Breathing and Digestive Problems
I am a 41 year old female.  I have been suffering breathing problems for a while now - I struggle to get decent inhale - feel the need to yawn constantly and have to hold nose for this so that get decent yawn - Dr thought this was asthma but I don't think so as went to hospital when having real breathing problems and they said oxygen level was fine - also inhalers don't relieve the symptoms.  Was sent home with a temazepam!!  I have also had back pain for last 6 months which I think is related.  I am going for an ultrasound test next week to check gallbladder.  I think that my breathing problem is related to digestive problem - and seems to come on when eating spicy food - think I have a food intolerance - does anyone else have this?

Annie
go to see your doctor and stop eating spicy food
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If breathing difficulty comes with food, then it can be due to a very bad gastric reflux. It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
If these tips do not help, then liver function test, pancreatic enzymes, and HIDA scan for gall bladder should be done. Food intolerance and inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS, Crohn’s, celiac etc should be considered. Log in what you eat and see if there is a correlation between a certain food type and the symptoms.
Other causes of breathing difficulty could be anemia, hypothyroidism and hormonal imbalance if lung causes are ruled out.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
Thanks so much for all the information you have given me - there is alot there for further investigation.  I will speak to my doctor about this.

Jcdc
I have had ultrasound and the radiographer has said there is a "little pile of gallstones" in my gallbladder.  So think that this might be the cause of the backache.  My gums have been bleeding lately - not particularly when brushing just spontaneously through the day.  I have been to the denstist who confirmed no problem with teeth or gums.  Could bleeding gums be related to gallbladder and gallstones?

Annie