Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chest/Back Pain - Chronic Severe and spells of dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have had severe chest/back pain around the thorasic spine that has been going on for 2.5 years. Undiagnosed cause. On high doses of narcotic pain relievers. Pain mainly in center but radiates around chest/back almost like a tight band. Feel better lying down on my side. Had many tests and seen about every specialist there is. Nothing major shows up on the tests. Have osteoporosis - bones about the age of greater than a 72 year old - actual age is 47. Have hyperparathyroidism - mild and sometimes on the low normal. History of kidney stones. Have spells where I get dizzy, shacky, sweaty, blurred vision, etc. that go away anywhere between 2-15 minutes. Taken blood glucose test and ranges of 48-70 during spells. BP seems to be fine during spells and normally. History of heart disease on father's side of the family. Have low potassium and sodium blood levels. Other blood test show low normals on other tests but nothing jumps out. I'm at the end of my rope and need help coping and need resolution to this problem. It has taken over my life - can't enjoy things I love. Pain is constant. I'm fatigued all of the time and sometimes pain is out of control even with meds. Recently doctor started me on Celebrex and Nexium (to try to avoid ulcer, last time on Celebrex an ulcer occured so I was taken off). All started when I had a sinus infection when it wouldn't go away. Took Celebrex, bed rest, antibiotic which seemed to resolve problem. Then ulcer happened. Problem almost cleared up then gradually come back constant. Could it be costochondritis? Would that explain everything? HELP
Saw your post reply to mine.  Now I'm responding to you.

I am not a doctor, but have been researching some similar symptoms as you have described.  I found one website (I have absolutely no interest/relationship to this website, it is located at http://www.dhmc.org).  From reading the website, it looks like hyperparathyroidism can cause back/bone/joint pain.  According to the website:
"High levels of parathyroid hormones raise the level of calcium in your blood. This affects various parts of your body, including your bones, digestive system, kidneys, muscles, and central nervous system.

Although hyperparathyroidism may not cause any symptoms, some patients might experience:
Feeling fatigued and weak
Constipation
Loss of appetite
Joint pain
Increased thirst
Frequent urination
Kidney pain, caused by kidney stones (calcium deposits in the kidneys)
Bone pain or tenderness
Nausea and/or vomiting
Back pain"

Are you being treated for the hyperparathyroidism? Have your calcium levels been checked?
One more thing.  If you have hyperparathyroidism, I found another website that discusses a minimally invasive surgery to help cure you of hyperparathyroidism.  This website indicates that hyperparathyroidism can cause osteoporosis, bone/joint/muscle pain, fatigue, etc.  The website is called:  parathyroid.com (again, absolutely no relationship to/interest in this website).  Just researching "constantly" trying to solve my own health issues. It seems like it never ends.   Parathyroid.com lists the following symptoms of hyperparathyroidism, and it sounds like this may apply to you:
" Loss of energy. Don't feel like doing much. Tired all the time.
Just don't feel well; don't quite feel normal. Hard to explain but just feel kind of bad.
Feel old. Don't have the interest in things that you used to.
Can't concentrate, or can't keep your concentration like in the past.
Depression.
Osteoporosis and Osteopenia.
Bones hurt; typically its bones in the legs and arms.
Don't sleep like you used to. Wake up in middle of night.
Spouse claims you are more irritable and harder to get along with (cranky, bitchy)
Forget simple things that you used to remember very easily.
Gastric acid reflux; heartburn; GERD.
Decrease in sex drive.
Thinning hair (predominately in older females).
Kidney Stones.
High Blood Pressure (sometimes mild, sometimes quite severe; up and down a lot).
Recurrent Headaches (usually patients under the age of 40).
Heart Palpitations (arrhythmias). Typically atrial arrhythmias."
** This website discusses a minimally invasive procedure that removes the affected parathyroid gland.  Maybe this is something that can help you?? There is a section on being tested, and what patients have to say about thesurgery.  If I end up being diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism, I may consider going to this doctor to be treated.  Feeling miserable, tired and in pain all the time SUCKS.