Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chest pain, arm numbness and upper back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 201-206 comments:
Most responders in this thread that have diagnosis are finding its thoracic outlet syndrome or in my case thoracic disc disease which are so rare doctors are not familiar enough to recognis and diagnose. Please talk to your doctor specifically about getting an Mri to diagnose this.
I am a 33 yr old male. I have been experiencing these symptoms for 6 years now. Dr, e.r.,  cardiologist, all cannot tell me what's wrong. It is frustrating. I can't believe everyone that is having the same problems. I read all the way back to 2007 in these posts. I'm shocked isn't there a doctor reading this somewhere that could help us?  I will be a study subject gladly. I don't drink, smoke, or any recreational drugs. I've been told its anxiety and my Dr called it the "Vegas nerve" wth?!!!
A Chiropractor can help you but what your problem is your chest bone needs to be popped and more than likely your back is messed up. If you are experiencing these pains sit down in a chair and stretch as far as you can up and breath deeply and lowly. you will find that this will relieve some of the tension in your back. I have been suffering from back pain for 13 years and it will only get worse. the reason alcohol works is because it is a muscle relaxant. the doctors are not going to tell you anything because it can't be fixed except through painful surgries and pain killers. Get into a swimming pool (heated preferred) and make yourself float. Don't drown, but by taking the pressure off your spine will help heal the pain and you discs. I choose to take Aleve through the week when I am working and if I feel that it becomes to much I will take Ativan 1mg to help destress from the pain. Pain killers are a last resort because your body WILL get addicted to them and the only thing you can do is increase the dosage.
I have had panic attacks for years, and they went away about a year ago out out the blue...i reduced my stress ate better etc etc....the last week also "out of the blue" i can barely function, i am literally living on ativan, i was walking down the street and all of a sudden i got left side chest pain, my head started to get dizzy, face went pale, i knew i was having an attack. I got the shoulder blade pain (under it) left side, and also jaw pain left side, but i do grind my teeth at night as well......................i also take one advil as soon as i wake up so i dont have to feel anything again.

panic attacks and anxiety is brutal, thing is with panic, it attacks the weakest parts of your muscles, i am right handed so my left is weaker, its common sense, i bet most of you are right handed as well, so if your muscle groups on the left are not used as much that's where the anxiety strikes, left chest muscles, arms, jaws, back.....it's an evil evil disease! also at night it tends to get worse because thats when the body starts to slow down and shut down, for sleep time...........anxiety knows this, finds you off your guard and strikes, i swear.STRESS, fighting with people, bad times at work ALL TRIGGER ANXIETY, i now try to sit in peace and quiet, low music, and i breathe and meditate. it helps me PLEASE TRY IT!

I am also experiencing chest pains associated with palpitations and numbness of the left arm. The pains get worse, especially at night, to apoint where I literally get up from sleep and sit upright. I have been to a GP who referred me to a physician who then referrred me to a hospital where I was booked in for a night. An observation was made on me overnight and tests were run the following day. I was told that everything was normal with my heart except that I had an overgrown muscle which sometimes overlaps on an artery when it contracts and therefore reducing the flow of blood, hence the numbness. For me the only permanent solution, I am told, is surgery. Pain killers often help but for a short while. There are no clots or blockages in the path of the blood but I am consdering the surgery because of the severeness of the pain. Doctors say the condition is not fatal.
i feel the same way you do i have been having chest and back pain,shortness of breath and it has been rough for me.went to the doctor had chest xrays and they told me i had tight mucles in my back and chest and i was stressed out. you are right all you can do is pray!
look into TOS thoracic outlet syndrome. this included everything you are talling about and if it is this. even though its been some time since you posted. you may still have this problem.
I just found this site and i am glad i did. I been having chest pains for a long time. I am not the type of man who goes to the hospital (or so i thought) .

I have never experienced a tightning chest pain in the middle of my chest, and i thought it was a heart attach, so i went to the er and after the usual tests, they said everything was fine. They gave me no meds. Two days later, the same thing except its spreading to my arms, shoulders and back. Im not sure if i have bad nerves, or if im too stressed with a newly opened business, college, and a jealous girlfriend. What i do kno is that i need to find out whats going on because now im scared.

