on?
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec22/ch249/ch249a.html

The link above is what first came to mind when I read your message.  It is a link describing "pelvic floor disorders." Whatever the cause, if it keeps you awake at night and causes pain, it is best to see your doctor.  Better safe than sorry.  

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If there is no pain on passing stools, it is unlikely that the pain is due to fissures. There is a chance that you have developed abdominal adhesions due to previous surgeries (if there is a history of these). Other causes of rectal pain are hemorrhoids, tight anal sphincter (can be caused by adhesions too) and Levator anis syndrome or spasm of levator ani muscles. Less common causes are cancer, infection, IBS and foreign body in rectum.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Take care!