Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chest pain, arm numbness and upper back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have been to the hospital 3 times for chest pain, mostly on the left side, left arm pain (sometimes numb, sometimes achey (achy)), and sharp pain in my upper back.  They ran an EKG, CT scan (they thought i had a blood clot in my lungs), and a chest x-ray.  Their results where all basically the same, that it was anxiety or indigestion.    Now, I have been on Zoloft for a long time now for anxiety, but when I started having chest pains and numbness in my arm, I began having panic attacks. (Mainly because nobody can figure out what the problem is)  So, I am now on meds for anxiety attacks, which isn't helping because nobody can tell me what is wrong with me. Now I still have numbness/sharp pains in my left arm, which varies in strength.  I have a pain directly to the right of my left shoulder blade and another about 2 inches below my collar bone.  Pain medication temperarily helps. The other thing that really helps is drinking beer, which is very costly.  Sometimes it hurts when I breathe in, but it may just be the expansion of my chest that hurts.  Does anyone know of anyone who has the same sort of thing. This has been going on for 4 months and I just cannot take it anymore. I am basically afraid its my heart since my arm keeps getting numb and my chest hurts.  Help!!! Please! (Oh yeah, Im 26 years old, I smoke, but I am pretty healthy. I am 5'5'' and weigh 124 lbs)
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I have a similar problem.  A few weeks ago I noticed an ache in my left arm.  Sometimes it almost feels numb.  Recently I went to the doctor to have a general check-up.  My blood pressure and cholesterol checked out fine.  

Like you I smoke, but am relatively heathly.  I'm a 29 year old man about 5'11" 200lbs.  

I am a nervous type of person, that always is into something.  So this could be do to anxiety.
Three weeks ago I had a very bad crushing pain in the left side of my chest, I was sent to hospital and they didn't do a heart trace, they assumed it was pain in abdo after having a hysterectomy four months ago.

I was told I had shingles and after a week I was discharged.

The day after I had an awful pain in my left foot, and since then it has been swollen and very puffy.

The pain has come back to day in my chest, and I thought it could be a heart attack?.  I have numbness to my left arm excruciating pain in my chest and pain in my shoulder blades!!
The thing is I have had the pain for hours, I have been sick and I feel so tired and dizzy.  I am afraid that if I was to go to hospital I would be told it is nothing, but when you have pain and you can't sleep, or lie down and it hurts just to sit what do you do? and my foot hurts becouse of the swelling.

I am sorry I don't know what the matter is with you, but it appears odd that people have similiar symptoms and no one knows what the diagnosis is!!.
two weeks ago I woke up with severe pain in my right shoulder and down my arm.  I couldn't sit up and laying down was not great either.  After a week flat on my back I was able to go to the doctor.  I had an MRI done and was diagnosed with two protruding disks in my neck.  I still have problems with my arm and now the pain is moving down into my chest.  I am the beginning stages of treatment.  I have to have physical therapy and a surgical consult.  Sounds like you all are kind having the same thing.  I am 39 years old and I do not smoke.  Slipped disks do NOT show up in a regular xray.  I have two numb fingers, my elbow hurts and I swell up when I use the arm too much.  This stinks cause I work in a lab and fine motor movements are part of the job.  I also have three kids the youngest is two.
I hope this helps.
I want to say that im having acid reflux problems. I dont know now if what im felling is acid reflux
anymore. No one belives me that im having problems. I get this felling in my stomach like a numb felling and it goes up to my head fast and my vision gets blury. So i start to get scared and my heart is raising all the time even when i sitting around. I cant sleep cause i get this numb felling in my chest like i cant breath and there is something rong with my heart. I twitch out of my sleep with this pain it wont stop every time i want to sleep im scared. I dont no what to do and if anyone can help me. I have a 2 year old girl and shes all i think about. I cant work cause im always scared something is going to hapen to me. Plz someone help me.
I would say its definately related to your back. Sounds like a pinched nerve. Have you seen a chiropractor? I have heard amazing results from that. Give it a try! They are relatively inexpensive. It can't hurt to try. Its funny how our backs are connected to almost every part of our body. The numbness really sounds like a pinched nerve. Rarely is it related to your heart at such a young age and the fact that your a woman and those symptoms are not usually like that for a woman.
Also do you work alot with computers and typing cause you could have carpal tunnel syndrome too? Anyway, wish you luck.
Paula
i had way to much pure mdma, 16 pints of beer and loads of jack daniels last friday night. i felt fine after having only two hours sleep. went to work the next day and made three sales in an hour. then i nearly collapsed kept having to force my self to move and breath. then the numb left arm kicked in and chest pains. rushed to hospital i was honest about my exploits. 7 ecg's, and 4 letres of scayline solution later i was sent home and finally i got to order my chicken phile (the hottest available) curry. after all the doctors and nurses done for me for which im grateful. the curry really cleaned up my system, if you know what i mean. im still tight around the chest and cant trust my self to stop drinking. i have no choice but to stop. but im controlled by my alcoholism. any advice im only 27 and have had my liver repair its self once already
I was up to the hospital recently for chest pain and paralysis and they thought it Subclavian Steal Syndrome.
I found this page of comments with a Google search because I too am having some very strange pains in my left arm.  It almost like a tightness that becomes so unbearable that it begins to make my hand tingle or go numb and also make me sick to my stomach and unsteady on my feet.  Sometimes I also get chest pains on my left side or neck stiffness as well.  Mine started with what I thought was I pulled muscle I got while exercising on a gazelle.  The pain started on the left side as well at the base of my back and right above my butt cheek.  That pain has become so severe that I am now having difficulty walking, sleeping or sitting.  No amount of repositioning or medications has helped.  The closest I come to any relief is sleeping in a papasan chair.  I became terrified that this was a heart problem, but have been told repeatedly that it is not.  Now the pain has worked it's way across to my other leg as well.  Stress makes it worse and lifting heavy weights makes it unbearable.  I am a 55 year old female who quit smoking cold turkey 7 years ago.  I am admittedly a very anxious type which I know increases chest pains.  It's the arm and leg thing that is making me crazy as I am losing more and more mobility.  From all the stuff I am reading on these forums it seems obvious that the medical profession is becoming more and more useless on a daily basis and that we are nothing more than the doctors lab rats.  I have chosen to try an accupuncturist and will post my results with that treatment.  I will also follow the results you are all having and posting as well.
I found this site and post after I googled numbness, left arm, chest pain.  These are the symptoms I started experiencing a couple of nights ago..left arm sort of numb, chest pain in left part of chest, sometimes felt in my back.  Earlier I noticed other things wrong with only the left side of me.  Ear ache and headache in my left side, also a little numbness in left leg.  I would think it was lower back problems (pinched nerve) except for the pain in my chest, and my blood pressure has been high.  I was thinking it was my heart.  
you may also consider a diagnosis of myofascial pain syndrome which is taught bands of muscles. I had chest pain for 2 years, but after a negative work up for lung and cardiac, I was sent to physical therapy, had myofascial release done. It took 5 months of therapy 2-3 times per week. Now when I get chest pain, I know where to find these tight bands, how to release and stretch them. It is good to go for a "tune up" once and a while by a professional to release some of these "trigger points" or muscle knots when you cannot reach them. A person you can see for this is a physiatrist or rheumatologist.
Wow..it's almost as if I had written what you wrote. I myself had been in the hospital and doctor numerous occasions. one doctor told me I had a prolapsed heart valve and had to do an ultra sound of my heart to confirm it, but when that came back normal I switched my doctor and I explained my symptoms, which is exactly like yours and he looked at my age, weight, blood pressure and pretty much past history and said that he has no doubt it's Costochondritis. It's the inflammation in the cartilage of your ribs and the pain will rap into your back and into your arm. All it takes is prednisone, a drug that helps all sorts of things, also helps by reducing swelling and redness and by changing the way the immune system works. Hopefully this eases the anxiety. I to was put on xanax for this pain.