Has someone found a way to reduce or stop these pains?
I am 24 yrs old. I have had several episodes here in the past week like that. I am on Xanax for anxiety but this is not like any of my other attacks. These HURT! hurts to breath hurts to move. All I can do is grab my chest n open n close my left hand. Hurt so bad once when I wAs driving I broke out in a cold sweat an had to pull over. I couldn't go any further. I haven't been to doctor yet but I'm afraid I'll end up there within next week because it's killing me.
For a yr now every once in a while I'll get a real painful feeling on the left side of my chest and the a couple seconds later it will be in the upper part of my left arm kind of like a numbness also very painful im 23 with 3 wonderful children and I thought I was stress related so I've never talked or been to my dr about this but now it's getting more frequent about 2 weeks ago I felt the chest and arm pain I felt real dizzie like I was going to pass out, after pain stopped I got real bad head ache which I've been getting those alot lastly to I just want some answers my kids need a healthy mother if anyone can give me answers or thoughts please email me tink_summers0269@ yahoo.com thank you very much for your time hope everyone in here having the same symptoms as me fund out what it is
I cannot believe there are so many others with this problem. I have been having tightness/pain/numbness on the left side of my chest, pain and numbness down my left arm and extremely high heart rate (130-150 bpm). I am 22, smoke and am slightly overweight, but I exercise regularly and don't take drugs and only drink socially. I also have problems sleeping due to this.
First Doctor told me stress, but the anxiety did not start until I began thinking I was going to have a heart attack.

My current doctor is lovely, but disregards much of what I say due to my age. I am willing to accept anxiety as a cause, but I would like everything else rules out first to be safe.

If I get a diagnosis I will post again!
hello im a 21 year old female I have been experiencing left arm numbness and chest,pain also I had a mri done an they told me that one of my blood vessels,had,split,in two an came back together as one but they said,it wasnt a concern every since then ive been having terrible headaches lefT arm pain an chest pain my heart races I always have A urge to burp the pain goes all they way up to my collar bone an throat I have had ekg"s stress test treadmill an xrays of,my heart been to the er 5 times an they keep,telln me nothings wrong I have a one year old,son an I am so scared an dont no what to do please help
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome or TOS encompasses three related syndromes that cause pain in the arm, shoulder, and neck:

Neurogenic TOS (Caused by compression of the brachial plexus.)
Characteristic sign, called the Gilliatt-Sumner hand, in which there is severe wasting in the fleshy base of the thumb. There may be numbness along the underside of the hand and forearm, or dull aching pain in the neck, shoulder, and armpit.

Vascular TOS (Caused by compression of the subclavian artery or vein.)
Pallor, a weak or absent pulse in the affected arm, which also may be cool to the touch and appear paler than the unaffected arm. Symptoms may include numbness, tingling, aching, and heaviness.

Non-specific TOS (Unexplained causes.)
Dull, aching pain in the neck, shoulder, and armpit that gets worse with activity. The symptoms are frequently triggered by a traumatic event such as a car accident or a work related injury. It also occurs in athletes, including weight lifters, swimmers, tennis players, and baseball players.

