Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Burning sensation back of legs.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Burning sensation back of legs.

For several years now, off and on I have had a burning sensation on the back of my legs. It will be on my left side during an episode and then my right, it fluctuates. You can't see anything on the skin. I think that is why doctors cannot diagnose. Orthopaedics have told me it may be sciatica but nothing for sure. So I have dealt with it for awhile now. This week, I had another episode (the first in many months). Now the burning is down the back of me left leg and into my foot. The bottom of my foot is actually sore and hurts to put pressure on it. I can't get comfortable when it happens. I use icepacks and it helps temporarily. I just want to know what is happening. Has anyone had this happen to them?
i have to be honest i had something similar a few years ago, it felt like some one was running warm water down my leg, it really felt hot at times, it went on for some time, any when i went to my drs and they said it was due to nerve in my lower back i didn't beleave them, but they advised me how to sit,stand and not to carry the baby on my hip for a while and the nerve in my back would heal or not be compressed because of the way i sat or held the baby etc, anyway i tried what they said not really expecting to get anywhere, and sure enough they were spot on, now if i get that familiar feeling i make myself aware of how i have been sitting etc, i friend of mine also was having major problems with his leg and his was also down to his lower back.
Thanks for the info. I do have a slipped vertebrae in my lower back. Maybe that is where my problem is. Thanks again.
Hi ~  well I just wrote a long post about a similar problem (see above), what a suprise to find a discussion about this very same obscure thing already on here!  

I feel much better hearing that this strange "warm water being poured on your legs" sensation could be caused by sitting improperly!  I've been at my desk all week, so it makes sense.   I was afraid it was something much more serious... but anyhow I have an appointment with a doctor next week & will report back what he says.
I get burning sensations on different parts of my lower body like you.I was diagnosed with the herpes virus years ago.But i dont understand why i get the pain like sunburn of some weird sort lasting for days sometimes down my legs, sometimes even at the side of my foot.I heard some people get these pains if they have the virus.It could also be some other strange virus.Have you been checked for this?
I have been tested for so many things over the years. I do have Bilateral Meniere's (autoimmune disease in both ears), I have had Mono in the past (autoimmune virus) but no herpes, that I know of. I do know that if you have ever had chickenpox, you have the varicela virus in your system FOREVER. It never goes away. It can attack your immune system and it will affect people differently. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you never have any symptoms. I am one of the unlucky ones. Most everything I have has been immune related. I even had an eye infection a couple of years ago that was viral and related to the varicela infection. But with my back problems, I still think this may be sciatica. However, with all the stress in my life it may wind up being traced back to my immune system.

Thanks for your reply.
I too get a burning sensation on my legs.  It usually appears in one small area about 2-3 inches in diameter at a time.  It feels like something warm is pressing lightly against my leg. I don't have any back problems (other than being very stiff when I get out of bed).  I'm relatively healthy other than some knee pain.
So I to have been having these warm sensations in my legs - I was worried that it was a blood clot or something.  My only other issue is occassional restless legs at night.  I was hoping to find an answer as to what the heck it is?
i too......have been getting these weird sensations of feeling like i have warm water being poured onto an area of my leg..usually my left leg but sometimes its the right.Im 26 years old..never had a broken bone..low blood pressure..ive gave birth to 4 children in the last 7 years..they were natural,vaginal births....very healthy babies..either 7 or 8 pound babies..the only surgery Ive ever had is is my tubal-liagation(so i cant get pregnant)..and recently..I was put out to get 4 wisdom teeth removed. I do have severe cervical dysplasia..which I will be having surgery soon for that. But I cant really c how that would b related. When I was pregnant with my first and second baby I had GREAT problems with my sciatica..and the problems still stayed for many months after pregnancy.So bad that after my 2nd baby..sometimes if I bent over..Id be stuck.While being 'stuck' bent over..it was very difficult to breath bc if i took a breath..it was  horrible pain..not in my chest but everywhere else..it was weird..and very scary cause id be stuck like that for about 10 min and when i could finally move..it would have to be very very slowly!!! But yet my 3rd and 4th pregnancy..my sciatica didnt bother me at all..not even once.My OBGYN doc. told me that my sciatica was acting up while pregnant bc the nerves the baby was pushing against. My 3rd baby..starting at 6 months..if I was to lay down..within about 30 sec. or so Id get a numbing..throbbing pain feeling inmy arms..it felt the exact same as carpel tunnel(which when i was 17 and was working on a farm stripping tobacco..the repetative motion..gave me carpel tunnel in my hands and arms)..so i knew what it felt like. The pain was terrible. Id feel it and would have to sit up and hold my arms pointing them down to the floor to get the blood flowing and it would painfully decrease.It was so bad that the last 2 1/2 months of my pregnancy i couldnt lay in bed at night..i had to sleep sitting up..literally..all the was sitting up in a lazy boy chair..my fiance would have to stuff pillows around me in that position to keep me from falling over.After I gave birth..that night..I lay down in the hospital bed exhausted dreading the thought of not sleeping cause of me weird arm throbbing problem..and it was gone..so obviously pregnancy related. Not sure if any of this has happened to anyone else or if this has anything to do with our weird leg sensations..but thought id give my info..maybe it will help someone..thanks
I was just going to call my doctor about the warm water feeling on the back of my leg and the one on the heel of my right foot because I thought I might have a blood clot.  I am happy to see I'm not crazy.  I do have alot of back problems and see that this is probably directly related. I will talk to my orthopedic Dr. when I see him next.  Thanks
I have the same thing going on. That's exactly how I would describe it too, It feels like warm water running down the back of your leg.  I was told by my chiropractor that it was probably a pinched or inflamed nerve in my back since my last vertebrae and pelvic bone were out.  Never had this sensation before until I threw my lower back out, so it makes since to me.
As bad as this may sound, I am so glad I found this ite listing experiences from other people that are similar to mine.
for a few years now, every now and then, I get a burning sensation in the back of my left leg as well as in the upper, left hand side of my back...close to my shoulder blade. I have not spoken to a dosctor about this, but given the above and the posibility of nerve damage and/or worse, I will.
Thank you all for you comments. I will soon post any medical findings.