BREEZE
I also was told once in the ER that it was costocohndritis but they said to just take motrin and stuff and it would get better and then they said that it wouldn't come back but yet I have these knots that keep showing up in the chest and stomach and then they will go down or not hurt and then they show back up or hurt.  I don't know they only releive I have had has been from steriod packs that I was on when it all first started but they don't like to give that to you very often and then after two days of taking it I have pain in my back where I had two epidurals with my last baby and it feels so real that I jerk cause it feels like the needle is going back in the same spot and I tried the chriopractor but I wanted to cry when they was messing with that spot in my back cause it hurt so bad and its a sharp pain like a needle when anyone rubs or messes with that spot.  I am just tired of the pain and the knots that no one cares about.
I have an 18 year old son, recently he informed me that he has been getting numbness in his left hand and it moves up his arm, he gets light headed and gets muscle twitches as well as chest pain, he said that it feels like his heart is cramping up.  I am going to talk to my doctor on friday.  The first thing that came to mind was anxiety, but i am not sure about the numbness and muscle twitches, anyone have any input or advise?
From what I gather researching this for a while; everyone (including myself) that have these symptoms also admit to worrying and/ or stress relative issues.  I am assuming that your son is graduating from HS soon.  Is he worried about college or post HS?

I do not have the arm numbness, but do have sore muscles and twitching.  For me, it is mostly a tightness in my chest (breastbone mainly) and my throat feels raw, especially if I excercise.  I have been diagnosed with GERD and as of right now am assuming that stress is causing my GERD to act up in turn casuing more acid production which is effecting my esophagus and throat.  Hope this helps.
I googled numbness in left side of the body and chest pain. I went to ER 4 days ago with acute pain in left upper chest behind my collarbone, inability to move my left arm, shoulder pain, and shortness of breath.  The pain was preventing me from breathing.  I was diagnosed with pneumonia and was told something to the effect that the shoulder pain and breathing problem up close to the collarbone was because the erratic action of the diaphragm sometimes trips up spinal nerves and affects the shoulder muscles too.  I was glad to have a diagnosis and after forcing some deeper breaths through the pain, it subsided through the day.  While recovering in the hospital, that same afternoon, and upon being questioned by medical staff about chest pain, I did notice the pain with inhalation  was also slightly around the back of the left ribs, but just more severe up near the original shoulder location.  At home later, during a coughing fit, while rolled up to one side, I ended up with a cramp that caused that area around the back of the ribs to become the new predominant pain location.  It was as if that slightly sensitive area just cramped up and now, I can't take full breaths without feeling that pain and coughing also exacerbates it.  On top of that, I periodically experiencing tingling in my left side yesterday and it went down my legs briefly. It seemed to be mostly gone, but there was a deep ear sensation on the left too.  Just like my whole side is being taken over by this.  I don't read this in any of the pneumonia symptoms and don't have any other severe chest pain. I am having trouble getting follow-up care for the pneumonia, because I don't have a regular GP on my new medical plan since January and nobody in NYC that takes CIGNA that I have called will see me this week. I will continue to make an effort to see an internist. The fever and cough have subsided and antibiotic treatment seems to be working well.  I thought this left side of the body numbness and muscular cramping may be a side-effect of the antibiotic - but that didn't seem likely.  So I am thinking the left side of my body is inflamed by some nerve pinching exacerbated by the diaphragm or the overall weakness from being sick (and not ruling out the antibiotic) and I need a chiropractic adjustment.  I am wondering if anyone out there has experienced such things during pneumonia or even outside of pneumonia - as it seems there is some consensus on this board that such left side issues are mostly pinched nerves.  I am 41 and generally healthy and fit with some musculo-skeletal issues and general susceptibility to recurring left side of the body issues e.g. sciatica, excessive tightness in the left side of my neck (probably chronic).  Chiropractor has diagnosed me with a slight S-scoliosis through X-Rays which can contribute to a lot of my one-side weakness issues and other hip and sacro-iliac problems.  Because the only constant pain factor is the neck tightness, I am also wondering if a lot of this pain is cervical in origin. Would that warrant an MRI? Perhaps treatment will just keep it in check.  I hate to self-diagnose because I am usually up the wrong tree - but don't have any more resources or time for extensive diagnostic treks into the land of "nothing is wrong" as what seems to be the common result from what I see.  If it all boils down to a pinched nerve or even cervical disk problems simple enough: Affording the money and time that the frequency of care of chiropractic demands is also an issue but I will go at least this week.  I am considering just starting my own neck traction at least at home - can that be helpful? And has anyone with cervical spondylosis (if I am spelling that right) benefitted from neck traction? I can create an inversion table and do things with supported yoga poses that can lengthen the space between the neck vertebrae assuming it can't hurt.  
just want to hear your opinion pls. i do have experienced chest pains for quite sometime. like everybody else in this forum. Problem is when i visit clinic, hospitals for check ups supported with lab results, everything is normal but the chest pains persist. its like stabbing in my left chest and shortness of breath, then will result to left arm numbness. no specific time when the pain attacks. even in my most relax time.  my hubby insist that something is really wrong but why doctors can't diagnose it. Its a relief to know i am not alone with this agony. some people felt the same, even worse than i do.

