Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Cause of Buffalo hump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Cause of Buffalo hump

I've had this soft tissue at below the back of my neck for almost 2 months now and my doctor has not been able to tell me why or what has caused it.  It just came up all of a sudden.  At first, I just felt "pulling" in that area but now it is painful.  Can't tell if the pain is from the tissue itself or the tissue is aggrevated by general neck/shoulder strain, etc.  
First thing NP asked was have you used a lot of steriods lately.  To which I replied...uh, yes..this office has prescribed them along with my allergist several times since last fall.  I was treated with approximately 4-5 rounds of steriods (probably very low dosage) between Oct 06- Mar 07 for severe sinus/allergy problem.  Other than that, I use a type of steriod nose spray daily (which from what I have read wouldn't be an issue).  
The use of steriods has not been mentioned again by the NP or the doc on my 3-4 follow up visits trying to determine what has caused this and why it is causing pain.  What they have done is a c-spine, chest x-ray, CT scan.  CT scan results suggested fatty tissue may be result of steriod use and/or Cushings Disease.  So they then tested my cortisol level for Cushings...negative.  However, they just tested using blood sample.  I've read about several other tests that "should" be used. Now they want me back in to test my hormone level for polysystic ovarian disease.  Based upon what I've read about that...I have absolutely none of the symptoms.  
Thanks,
Confused, anxious and worried
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your response.  I have dr appt in a couple of hours and am taking a list of questions.  I am going to ask why they feel that only test has ruled out cushings.
If you feel like it may be cushings then ask them to do the saliva test on you. Its a simple  test that you have to do at 11 pm in the evening. You have to chew on this cotton swab and get it saturated with your saliva at 11 pm for 3 nights in a row. This is the most effective test to rule out cushings. I am speaking from experience. I suspected that I had cushings a couple of years ago so my family doc ordered the 24 hour urine test and the blood test, well they were both pretty normal so he ruled out cushings. Well I continued on getting more and more of the symptoms and finally he sent me to an endocrinologist and he ordered the saliva test and sure enough the numbers were through the roof and I do infact have cushings disease. Not the syndrome, but the disease, there is a difference. Go to www.mayoclinic.com and look it up. There they will explain it in detail. If left untreated it can cause alot of other problems with your horomones. You might want to check it out just to be on the safe side. Keep us updated and let us know.

Oh PS: my cushings disease is due to a pituitary tumor they found by doing a MRI of the head.