CHRONIC CONSTIPATION/COLD INTOLERANCE
Over the last 4 years I would say, i've had a constipation problem.  It has become chronis and much more severe within the last year.  I went to florida for a week and did not go for 9 days.  I ate everything in the world that I thought would make me go (including mcdonalds fast food which i NEVER eat and a bean burrito).  I am a very healthy 21 year old female that eats all fruits and vegetables and whole grains.  I rarely consume any milk products except non-fat plain yogurt.  I drink nothing but water and coffee.  I dont eat red meat anymore because that only made it worse and only eat fish and lean chx breast that i cook and prepare myself.  I cook practically everything from scratch and hardly ever eat junk.  I dont add salt or butter to any of my foods and only use extra virgin olive oil.  I also run about 2 miles every day, if not every other day.  I was told that i have a lazy colon and was put on amitiza twice a day which worked in the beginning, but kind of tapered off.  I also have an EXTREME cold intolerance and can never seem to get warm.  I also have a problem with sleeping.  Have a very difficult time falling asleep as well as staying asleep.  The only medications that i am on is amitiza and yasmin.  I could not eat for days and still not lose weight and am always bloated.  For the foods that i eat and the exercise, i dont understand why i have such a problem.  Thyroid was checked and it came back normal.  THe only thing that did not come back normal was my iron level which was very low (iron def. anemia).  If anyone has any idea what could be wrong, i'd appreciate any input.

It is very difficult to make a diagnosis without examination but it can be due to the slow passage of digesting food through any part of the intestine. More than 95% of the time, however, the slowing occurs in the colon.If it is long,it can cause constipation.

Other causes are suppression of the urge to defecate,diet low in fiber, over-use of stimulant laxatives (e.g., senna, castor oil, and certain herbs), hypothyroidism and hyperparathyroidism(by raising the calcium levels in the blood), intestinal pseudo-obstruction, Hirschsprung's disease, Chagas disease,colon inertia(nerves and/or muscles of the colon do not work normally) and pelvic floor dysfunction(the muscles of the lower pelvis that surround the rectum (the pelvic floor muscles) do not work normally).

Cold intolerance can be there in hypothyroidism(normal in your case).iron deficiency anemia,anorexia nervosa,pituitary or hypothalamus conditions or scleroderma.

You are taking a good fiber rich diet and amitiza(calcium channel activator),yet you are having constipation;a pathology is definitely there.Pls discuss these possibilities with a gastroenterologist and get yourself thoroughly investigated to reacha confirmatory diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.