Treatment usually consists of exercise programs and physical therapy to strengthen chest muscles, restore normal posture, and relieve compression by increasing the space of the area the nerve passes through. Some people require surgery.
Anytime ANYONE is EVER having chest pain they should IMMEDIATELY call 911 or be taken to the ER. The worst that can happen is a heart attack resulting in death. It could even just be a panic attack, which should be taken seriously. The least it could be is a simple muscle pain from straining an area that isn't usually worked out, and if thats all it is don't worry about going home without a life threatening diagnosis. Be glad that it could have been worse
I too have had chest pain my left arm hurts and my sholder hurts on my left side and now my
I too have had chest pain my left arm hurts and my sholder hurts on my left side and now my etar is starting to hurt and when i talk i sometimes bit my tougne i am 31yrs old and i am overwieght i have been to the doctor and they tell me i am ok that its all anxiety but simetimes i feel like i am dieing if antone feels the same pls let me know
Im having the same problem but ive been dealing with chest pain on both sides, my shoulder blades hurt, under my armpits hurt, my back hurts and ive had a blood pressure of 140 and up for the past 3 years and its completly ruined my daily rutine. Ive been to the hospital 3 times and was told that i have a slightly enlarged heart but that im completly healthy other then that. I dont understand how someone who deals with pain like this every day is completly healthy? Can a doctor please answer my question with what i shopuld get done because its to the point where now every time i feel like i need to go to hospital my parents take it as me just complaining. respond please. Oh nd i just figured out on lactose and tolerant.
I have been having small chest pain on my left side off and on and now for the past 2 weeks my fingers in both hands have been numb and tingly. And when I have my arms in one position for to long they start going numb too.
Hi, Well, it's Christmas. I have eaten alot and drank alot of coke etc. I started experiencing heartburn and trapped wind and an uncomfortable stomach on Christmas night. The next day, I was in my bed and I had a bit of a sore heart and sort of shooting pains in my left arm. It wasn't severe but uncomfortable. I had a bit of an achy forearm too. Also, I have had a bad left shoulder/neck area, a numb pain, I thought it was a trapped nerve but I went to the doc's and said it was just a bad muscle. All these pieces of puzzle are comming together now and I'm a bit worried. I think the heart pain could just be indigestion but the pains in my left arm?... I am left handed could this just be a strain or something? I find it a bit of a coincedence though... I might make an appointment for this but I don't wanna be a hypocondriac. I'll see how it goes. It is now the 28th Dec -- 3 days after my heart pains and I still have them now.. I hope I survive lol
I'm only 20 years old 5'9" 215lbs, but i have a big build. i dont have a normal sleeping pattern and im on a crappy mattress where the springs kind of come out but, i get pains in my chest, back and arm..all the left side of my body and i start getting really worried when it happens. my doctor 2 years ago said it was nothing maybe a pulled mucle but i didnt believe him, these pains havent gone away since. does anyone know what this could be? I have a 15 month old son and a fiance, they mean they world to me and i dont want to be scared of my health all the time...i dont want to miss anything important because im worried all the time. these chest pains come fast and go away fast sometimes also, but other times its more of a throbbing type of pain. PLEASE help someone.
I have asthma and few month ago after years of controlling it had chest pains and pultation and was told it was my asthma upper the dos of inhalers but still have chest pains and sometime I have to suddenly take deep breaths and the middle of my chest goes numb can anyone help me
I'm 18 and I have been having severe chest pains for 2 years now. Panic attacks are consistent throughout the day. always nervous and uncomfortable. I've been to many doctors and specialists, they say I may have a severed nerve in my chest. I can't deal with it any more its driving me insane! I've been on so many different meds and all they do is make me feel even worse then I have to come off them because they don't help.. is there anyway of relieving the pain I used to be a heavy drug user and I know the anxiety has a lot to do with that. but I can't sit in a meeting or go to work without feeling like I'm going to freak out or have a heart attack.. everyone tells me I'm lazy because I don't want to go for a 5 hour bike ride or leave the house when I'm feeling really ******. No one gets it at all I'm hoping it goes away in the next year or so. theres no one I'll be able to deal with this the rest of my life
my husband 29 has the same problem as most on this page, he has back pain sore ribs numbness to his arm hand  and face. Finds it hard to breath thinks hes having a heart attack. cant sleep and is very worried. He went to the doctors on friday and they said that they thought it might have been a colasped lung, blood clot in the lung or lung infection. But after he looked at him he just said everything seems good take imbrofpen for the pain if it still doesnt get any better come back and see him. My husband is in still alot of discomfort am not sure what to do, as i see most of you that has the same problem arent getting no answers. I will keep you all posted i am making him another appointment on monday to see what they say
I have the same thing. My doc just says its anxiety but now im pregnant and cant take the meds but its hurting worse. Its miserable. Im 20  years old and overweight but have been told its not my heart at all.
hI THIS IS RAZA,
I have pinching and stebbing pain right bottom of my left chest. When I wake up from sleep i feel heavy pain at the back of my shoulders. I went to the doctor they did xray and blood test. All were fine and doctor discharge me saying it is muscles pain or stress.  I do not have any idea what it is. pain in my chest is some time so pinching that even i cannot sneez.
Ask your doctor if  Gabapentin capsules will help you manage the pain.
Best of LUCK to you. May you get better soon.
Mark
Dear Friends, I, too, have your symptoms, so I truly sympathize with you all.
Please consult with an ELECTROPHYSIOLOGIST, a person trained beyond regular  cardiology to operate on the electrical circuitry of the heart. This is a specialty about which I'd never heard. I was merely seeking a second opinion and picked the right doctor--he operated immediately in October, and said without the procedure, I would have not lived to Thanksgiving. I had chest pain, pain and numbness in my RIGHT arm and hand, a swollen right leg and foot, stabbing pain in my upper back, extreme shortness of breath, and wide variations in my heart rate that a heart monitor finally caught, ranging from 27 beats per minute up to 255 (not a typo) beats per minute. Nobody sent me to the electrophysiologist; it was sheer luck that I picked him out of the phone book. Later, I met SIX other people in my town who had started out with the same cardiologist as I, and