I am not a smoker nor a drinker. just retired from work for this reason thinking stress contributes the pain,till now, pain persists.

thanks medhelp crew. waiting for your reply. please send to my email add.

glysdi
Im a 22 Year old male, experiencing the same problems that many have listed. (Pain in left arm/tingling/weakness, pain in left leg/numbness, pain in the left side of my chest, also a painless spasm/twitch in my side/rib area, also pain in my side.)

All of these things are happenning to me on a constant basis, somedays worse than others, but often with "severe" shortness of breath. I've been in and out of the ER like 10 times in the past month and a half.

They had me on a 48 hour halter? monitor to monitor my heart, which turned out fine, i've had 6 ECG's run on my heart, all turned out fine. Also had a chest X-ray (no clot or pneumonia) blood work 3 times, no evident problems. Real Stressful!!!

I've been told that there panic attacks, but it doesnt make sense, because these episodes appeared unprovoked, with no real stress in my life at the time.

Of course now I am far more panicked and worried. Its been a few months now and the problems persist. I have an EMG for my left arm tomorrow, but something tells me its circulatory in some way, I'm really hoping that they can find this problem. I'll keep you posted, it calms me down a bit knowing im not alone, thanks everyone.
Oh! Also I have the raspy rawness in my throat as well, it is like a cough, but a non-productive cough feeling really, if that makes sense. Also all my symptoms are whether im active or inactive.
Wow, one of my episodes of shortness of breath and pain happened the morning after a hard night of drinking as well! What is this strange stomach, chest, arm ailment?

This has got me confused, worried and curious.
The symptoms you guys are describing could be: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

My brother was in a similar situation as you guys.  Every day he would go to a doctor and tell them "my right arm fells numb and I get severe chest pains."  The doctors kept on telling him that he was just nervous.  He listened to them and accepted their advice until he almost died one day.  His whole arm become purple and his lungs become filled with blood.  We went to the hospital right away, but the doctors were still confused.  After a long period of series of tests they finally figured out that his vein was being blocked and that cause blood clot and release of blood all the way across into the lungs.  He went under surgery right away and the complication has now been solved.

My advice to all of you would be to inform your doctor of your possible condition.  Don't always listen to doctors as if they never make mistakes in diagnoses.  Also try to stay away from anxiety pills, they contain elements that interfere with your nervous system.  It’s an amateur medication which has been tested and proven to complicate the nervous system.

For more information about Thoracic Outlet Syndrome visit the following page:
http://www.drugs.com/enc/thoracic-outlet-syndrome.html

Peace,
---
There is only one true Lord; he is the creator of everything and everything around us.  He is the one who created Buddha, Adam, Abraham, Moses and Jesus and Muhammad.  To worship any human being or anything that was created by the lord would be a serious error.  Why not worship the lord who created everything and give him his full due, instead of that which he has created.  Our lord exists and loves those who search for the truth, who love one another and who shine the light upon evil.
For more info visit the following page:
http://cdadawah.com/common_questions.php
You should also consider doing complete blood panel and getting your hormones checked. Sorry not exactly sure which hormones for women, but this is really important

Most important to stay healthy follow following tips:

1. Never eat or drink that is harm to your health
2. Never smoke or quit immediately
3. Do regular exercise, yoga, mediation with first priority
4. Think positive, smile and be happy within
5. Never think or talk negative
6, and
NOTHING IS PERMANENT IN LIFE-"NEITHER GOOD LUCK NOR BAD LUCK"
so, never ever worry

Be kind to ALL AND LOVE ALL

You will be the most healthy and HAPPIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD
DOCTORS are good when you have serious problems, accident or SURGERY ETC. not for commod health problems. THE BEST DOCTOR is YOU FOR YOURSELF. But never experiement anything. There is no harm taking consultation from DOCTORS before you take any medicine or never take any medication without proper prespcription.

GOOD LUCK and BE HEALTH FOREVER.....
i swear it was like i wrote this. i to have very similiar problems with chest pain, right below my collar bone on my left side, going down my arm but the pain doesnt go past my elbow. i also get a numbness in my left hand, a tingling.     the pain also stretches across my chest to the right side, right below my collar bone, but i only notice that real bad when i breathe in deep.

the pain usually goes down my chest to the center/left side of my chest, right where my heart is, but after getting and EKG and a stress test, they seemed to have ruled that out. and after a chest xray they seem to believe that my lungs are fine as well. they think its skeletal muscle, but physical therapy doesnt seem to be helping my situation at all.

im at a dead end, and its becoming unbarable, had anyone been through a similiar situation???
Yes.  That is exactly what I am going through.  Same symptoms - EKG, Stress Test, ECHO, etc... going on three months now.  Please let me know if you find out anything.  ***@****
9 years and counting for me...

I have seen a shrink and it does help.  Reading this forum, I am more convinced than ever that the problem is mental, not physical.  Stress and anxiety manifest themselves in a physical form.  For me, it is left arm pain and dizziness.  

One important thing that I have learned is that anxiety can come on from things we enjoy.  For example, the adrenaline rush of a happy occassion mimics the anxiety/stress.  Our stressed out minds see adrenaline the same way that it see stress.  When we feel bad when good things are happening, its normal.

Like all of you, I gone to the ER, had EKG's, stress tests, etc.  Reading your accounts, it sounds like a broken record.  One that plays in my own house.

This is my opinion on the matter.  Make sure you have have the serious stuff ruled out (heart, lungs, etc.) and then proceed down the anxiety and stress relief.  Read up on stress and anxiety attacks so you understand the difference.  

My only relief is from a therapist that specializes in anxiety and stress disorders.  The bottom line is that we are not alone with this.
I have the exact same problem.
Pain in my chest, arms, back neck, acute abdominal pain, headaches, nausea, shortness of breathe, blurred vision, and now panic attacks because I'm paranoid that I'm dying. Underneath my armpits will hurt all the way down to my pinky fingers.
I've had all kinds of tests:EKG, MRI, hydascan, holter monitor, stress test, RUQ, urine analysis, chest xray, and all the blood work that doctors can think of, and it all came back normal. I've had this problem going on 8 months, and it was ruining my life.

I've met with about 6 or 7 doctors, and had a full work up done and they all say the same thing, that this will not kill me, and it's stress.
Mine happens to be a combination of post-partum dep. and stress, all the same.

I calmed down alot once I realized that I wasn't going to die, and I had to learn just to take some deep breaths and pray about it.

Hope my experience helped!
My fiancee has similar problems.
His left arm pain seemed to disappear for a few weeks after he received an injection of steroids in his back. After 2 weeks the pain came back and he felt worse then before because his body has to heal  after taking the steroids shot.
Doctors still seem unsure about his problem but...
I believe there is a problem with his spine and you should see a neurologist like he
should. Maybe a slipped disc (10 percent of the time its cervical) or bone spur..
Xrays don't pick up slipped discs and MRI's are expensive so your doctor is usually
not going to order one unless they feel  its necessary.
My fiancee also  experiences panic attacks that are likely caused by uncertainty and worry of his condition combined with the pain.
If your EKG is normal its not a heart problem, however, your heart rate can increase when you are in pain.

See my post for my fiancee below:

I am diagnosed with diabetes, upper and lower back pain, Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis, epididymitis, high blood pressure, depression, and a possible MS disorder. I have symptoms of peripheral neuropathy even though this hasn't been added to my list of diagnosis. I have excruciating crushing and burning pain running through my left arm on a nonstop basis. I feel pain all over but the arm back overshadows the rest of my body pain and I have to do something to get rid of it. It is interfering with my daily life. I take pills for my heart, diabetes.
The neurontin pills don't really help the pain..just helps the shaking I have at night. The doctor has tried me on Darvocets, Tylenol 3 with Codeines and none of those pills ease the pain..just makes me feel groggy and dizzy. I sometimes break out in sweats.

In 2006, a MRS was done on my lower back and
the doctor told me that detioration of the spine was occuring. In 2008, I had an x-ray taken of my lower back and the doctor said nothing abnormal was found. My doctor sent me to a pain center and the pain doctor gave me 4 cortisone injections in my cervical spine. He said the pain in my left arm was definitely caused by a problem in my cervical spine. He recommended an MRI to my doctor.

The first shot helped me regain mobility and lessened the pain in my arm from an average of 8-10 down to a 3 or less.
However, after a month the pain returned.
My doctor said I cannot have an MRI done because my medicaid will not cover it if I had an mri done in 2006. However, the MRI I had done in 2006 was on my lower back. I read that x-rays are very different from MRI's. I read that an MRI is necessary in order for docotrs to find out if I have a slipped disc,etc. My doctor gave me a slip to get this x-ray done but I have had arm pain since 1987. The pain has subsided at times and most of the time the doctors I visited in the past accused me of not having pain at all. My pain is invisible and it is getting worse. Sometimes, I feel like like chopping off my left arm so I don't have to deal with this anymore. I never get a normal nights sleep and I don't feel like waking up in the morning because I don't want to feel the pain.
Can you help me get rid of this pain?
Any advice will be appreciated.

This letter was typed by my home care nurse because I have extreme numbness in my hands and I can't type for long periods of time.
hey i was wondering if you ever got a diagnosis of what you have and how you had it fixed, i typed in all the symptoms i had and it matched up errily to yours down to the blurred vivision. my doctor has ran so many tests and ive seen countless of docs and everything comes back nnormal im afraid that im dying and spend my days in bed praying for life.. can you possibly tell me what this  is and what to ask my doctor to check for?

thanx

marie age 23 -scared to death
The las few weeks i have had the same symptoms i have chest pains on my let side and my left shoulder hurts and somtimes goes numb also i have really bad upper back pain at first i thought it was heart burn or indigestion but now i am not so sure i am getting into the doctor this week because it is always there even when i sleep                                                         Thanks   jen 30
hi - I have just signed up here as I have similar symptoms to all those who have posted - (found the info on a web search) - I am 43, mother of 4 beautiful kids - eldest 15 and youngest 8 - i am a smoker since i was 16 and in April I was signed off work for two weeks minimum for high blood pressure.  At that point I had chest pain and an ECG showed no abnormalities - all the usual docs checks showed nothing other than stress etc.  Now 5 months on the chest pain recurs and is accompanied by back pain - both on the left hand side - and then my left hand feels almost numb - not totally numb just not 'right'.  Im terrified to go back to the docs and be sent for an xray in case I am diagnosed with lu ng cancer - Im sure this is everyones fear - that or chronic heart disease. The thing is these symptoms come and go - can go for weeks with nothing then it hits - dotn really know if this is helpful or not but every test that I have had (bar the chest x-ray(too scarey) ) have come up with nothing.  Any other suggestions as to cause would be greatly appreciated.
Just curious to know how many of you that responded with similar symptoms are from NY? I noticed one mention of NY (where I am from as well). I have had many of these same symptoms for over 4 years now and I know 2 other people from NY with the same problems. Possibly environmental??
this may sound terribly wierd coming from my standards but i too have had most of the same things mentioned on this website.  sharp chest pains where my heart is, numbness in my left arm and left leg, can't sleep, high blood pressure up to and fluxuating around 165 to 180/ 85 to 92 with a heart beat of 55 to 120 beats a minute due to a heart murmur.  My family on mother and father's side both have a history of high blood pressure and diabetes.  i have never smoked and never drinked. doctors say i have a hole in my heart but yet no medicine and no straight foward diagnosis.  The problem is i am only 19 years old.  any suggestions?
Like most of the people in this forum, iv experienced the same symptoms for the past 2 years now.  When it first started happening i was positive it was my heart. Why else would i have chest pains, numbing in the left arm, tingling sensations throughout the chest and shoulder. Sometimes feels like my chest is on fire.  and the left arm is often very fatigued after an episode.   Iv been refered to a Neurologist; they are certain that there is a nerve being pinched somewhere.  Unfortunately i am uninsured at this time and am unable to afford a neurologist.  The fact the the heart has been ruled out helps me feel as though my life is not at risk everytime i get these pains.... in return i find them to be more tolerable because i dont get so worked up about what is happening to me.  I do on the other hand have a history of heart attack and stroke in my family, my father had a heart attack two mo. ago, which he survived; it is scary though because he is only 50 and in impecable health.   (or so we thought) I am therefor always worried about it.
i have had chest pain for more than a year.  it started with a slight popping in my chest (sturnum) many years ago and now it has started coming back. i have been to the doctor twice, once it was a bruised sturnum and something about the cartlidge above my heart.  now the pain is intensifing and is spreading to my back and i have numbness in both my left and right arms as well as left leg and the left side of my face .  i constantly have lightheadness.  i am 17 and weigh 120. i am active as a teenager should be. no drugs, no drinking. this is something serious. help.
I'm 22 this year and I neither drink nor smoke. over the past few months I have been experiencing many symptoms described in here - chest pains (sharp/dull), numbness in left hand, pain in back and neck, anxiety attacks etc. I have gone to see at least 3 doctors and all of them disregard my symptoms because of my age and because i am female, since males are more prone to heart related issues. This really frustrates me and I don't know what to do. I sometimes cry myself to sleep because I don;t know if I'll even wake up in the morning. It's getting quite depressing. Can stress manifest itself in ways so similar to heart problems?
wow! Me too. I thought  I was having a heart attack. I was reading aboutsubclavial steal syndrome.
hi! i have the same symptoms, i have numbnessin my left arm for almost amonth now, i occasionally having chest pain or heaviness mostly in upper chest, it's started when i had my first panic attack, i already consulted few doctors, 3 of them are internist, they requested for my blood sugar and cholesterol test, it was fine and both in normal range. sometimes when im having panic attack i calm my self  
by listening to soft music or your kind of music, drink some warm milk, take a warm bath, and sometimes when i feel my heart is racing or beating too fast and when i thought that i can't handleit anymore i take atenolol half tab of 25 mg, it helps!  i use it for situational anxiety and i also have a 1 tablet maintenace of b-complex vit. everyday. My advice to you is measure your blood pressure 3x a week, take bcomplex, lessen your sweets, caffaine, colas, and limit your smoke. and ofcourse yor fat intake, eat meat but dont eat the fat. your not alone in experiencing anxiety and panic attacks, lats just pray that god will listen to us and guide us in everyway. Godbless!
Guys if u want to talk and ask some question or just need someone to listen to, this is my phone # 09216986253 i willing to listen and exchange comments, be can help each other. godbless! hope for your reply..
i have had everything in teh first post for almost 9 years.  have had all kinds of tests ekg, blood work you name it i had it done and still have no idea what is causing it.  they did find out that i have mutral valve prolaps but my daughter stated that it shoudl not make me have chest pains everyday.  so hopefully you guys can figure out whats wrong so maybe i can go to my doctor and get some results.
26 year old female
Hello all.  I also have similar symptoms.  My arm discomfort is mostly left sided but I also have chest discomfort/pressure with it.  I also can go months in between episodes.  I have a had numerous EKG's, treadmill stress test, echo stress test, and a nuclear stress test.  All of the tests show that my heart is functioning fine, no evidence of CAD, but that I do have MVP.  My cardiologist and my PCP do not believe that the MVP is causing my problems though.  I also thoracic outlet syndrome on the left side, a hiatal hernia and GERD.  I am told anyone of those can cause my symptoms.  I am having extreme anxiety over this because all these symptoms are suggestive a heart condition but with all the tests I have had none of my doctors believe it is coming from my heart and they refuse to do anymore testing on my heart or anything else for that matter.  They have me on propranolol 20 mg bid and I was just recently prescribed Celexa 20 mg 1 a day and .5 Ativan PRN.  I don't want to start taking the anti-anxiety meds again, I took them for 2 years and was able to get off of them 4 years ago :-).  Oh, and I'm only 30 years old, most of this started 6 years ago but it got really bad in 2006 when I was pregnant with my son.  I've tried physical therapy, on my second round.  It worked the first time but this time around I have a different therapist and she doesn't know anything about thoracic outlet syndrome which is very frustrating.  Hope everyone is well...

Shell
Hi, I'm a 58 female and have been suffering from severe pressure sensation on my chest for almost 2 years. I'm also suffering with problems with both shoulders but the problem is more severe in my left shoulder and can only lift my arm to a certain level without a great deal of pain (GP tells me it's 'wear & tear'. I also experience pains in my grain, plus a burning sensation on both shin bones. I had part of my thyroid removed a couple of years back and I'm on Thyroxine 100mg,Valsartan 160mg,Atenolol25mg,Navidrex 0.5mg for high blood pressure.With my chest pain I also tend to experience a burning sensation,irrating little cough. I've had numerous tests i.e. CT scan on throat, barium swallow,chest x-ray on shoulder and chest, ECG and every test has come back completely normal.I've been told that I haven't got a hiatus hernia. I know I'm an anxious type of person but do tend to think friends,family & GP tends to think this is a nerve problem but I really do not believe these pains are stress related. My GP now thinks my problems might be related to  Fibromyalgia. I just wonder if the medications I'm taking could be part of the problem. My pain and discomfort actually seems worse during the night and when I first wake up. I long to feel normal once again because feeling like this is so awful.

I have been having very similar issues with chest pains on both sides (usually left side), arm, hand, shoulders, tingling and numbness, and some abdominal pains.  I was told it is a combination of herniated disks and anxiety.  

It is still hard to believe that these symtoms (symptoms) are not cardiac related, but everyday i start to believe it even more.  

4 days ago I woke up to this sharp pain in my right shoulder and two days after that the pain was in my arm as well now today the pain is in my shoulder, arm and chest. It realy hart to breath. and I am only 16 years old and I have tried to get my mom to take me but she wont she thinks I have sleeped rong. i also have ben having thes realy bed head pains that hart so bad i can't even pick my head up with out crying
I am having all these symptoms for 2 years now. I have had several EKG's and my heart comes back fine everytime. The doctor told me it was the muscles in my chest inflammed, but I am being to wonder if that is right. I get dizzy alot, my chest hurts constantly, my arms go numb and now the pain is in my back. I am so afraid i am dying now i have bad nerves. I am 29 and have three kids. If anybody can help me please do. I am so tired of this.
I have been going through similar issues.  Docs are saying costocongritis or anxiety.  Good luck!
It feels good to know that i am not alone. Im a 19 year old female. I get the same symptoms, pain in my left arm, AnD on the left side of my chest, and sometimes my heart races. when my heart races i get scared. I also have pain in my back sometimes on the left side. . I have always been a  nervous person.I had an EKG done when it first started happening. the doctors say i have panick attacks. this has been going on for a couple years now. What should I do? I  always feel like something is wrong with my heart. How do i learn to relax. Is it normal to feel pain when i worry?
I was windering if you ever found out what was going on???  Please let me know.

I am a 26 year old smoking female, and I found this site because I have the EXACT chest pains you describe. I have had mine for about 2 years, but only recently went to the doctor about it, had some sort of heart test and all came up fine.
Going to the doctor again tomorrow, but decided to Google if I should expect something bad, as I was getting really worried that it could be lung cancer or something, but this made me feel a little better. I have written all the suggestions out and will tell my doctor to check for all of them, after he tells me for he thinks it is.
My chest is throbbing right now. Thank God for the internet.
If I get my pains properly diagnosed, I will post what happens here. to help more people like us!
Ok I wrote down all my symptoms and all the things it could be, from my research on the internet and went and saw the doctor.
I only told him my symptoms at first so he could form his own conclusion and then I told him the list of stuff that I found out it could be so we could eliminate each one. I had an ECG and a chest xray, both were perfectly healthy. After that we went through the list of what it could be, and basically narrowed it down to Costochondritis or some other skeletal or muscular inflammation, or simply anxiety. I never thought that I was a person that is overly anxious but the doctor said that its quite common for anxiety and stress to manifest itself physically through chest pain.
I got some over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs, but havent had to use them yet, as the pain hasnt bothered me that much since I found out its nothing.
Now that i have been speaking to people about it, there are a lot of people with the same problem, so I wish I went to the doctor about this earlier rather than spending years being paranoid and thinking that there is something seriously wrong with me, and I just didnt want to have to deal with it. I am sure if you are reading this page you are in the same boat, and do yourself a favour and go to the doctor and get the worry out of the way.

Here are the symptoms that I had:
-chest heaviness
-sharp stabbing pain (similar to pinched nerve)
-the pain is mostly behind the breast bone/ribs and higher to the left, and sometimes moved to the right of my chest and I could feel it at the back as well. Most of the time I felt that I could touch the source of the pain if my ribs were not in the way.
-occasional shooting pains down the arm and numbness/fatigue in the left arm
-felt that stretching helped the pain or holding my arm to my chest
-no issues breathing and big breaths did not have any effect on the pain
-sometime pain is constant for hours and sometime just a few stabbing pains, regardless of if I am stressed or relaxed.
-can exercise and there was no pain caused as a result (i dont exercise very often so very unfit, but pain was not associated)
-only had a panic attack once, thought it was a heart attack, but it was not, so had to have been a panic attack, though I was at home relaxing
-I occasionally smoke weed, and the pain got worse then, but the doctor said that thats probably unrelated, as its well documented that THC causes your heart valves to tighten and once its out of your system the relax again.
-no heart palpitations
-no persistent cough (sign of lung cancer)

I hope this helps someone. Go and see a doctor anyway for a piece of mind, but at least you will know going there that the prognosis is good
I had no idea so many people are dealing with the exact same thing I am. I do deal with anxiety but I refuse to take medication. For the past week I have been having jaw & face pain, chest pain & tightness, arms & shoulders going numb, along with my legs feeling like they are giving out on me. I went to the ER 3 times in 1 weekend (they thought I was going crazy). I freak out because I have a 1 year old and it is difficult dealing with a busy 1 year old & anxiety attacks.

I am 39 f physically fit and 2 mos preganant (ran 3 half marathons last year and was running 3 days per wk before pregnancy). About one week ago i was just tossing something into a laundry basket when all of a sudden a sharp, shooting pain went from my left hand up to my chest. My hand and arm hurt a bit after the shooting sensation stopped but then tingled a bit. I felt a little bit dizzy and then was fine about 10 minutes later. It happened again today as i was just standing in the kitchen but the pain went into my upper back instead of my chest this time.
Is this stress? I started a new high paying job and my boss is crazy and I hate it there... and also i have been very tired and had a queezie stomach since getting pregnant.

Am i having a heart attack? I don't think it is that serious... but it's a little scary

Thanks everyone/
I am very glad that I have found this site because I feel as though I am not alone.  I am quite disheartened to learn that most of you have not found out a diagnosis because I was hoping to get some information to go on.

I am 25 years old, eat fairly healthy, drink moderately and smoke socially.  I am in relatively good shape and at a good body weight.  About six months ago, I started having really bad chest pains and went to the ER, twice in one week.  They were never able to figure anything out and said that it was probably acid reflux.  The symptoms went away and came back several months ago worse than ever.  I have constant chest pain and arm pain.  Sometimes my arm goes numb for hours at a time.  Usually it feels like I have a tourniquet on it.  My symptoms are constant, but get worse at night.  I lie down and sometimes the numbness spreads into my jaw and I cannot sleep and usually take something to get me to sleep.  

I was fairly concerned because my mother died at 46 from aortic dissection and I have never experienced symptoms like this.  I have had blood tests, chest xrays, EKG, Echocardiogram, breast ultrasound and am going for a nuclear treadmill test tomorrow (which I highly doubt is going to show anything)  and still have no clue as to what is going on.

I have had several ideas as to what may be happening, but don't want to go through another round of tests until I have a better idea of what it is.  If anyone thinks any of these are on the right track, please let me know.  I had asthma pretty badly when I was young, but haven't had symptoms in about 12 years.  Is it coming back?  I had back problems and had a spinal fusion about 10 years ago from scoliosis?  Could it have something to do with it?  If anyone has any suggestions......please let me know.  I am getting panic attacks from having these symptoms, which probably just exacerbates the problem.  I am getting desperate and my quality of life has definitely gone down.  Can anyone help me........?

I have just recently got all these problems chest pain all over the chest mainly in the middle, few ibuprofens clears taht up for abit.  i still get the numbness all over well more of a tingling nothing has ever gone completely numb.  I do suffer from chronic anxiety so i freak out extremely easy especially since i have just recently stopped drinking after nine yrs of almost non stop drinking....at least every other day or two.  The numbness sticks around for alot of the times mainly when i'm sittin up...but it could b since i have pretty much bed ridden for the last 2 days and my blood isn't flowing rite i'm not to sure about that tho....pretty much the tingling and the slight stabbing chest pains i get trigger my anxiety and my mind keeps running thinking its my heart but i heard heart pain lies alot deeper then what i'm feeling my still makes u wander since i haven't been to a doc yet, mainly cause i don't think i can afford it since money has been an issue.  My heart never really has raced taht much tho just here and there when i start thinking about it too much. btw i take nothing for my anxieties cause i found that none of them really work i eventually will prolly give u more health problems.

male, 23, 150lbs....not really in shape, get winded real easy when its hot
i am soo happy to find this site i thought i was going crazy and it seems so do the doctors i have all the same symptoms and the pain is in my left leg too some times i have anxiety which makes it hard to sleep when i have this pain but no doctor will help me they all say i'm fine.like someone said drinking does help as odd as it seems but very expensive.
drinking does help and yes it does get expensive but if u have anxieties as bad as i do, the next day when your hung over it amplifies the anxieties 10x's over ***** ***.

Is anyones anxiety chest pains like a stabbing pain in the center or left of your chest well stabbing is maybe alittle much maybe just more of a mild squeezing or prickling pain. and numbness of arms or neck and fatigue
i am 24 years old female after I had my last daughter i was so happy healthy and 2 weeks after i had this terrible chest tightness and pain its always the left side smae spot its always achey (achy) then i will get sharp pains and its scary it really feels like my heart not around it.  and now I have had terrible feelings in my arm and fingers numbness tinglying etc.  I feel like I am crazy I went to the dr also 3 different ones all say Im fine I dont eat anything different i feel happy I work out dont smoke etc it just happened one day and its been almost a year I cant sleep it wakes me up etc. HELP!
I nearly got hit by a car 5 days ago and ended up having a anxiety attack that night.. didn't go to the doc's that night... my left arm is numb and hurts.. my chest hurts.. my heart rate is fast... sometimes my left leg is numb... and it won't stop.. so last night I went to hospital.. and they said it could be anxiety.. like everyone else.. my heart-rate is 'fine' and they said your arm could be numb because you haven't been using it.. but it's been numb for days... smoking triggers it more... I get shaky sometimes.. the doc's gave me valium.. don't think it's helping though.. but I'm going to the actual doctors tonight... so let's hope they know what's wrong.... I've quit smoking :) I'm 18 and this is annoying me................
+ they check my heart rate with a ECG and my blood pressure and said it was fine.. :s
I have the left ear ache too.. wtf? this is weird.. the doctors have no idea
my arm gets red and it went purple when I was in hospital last night... it was ****** up.. the stupid doctors said it was because I wasn't using my arm as much when I was that day....... grrrrr.. I hope I'm okays and everyone else is too...
I have been through much of what you went thru 7 years ago.  I had a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic.  I learned, after allot of research and not giving up, that Consequently my troubles were due to the initial allergic reaction I had to the antibiotics.  Now the origins of my situation my be different than yours or others but my point is don't give up... you have one body, one life.  In the mean time, before you get the correct answers to your problems... accept that it may be anxiety.  Keeping that in mind... For myself, I had to accept that if I die, I die... I live each day as if it is my last.  Isn't that how we should anyways?  I also have discovered that your diet and stress also plays a role.  It is amazing how the mind effects the body.  

And last but not least... find a doctor who is patient and doesn't just want to write you off because he cannot find the answer in your 5 minute visit.  I believe ego, greed, and impatience are qualities which some doctors should leave at home.  Each person is unique and individual.  Just because something may work for one patient doesn't man it works for the next.  

Any doctor who simply tells you it's anxiety and pushes drugs without proper testing and clinical examining is a quack.  More research and education needs to be given to family practitioners about hormones and proper testing.  I have heard so many stories of how people have went through hell until their hormone levels were tested and corrective therapy administered.  

One final note... Anxiety may be what is causing your discomfort and stress.  If anything... what you are going through is enough to cause stress and anxiety.  People need to realize... including doctors that the physical and emotional stress caused by anxiety is real.  The pain is real, not fabricated in the back of ones mind.  It cannot be simply turned off and on.  It can be crippling.  Whether chemical imbalanced or mentally imbalanced, this condition is within a human's body.  Respect should be given at all levels.

