Can scream singing (i.e. Pantera) cause an old hernia to re-rupture?
Hi, never tried this before so here it goes. Im a singer in two bands, both what you could call "Metal". i sing/scream and lately ive felt pressure on a 4 year old hernia injury. i play a total of three days a week, so i do this activity quite often. i am wondering if the pressure might be ripping the old mesh out and in turn could be making my hernia return. If so my question for you is, should i stop sing/screaming or is there any other options, ideas, or remedies for my problem?
Thanks for writing.
When you sing loudly or scream, the abdominal muscles are involved and this puts pressure on the hernia. Even if the hernia was repaired any activity that causes pressure to build up on the wall like coughing, lifting heavy weight, constipation and straining at stool etc, can cause the hernia to recur. This will require another surgery.
You can probably wear abdominal binder while singing. However please consult your surgeon regarding this. Also please ask your surgeon whether you need to stop singing because it is difficult for me to say without examining the condition of your hernia repair site. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else.