who decided to seek a second opinion at the last minute and consulted with an electrophysiologist. Each person ended up having the same surgery that I had, a cardiac ablation, in which tubes are inserted in the groin and the doctor and his trained staff sit and monitor each heart beat, trying to identify the areas where irregularities are occurring before they cauterize
every other electrical cell to make the heart work properly. It can be a slow and tedious procedure, but it is well worth it. Good luck to everyone!
check chostrocondridis, chest wall pain and it does feel like a heart attack, can last for months and everyone thinks your crazy i had this and its kinda a pheonomenia because its not really distinct in a specific reason or answer for it but its real and its a real disease
have you thought of Sciatica
hii i think it may be panic attacks..same thing is currently happening to me, and i am 21 years old..i get a sudden numbness in my chest and arm, and i often feel my heart cramping or being stabbed/a tingly painful feeling. but apparently based on a few doctors diagnosis, its just panic attacks. u dont need to have any major stressful event to provoke panic attacks- they just occur at anytime. i believe its a built up of stress and anxiety over time + an increased awareness of one's physiological states. when i start noticing any slight numbness i instantly become worried and anxious -> which consequently leads to a panic attack and my heart palpitating, leading to a vicious cycle. always remind yourself that youve had all these scans- if its anything physiological it would have most likely been spotted, and panic attacks lead to such symptoms in the chest anyways. so just calm yourself down and deep breath whenever u feel any pain or numbness. goodluck!
hi im 22yrs old and even im suffering from similar problem. i often get chest pain towards my rigth side and numbness of arms first which spreads on to my both leg and finally to right side of my head. from last friday im suffering from this and yesterday was really sick. was having short of breath and was not able to have any food and also was feeling giddy and having nausea. i really need help atleast to know whether this problem is due to anxiety or i should consult some doctor. i can always tell that im not a person who gets anxious very often.
I've had pretty much the same kinda pains for a few months now. Sometimes my arm gets really cold and other times it is not but,the pain is steady. The weird thing about my pain is that it jumps from my back to my arm to my shoulder then my chest and then my hand and never do they all hurt at the same time.A couple of hours here then a couple hours there, jumping from one spot to the other and it's freaking me out. I've got a feeling that it's poor circulation because it hurts more when my arm gets cold and a hot bath fixes me right up (but only as long as I'm in the hot water). Maybe I have a collapsed vein because I forgot to mention that I shoot dope periodically.
have you ever been tested for h.pylori bacterium? if not have a read up also sounds like there could be a sign of fibromyalgia? all these things can cause your symptoms, not being a doctor but a normal person who has experienced the same symptoms you had and discovered that especially fibromyalgia has many symptoms and i mean many!! dont forget to tell the doctor you see everything every niggle every pain every feeling because illness isnt just physical its also psychosymatic..probly spelt that wrong bet you know what i mean :)
Read this one,,,,,, this is crazy, problem area, left side of my body,with pain and numbness,and inflammation , my foot pain is the worst, it feels like I need to crack my big toe, squeeze my foot and it relieves all the pain for a brief moment while the blood begins to flow threw the left side of my body,, but that's just the beginning..I feel it all from my foot, to the leg, my thigh, hip, side and my arm,under arm, shoulder, chest and breast, my face, head,  ear, eye, tongue, nose, and shortness of breath, also my hand and pointing finger that feels the same as my big toe,,,,,,my Hands even turn blue on both my left and right sides,, that's lack of oxygen right? Other than that, it's all on the left side,, the right side of my body is just fine,,,,I even have
problems with memory loss,,,,,I don't except it but I do feel it.... What is this
crazy thing,,,,, is it a blood flow problem, cancer, muscular problem, stroke,
heart problem, collapsed lung,
breast cancer, arthritis, pinched nerves????? Is it a combination of things, What is it? I'm tired all the time, have to sit down and take my time on some days,,, it's not always that
bad but the pain and numbness is constant...I've been to a foot doctor,
general doc., with no real answer of what's wrong with me.. Heart test and
a number of other general test,,, all came back fine. Does anybody have a clue... I'm a female, 31, and about 215 lbs
Omg I have the same thing kinda . I'm 15 6'0  ft 260 pounds use to smoke and I get tightness in my left side of my chest and back and get pains in my left shoulder , arm , and hand it also gets numb I went to the doctors and they said I has acid reflux and gave me zantrex but it didn't help and it's been over a month I think it's my heart cause it hurts all around it please help !
I can't believe I found this. Just sitting here bored and decided to google my symptoms. I have been having these exact same things happen for OVER A YEAR!!!!!!! It actually started very slowly over two years ago and progresed badly. I go to the hospital, have very high blood pressure, see a doctor. Xrays, blood work, ect. Nothing! the attacks seem to get worse and wors that it feels like I should die but dont. One important thing you should know about me. I dont have panic attacks. I'm such a calm person and thats what is scariest! I abused meth and smoked as a younger person. Not proud of this, but now clean but chew, 28 years old. I see that these post are from 2007 thru 2009. It is now 2012 as I write this. Please, if anybody has found anything out, email, please! Every day is more suffering when u dont know what is wrong with you. Thank you. Jesse........ ***@****
i have had all of these chest pains sharp pain in my arms all of it i also thought it was a heart attack everyone i have seen told me its panick attack it has been going on now for about 3 months i also smoke but am also healthy thing is i am 16 years old witch is scary but thank u to everyone i thought i was just me
I'm experiencing the same issue. I had it for two months now. My blood pressure has been skyrocketing. I have two kids and feel the same way. Did you ever get the issue resolved.
i feeling pain in my right side chest .its begain from uper back and goes to chest some time it goest to arms,hands,shoulders
help me in this sitivation,the doctore says that your massals pain full.this is the main problem.i have also l4 l5 problem before 5 year ago
any body help me in this sitivation
muhammad javed

