Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Carbon Monoxide Exhaust Leak
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Carbon Monoxide Exhaust Leak

Hello.  I've recently been experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning  -- more strictly, vertigo, headache, and cloudy attention, and sometimes feeling like I'm forgetting to breathe, followed by deep breaths.  My car has had a header gasket leak for several months, and my symptoms have progressively gotten worse.  During possible exposure, my lungs are heavy and flow with mucus, cough, etc...  I do not currently have health insurance -- but SHOULD I seek medical assistance? (Hyperbaric chamber, oxygen therapy, other...)  Or simply decrease/prevent further exposure?

Suspected exposure has been between 30-200 PPM for roughly half hour a day for at least two months -- but has not been verified by a CO detector.
Have I procured any sort of CNS damage, or am I being paranoid?
How long does CO stay in and/or affect the CNS (with or without treatment)?

Thanks in advance.
Related Discussions
5 Comments
Blank
1509005_tn?1289950479
Take niacin Vitamin b3. it will detoxify your circulatory system. if you have monoxide poisoning it will be negatively effecting your circulatory system and thus all organs that are linked to your circulatory system. take 250 mg for the first 3 days and jump up to 500 mg for 5 more days. the vitamins are harmless but make sure to get the flushing type it will make you feel itchy and induce redness in your skin for 30 mins but it may be able to clean out any traces of monoxide poisoning in your blood. Also if you can gain access to an oxygen tank that would be great to use while you are treating yourself with the vitamin.
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
The electrical attraction of CO is verey strong and it stays in the bloodstream for several days. It will eventually disappear from the bloodstream without hyperbaric treatment.

The question is why haven't you purchased an inexpensive  carbon monoxide detector instead of wildly speculating about causuality?

Carbon monoxide in a car is life-threatening. A headgasket should not leak.

There should be no long term damage from exposure.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
You need to seek medical attention. CO poisoning is cumulative and potentially deadly.
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Thank you so much for your replies.

Niacin "may be able to clean out any traces of monoxide poisoning in your blood."  --Is this backed by research for CO? Or based on the notion that B3 is known to flush many toxins out of one's system, like it does with THC?  I was under the assumption that CO is irrevocably bound to red blood cells.

"The question is why haven't you purchased an inexpensive  carbon monoxide detector instead of wildly speculating about causuality?"  --Because wildly speculating about causality is even more inexpensive than a CO detector..... No, good question - I'll do that.  However, I don't think it was extremely "wild". I'm no doctor, but unless I've got some sort of degenerative disease, CO is my only suspected culprit, and I wanted to know what I'm dealing with.  :-)

Thanks again for all the help!
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You could be having CO poisoning which causes memory loss, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, depression, hallucination, flu like symptoms, fatigue, impaired judgment etc to name a few. As Caregiver said it can be treated with hyperbaric oxygen which displaces the CO from its binding with hemoglobin. If left untreated the CO-hemoglobin component may persist for 5 hours and repeated exposure can make it persist longer.
In your case chances of permanent damage is less because thank God it was only while you were driving. So if you do not drive the car until it is fixed, half the treatment is done (you no longer face exposure). In all probability the symptoms will settle down on their own. However you must first go to ER and get carboxyhemoglobin level assessed by finger tip saturation monitor. This may not be available at your PCP, hence asking you to go to the ER. If this saturation is very low and you have more of normal hemoglobin, you will be asked to take oxygen by mask for some time and sent home. Full recovery will occur in next few days as there are no neurological symptoms.
As Caregiver suggested, install a CO monitor in car. Take care!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top General Health Answerers
363281_tn?1353103243
Blank
SassyLassie
Hanmer Springs, New Zealand
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
mkh9
CA
1530171_tn?1418143903
Blank
TheLightSeeker
London, ON
4851940_tn?1385441629
Blank
jemma116
United Kingdom
1756321_tn?1377771734
Blank
Red_Star
Queensland, Australia
1622896_tn?1418684976
Blank
bobdylan1958
Outside London, United Kingdom