Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Broken Toe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Broken Toe

Back in the middle of December I feel down the stairs and heard a crack in my foot at the base of my big toe.  Having no insurance, I tried to play it off by keeping it elevated with ice.  After a month, having not seen much improvement in terms of pain, I finally decided to order an air-cast boot off-line.  I try to stay off of it as much as possible, and whenever I can I keep it elevated.  The toe does not appear disfigured in any way.  It still swells up on occasion and gets painful, especially if I've had to stand for extended periods of time.  Anytime I'm in the shower, my whole foot gets very purple.  I know none of this is normal, but I was curious as to how long I should let this go on before getting too concerned?  It's already April and there's been mild improvement.  As mentioned previously, I have no insurance and definitely could not afford surgery right now, and I figure the most they would probably do is put on a permanant cast at this point.  I guess I'm just trying to make sure I haven't let it go too long already.    
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis without examination but it sounds like a toe fracture.Even if it is a hair line fracture then also treatment is required.It may generally heal well with little or no therapy or may require open reduction and internal fixation by surgery, immobilization with or without weight bearing or compression dressings and elastic support bandages.It all depends on the bone involved and the severity of fracture.

A consultation from an orthopedician and x-ray foot is mandatory.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries