Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Burning Oozing from Rectum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Burning Oozing from Rectum

Evert morning when I go to the bathroom I get this clear burning oozing(clear)liquid from my rectum. It oozes for most of the day and then stops. Then when I go to the bathroom the next day it starts all over again. The clear liquid smells alittle like ammonia to me. I told my doctor about it and he just didn't seem concerned. I am tired of putting toilet paper in my underwear to soak up the oozing liquid. Does anyone know what this might be or what might be causing it ? Any help or ideas would be really appreciated.

Burning oozing mucus from the rectum is characteristic of proctitis(an inflammation of the anus and the lining of the rectum) and rectal prolapse(the walls of the rectum protrude through the anus) but other conditions like ulcerative colitis and inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome , Bacterial infections, such as those from Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, and Yersinia  and intussusception(telescoping of a part of intestine on the other) can also cause them.Ammoniacal smell can also be there in kidney disorders.

Ultrasound abdomen,proctoscopy and sigmoidoscopy are required to confirm a diagnosis.
Treatment  is diagnosis specific.Pls consult a gastroenterologist and get an evaluation done.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.

I talked to my Gastroenteroligist about it,but he never said anything after my colonoscopy, except everything looked normal. Thats about all he ever said about it and I've had two colonoscopies in the last five years. I mentioned it both times,but nothing ever came of it.