Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Breast swelling and pain...and it's not PMS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For about the last year, I've been experiencing breast swelling and pain. The pain abates when I sit still, but if I walk or touch them, it's very uncomfortable, and even if I wore twenty sports bras, running would be out of the question! They are also hot to the touch (my Spanish boyfriend calls them "tortilla warmers"--or is that too much information??). The pain, swelling, and heat are constant issues, it doesn't fluctuate with my menstrual cycle.

I've had numerous doctors attempt to diagnose me, running blood tests, x-rays, ultrasounds, etc. The best I can get is that I have a "Pain Syndrome," and there is little they can do.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? And if so, did you get a diagnosis, or find something to relieve the symptoms? It's getting extremely difficult to live with two mountains of pain on my chest, even if I can have hot tortillas whenever I want them.

Thanks!
I'm a guy and not a doctor, so not sure how much help I'll be...lol

HAve you seen a breast specialist (sounds funny, but I'm sure they're out there).  I was wondering if you might have a chronic infection of the lacrimal ducts?  Have you been feverish at all?  It's possible a localized infection may not bring on a fever.  I'm assuming that you've been cleared from the possibility of breast cancer.

What about other hormonal imbalances, thyroid, adrenals, etc?  Have you had your ovaries checked for cysts?  Could be a disturbance in estrogen or progesterone production not related to menopause (oh did you say how old you are)?

I have know several women with larger sized breasts to complain of breast pain, particularly related to movement, also accompanied by some back pain.  Some have had breast reduction surgery and have found some relief with that.  I don't remember them complaining of tenderness and swelling though...

Wish I could be of more help
Hi, I've recently been to a breast clinic, I'm from the UK, so we have these here, don't know if you do there?

I also had similar symptoms, and they scanned and said I had Benign Breast Desease.  But I also got some antibiotics, have you had any?

I needed two courses to really clear it up, but it really worked.

If you have had all this, then I agree, a visit to a breast specialist/clinic seems the best bet, then they can check it all out.

Hope it all gets sorted out soon.
I have been tested for ovarian cysts, as well as endometriosis, and I'm clean.  I have not visiting a breast specialist, I'll have to check to see if my insurance plan covers that. Stupid insurance. Can't live with it, can't live without it!

Thanks for the suggestions, I am particularily intrigued by the antibiotic cure, and will have to mention that to my doctor. Oddly enough, I never thought of it as an infection, just as some hormonal imbalance. But it makes sense, considering they hurt and are inflammed, just like...well, and infection.

Thanks to all!
There is a type of breast cancer called inflammatory breast cancer - probably not this but you might want to rule out.  I have fibrocystic breasts and have had weird sensations over the years - I got a breast MRI to rule out any disease - this is most effective imaging for breast I understand - I am not a doctor I have researched this though and especially for younger women with more dense breast tissue.

Or perhaps this is a hormonal issue where your hormones surge and cause this problem - maybe your doctor could test hormones when this is happening and when it isn't to see difference in hormone levels - this will also vary obviosuly on where you are in your cycle.

Maybe you can do a google search based on your symptoms and see what it finds - perhaps you have done this already.