Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Burst Varicose Vein

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Burst Varicose Vein

Hi to all.

I've had Varicose vein from a tender age of 17 or so and hadn't really noticed them until about a few years ago (currently 21). I was on the soccer pitch just recently and noticed a real bruising pain in my left calf and so proceeded to examine the area. I noticed that a varicose vein had most likely burst. It looked like a bruise measuring around 3cm in diameter, dark blue and color with a slightly reddish tone. I quickly send myself to the hospital's emergency department and they tell me to go home and treat it like a normal bruise with elevation of the leg and ice.

A few days pass, the pain is gone and the initial bruising is beginning to heal (slightly faded red with skin color producing). Though another problem has arisen: Slight bruising has occurred around the initial bruise. It's very light and not as intense looking but still worrying.

What happens from here guys? Do I return to the hospital or let it rest for another few days.

Sex: Male
Age: 21
Fairly Fit

Thanks for the post. In your case I think it was a bruise, may or may not accompanied by formation of a hematoma (localized collection of blood from injury to a blood vessel). The color changes you describe are normal for a bruise, and initially the healing bruise margins do spread.
I am giving you a link about bruise with pictures, so you can see for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruise

However it is difficult to diagnose without examining. Since you have a prolonged history of varicose veins and from your post I realize you are into sports and exercise, so it will be wise to consult a specialist. Maybe you can begin with your local doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else.
Thanks for your reply doctornee.

I've read the article regarding a bruise and it very much sounds like what i am experiencing with my leg. Though through your advice I think i should still see my local clinic and have it checked out.

thanks again.
Pat

You are welcome! Please do keep me posted.