Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Cancer...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Cancer...

I don't know where else to post.  My grandfather has had a lump on his neck for about a week now.  He went to the ear, nose and throat doctor yesterday and found that his tongue has also began to turn black.  The doctor sent him to have a catscan of his throat and blood work and made him come back today and said that there surgeon would sit in on the appointment.  At the appointment today the surgeon, after looking at all the results, would not touch him.  He said that he has cancer in his lungs, throat and behind his tonsils.  So, is scheduled to see a specialist on Monday.  He went to the doctor for something else in April and none of this was showing.  So, it has my family worried that if its this bad in July...it's growing fast.  I am 25 years old and he's the only grandfather I have.  My paternal grandfather passed away when I was 9.  Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?  I know if the time is his time, then there is nothing anyone can do...but we'd like to keep him around a little while longer.  Thanks!
I appreciate your situation and you have my greatest sympathy at this difficult time. Your grandfather may have had cancer for a while but was symptom free. My husband had several tumours by the time he was dx. He had no obvious symptoms really that indicated that he had cx. I am sure that you are aware that your grandfathers condition is very serious. All you can do at the present is too spend as much quality time with him until he has seen his specialist. The specialist will give you the relevant information which you are seeking. God Bless you and your family at this time. Chris
I really feel for you as well. I lost my father in March from lung Cancer. I will pretty much say the same thing as the above poster, spend as much QUALITY time as you can with your Grandfather. All my father ever said was that he didn't want to live in pain. To be completely honest with you, if your grandfather does have cancer and he goes through all of the typical medical treatment such as Chemo and radiation, be prepared. I often wondered how his last months would have been had he not gotten treatment. I will never know and I would not wish this horrible situation on anyone. Enjoy every minute you can with your grandfather and stay strong. The hospital or specialist that he goes to should have a list of places that have support groups for loved ones and family members of people diagnosed with Cancer. I didn't go to one at the time, but I wish that I had. I am only 26 and it is extremely hard for me to deal with. Don't be afraid to break down, it doesn't mean your are weak, it means you are human.
God Bless to you and your family.