***@****
Dear Brother,

One simple nd straight fact. Every one has to Die, One day or other, but still every day we wake up and work for the bread and butter.
Be brave as you just yourself can overcome this thing. i also went through this but i managed to overcome it by thinking positive.

Love you
Saqib
I am going through tremendous pain. I took a fall a week ago and landed very hard against the steps on my back. I can barely walk, work ot do anything. I thought it would go away but nope. My chest kills me. Legs are numb one sec. Then aching the next. I can't raise my left arm higher than shoulder length. I'm in misery. Should I go to the hospital?
You described everything I am going through,, since my mom has been in and out of the hospital, (tonight she is in for a pacemaker) I have been a little worried about this pain on the left side of my chest.  I had a major panic attack 1 year ago,, and I think it's easing a little, but not the chest pains on the left side,, Do you know why it is the left side???? I asked my therapist/counselor today and he said he did not know.  And I've been light headed off and on, my blood pressure sometimes is pretty low, once I had it taken at the grocery store it was 87 over 68.  I've started taking vitamin, fish oil pills, drinking more water, trying to excercize 30 min a day, eating a little better, trying to relax, it's been hard with my mom in and out of the hospital.. I need to get back to dealing with life again,  any advice for me,, oh, and I sometimes before it starts to hit me hard, I try to get busy really fast, like I'll start cleaning, and fighting to avoid the attack!
ive been haveing the same problems and been to the er about 6 times they keep telling me am ok but they get bad like yester my arm my back chest stomach all hurt and a headace felt real week if theres anyone whoo knows what this could be plz email me at ***@****  thank u very much
I have been investigating same pain issues at my end...after reading and realizing some of my own circumstances - finaly suspect it's down to that damned Obusforme massager that was piercing in my upper shoulder back area from time to time when driving my car - thought nothing of it...later on the pain went to my chest area and i thought i weas having heart attacks it was so severe....

i am now able to diagnose and isoltae it (pain) better and report it better to my Doc and will ask her for an MRI to better determine the damaged area as a result of that massger and the prognosis since Home rest is not helping at all...

i gotta say, it was baffling to all docs taking tests everywhere from blood tests to stress test in thinking it was cardiac related ...anyhow, docs are at a loss since we sometimes can't really describe exactly where it (pain) originated from...anyways, this is how we learn, by sharing online...thank goodness
I been having really bad bad pain that stretch trom my neck down to my arms and to my back for many years. Now it is getting so bad I cant put up with it any more. My doctor dianose me with fybromayalgia. I been taking pain medication for it but now its getting to a point that I can't take it no longer that I just want to die and end it. I dont know what to do. Pain medication just temperarly take it away. I need real help but no one understand how to treat my condition.
Viewing 201-206 comments: