Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Bump behind left ear

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Bump behind left ear

Doctor,

For the past 5 months or so I have noticed a small lump behind my left ear. This bump is on the bonde behind the ear (NOT the front of the face). The lump is hard, fixed, and not movable.  It causes me no pain, and is about the size of a small pea. I have been playing with it lately, and do not think it has changed it size, and if it has it has been very minimal. About 2 months ago I had a doctor check it out, and the GP said that he didn't think it was anything to be concerned about. Also, for an unrelated issue I had to go through a hematologist exam due to a swollen liver, and he thoroughly examined my neck area and made no mention to anything (not sure if he felt it or not). Now that it has been a couple of months later and is still here, should I be very worried? I know I need to make an appoitment with an ENT, but I am curious as to;

1) What are lumps in this area behind the ear usually attributable to?

Thanks a lot.
Can't say for sure without examination.

In general, bumps behind the left ear can be due to a lymph node or infection.  Treating any type of upper respiratory, or ear, infection should be done, and if the lump persists, I agree with the referral to the ENT for a possible biopsy.  

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
www.twitter.com/kevinmd
its a cyst you can get it removed if you want, but its no big deal unless it bothers you that much