Can blood work properly detect pulmonary embolisms?
I am a 25 year old female and have been to the doctor several times, I started having heart palpitations, nausea, light headedness, fatigue, chest pain, and the list goes on.  Anyway long story short it ended up being caused by my birth control, Ortho Evra.  Since I have stopped taking it and heart palpitations have gone away and nausea too... But I still have chest pain, I feel at times that I am short of breath, one of the side effects is blood clots especially in the lungs.  My question is can blood work (tests) properly detect blood clots in the lungs or is it necessary to have a cat scan done?  I have no medical insurance so I am looking for answers before I get myself knee deep in medical bills.  I sometimes feel like I am on the verge of an anxiety attack because of everything going on, I have two babies to care for and the thought of a bad heart or anything else for that matter is scary.
Any suggestions as to what other tests to have done?  I still dont know what is wrong with me and what damage I have from using this patch.  What about thyroid?  What are problems one would have from their thyroid???  Anyones help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!
Blood test cannot tell if you have a pulmonary embolism, but if you had one you would probably be dead by now, so don't worry about them.  The blood clots that enter the lungs always either pass thought harmlessly because they are small, or they clog the artery and your lungs fill with blood.  It is exceedingly painful and then you die.  You are not dead, so I think it is safe to assume that you don't have a pulmonary embolism.  If you are having panic attacks or severe anxiety it could very well be your Thyroid.  You can have a blood test or an ultrasound to have it checked for function.  You should also check your diet for iodine. Iodine "feeds" the Thyroid.  It doesn't function well without it. Most iodine comes from eating fish (not canned tuna or fishsticks)or eating iodized salt (1tsp/day).  If you don't like these things, and are not allergic to iodine, then you can take kelp tablets, no more than 220mcg (micrograms)of iodine each day.  If iodine is your problem, then you will feel a difference in a few hours to a week.  It will take about a month for the Thyroid to balance out to extra iodine or a Thyroid medication from your doctor.  Make sure you see your doctor for a blood test even if you decide to take kelp.  If your blood tests are normal, then your problem is probably iodine intake.
THANKS SO MUCH STAR QUEEN.  You have helped to give me peace of mind, no one has been able to answer my questions.  I will get my thyroid checked.
i hadt he same thing, one night a few months ago while i was eating i suddenly got stabbign chest pain on my right side so bad i couldnt breath, and i kept on with a violent cough for a few minutes.

turns out something went down my lungs because i was reckless... ;)