Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can be memory loss, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, depression, hallucination, flu like symptoms, fatigue, impaired judgment etc to name a few.
The symptoms you have can be CO poisoning or it can be due to IBS like Crohn’s and associated nutritional deficiency.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Your post states you are interested in C02. C02 is carbon dioxide, used to carbonate sodas.
Carbon monoxide is represented by the symbol CO. Mono means a single oxygen molecule.
Carbon monoxide is seen by the erythrocytes as "oxygen" and it binds to the red blood cells. Because it has a stronger electrical affinity, it stays with the cell for a long time, diminishing the ability of blood to transport oxygen. It could remain bound for two or three days. This means if the red blood cells become saturated with CO, you can literally suffocate although there is plenty of air around. Not a nice way to go.
A smoker also ingests carbon monoxide. A two-pack a day person may have twenty percent of the red blood cells attached to carbon monoxide, which makes them very susceptible to damage from hypoxia. It means there may be situations when the heart cannot, under any circumstances compensate.
Acute carbon monoxide poisoning is characterized by a red face. Low levels do not produce this effect. Treatment is by use of a hyperbaric chamber, which isn't usually available. Simply endotracheally intubating and forcing oxygen into the lungs may not work because the red blood cells simply won't transport. In this case a massive blood exchange is the drill. A unit is removed and one replaced. Then the process is repeated. There may not be enough time available to replenish the blood before tissue becomes necrotic.
Fortunately there are inexpensive carbon monoxide detectors available at Wal-Mart and Home Depot, as well as many drug store chains. On the net many aviation supply stores have small units that precisely measure concentration.
CO is indeed dangerous.
You could ask your local fire department to check, but the levels may have degraded when they get there.
Yes! these are all symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. If you feel that this is possible or have the possibility of a leak... Get out of the house call a gas specialist to test your appliances for leaks immediately then before ou go home... since you rely on gas appliances the first thing you need to do is buy a CO2 detector and install it. this kind of poisoning is dangerous and can sneak up on you and render you unconscious before you know it. don't take chances with it.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.