Good luck... peace

R Lauvray
I have been having simular problems since I was 19. I am 34 now, but still the problems remain the same. I've always been plagued with sinus problems and was back and forth to the ENT to try to get something done. The ENT would often say my neck is swollen because of Post nasal drip. I keep telling them it isn't a itchy scratchy throat pain. It is high and to the left side of my throat, above my hyoid bone, and sometimes the same on the right. It swells up and then I get pain between my shoulders and chest pain on the left side. My hands and other other joints swell up.  I sometimes have ear problems and when the symptoms come, I just lay on the couch. I can not get comfortable, and it hurts to breath. I've had costalchondritis from having bronchitis before but it isn't the same. I generally feel pretty wiped out for a few days after an incident. I've often been disappointed going to the doctor.

I've been to the doctor several times. They sent me to get an EKG and I've had some indication of some irregularity, but they still discharged me. I returned home and a few months later, had simular problems once again and went to the heart clinic. Again there was some irregularity, but they sent me home again. I've gone back after an incident and had my doctor look me over, drew blood - nothing found, did and EKG - nothing found.  It seems the problems come, and go without a trace.

I've quit altogether going to the ENT. When you are 19 or in your 20's they just assume there can't be anything to bad wrong with you. I'll tell you, children and teens drop dead every day. The doctors just seem to disreguard you and over look you and move on to someone else who must obviously must have a real problem. (Yes, I'm angry.)

I've developed stomach problems and the GI doctor said I have IBS. I think IBS actually stands for "I Bull S**t." Because the doctors don't really know why people get IBS or how to get rid of it. So they give you some BS label for it.

As a rule I don't smoke, and I don't drink very often, maybe once a month 3 glasses of wine at one sitting, but never any more than that. Age 19  132 lbs 5'0"
Age 32  175 lbs 5'2"
My relaxing heart rate is about 60 but shoots up to the 80's and 90's when I have one of these spells. I hate using the word spell, such an old word. Reminds me of something my grandmother would say.

Lost in Mississippi
So my symptoms are: I feel a slight numbness on the left side of my face and body and light tingling on that side of my face, it's like some sort of nervous system disorder perhaps? I feel sharp pain on my left side near my spine..it feels like my lymph nodes on that side are swollen a little and I get a really sharp headache that seems to radiate from there and travel up to my forehead..there are times it seems like my breathing is labored out that nostril as well. And my brother is always noticing that left eye gets pinkish and...its a bit lazy. I notice that I have less control over the tissue and muscles and expressions on that side of my face and its does not seem to be symetrical with the right. As I write there is a shooting kinda pain in my left arm and my cheast feels a little tight on that same LEFt side.  I feel like its some sort of issue with a pinched or damaged nerve or vein that is not working right? That is what I'm leading towards. Also my jaw feels tight
I'm not a doctor have not study medicine and have no medical history with the exception of having cellulitis way back in 2003 - Oh yeah and last year I went to the hospital for what they called anxiety and I was feeling like I was gonna die or something I couldt really catch my breath - I am 27 female who does smoke about 10-15 ciggarettes a day and have for about 8-9 years and I drink on the weekends lately..my diet is generally nostly chicken and bread few veggies. But I am willing to make some changes I think it may be affecting my brain? I hope not but I notice changes with my moods but I;d rather focus on the physical symptoms for now and figure out how I can correct them and heal and feel healthy again. So it can feel as good as the right side.
So i guess I posted this in the wrong area before.. but here goes again
Tingling, left side issues
So my symptoms are: I feel a slight numbness on the left side of my face and body and light tingling on that side of my face, it's like some sort of nervous system disorder perhaps? I feel sharp pain on my left side near my spine..it feels like my lymph nodes on that side are swollen a little and I get a really sharp headache that seems to radiate from there and travel up to my forehead..there are times it seems like my breathing is labored out that nostril as well. And my brother is always noticing that left eye gets pinkish and...its a bit lazy. I notice that I have less control over the tissue and muscles and expressions on that side of my face and its does not seem to be symetrical with the right. As I write there is a shooting kinda pain in my left arm and my cheast feels a little tight on that same LEFt side.  I feel like its some sort of issue with a pinched or damaged nerve or vein that is not working right? That is what I'm leading towards. Also my jaw feels tight, I have a ear ache and slight numbness on the left side (mentioned before) but  I can make labored expressions, it just feels like that side is not geting circulation or something to make expressions easily and often I a smirk I have to undo on the corner of my mouth because it wont relax
I'm not a doctor have not study medicine and have no medical history with the exception of having cellulitis way back in 2003 - Oh yeah and last year I went to the hospital for what they called anxiety and I was feeling like I was gonna die or something I couldt really catch my breath - I am 27 female who does smoke about 10-15 ciggarettes a day and have for about 8-9 years and I drink on the weekends lately..my diet is generally nostly chicken and bread few veggies. But I am willing to make some changes I think it may be affecting my brain? I hope not but I notice changes with my moods but I;d rather focus on the physical symptoms for now and figure out how I can correct them and heal and feel healthy again. So it can feel as good as the right side
I just recently went to the dr about an ache in my back. With this there is shooting pains through my rib cage, headaches, my arms will go numb and it gets hard to breathe. He diagnosed me with mild case of scoliosis. But i have a feeling it is more than that.
I recently posted my sypmtoms under the name Zuwizzle that is similar to those in this community ...I was frantic to see what the heck was the matter. I eventually begin to examine my diet and came to the realization that all the symptoms, numbness on the left side of my face, sharp pains in my upper back near the blade, and earaches on the left side as well as headaches and tightness of the chest were all in relation to the fact that I had been drinking diet sodas. This may sound crazy but after research I have found that the sweetners in them are extremely harmful... like the Phenylalanine, and aspartame (also found in most minty chewing gums) Now that I have stopped drinking them I feel 98% percent better it IS SUCH A RELIEF!!! I was on the brink of seeing a doctor but many of the posts related to this category have led me to see that nobody is really trying to help themselves out ...I used the word finder search and put in the word "diet" and saw nobody was really mentioning what they ingest as possibilites. SO to those needing to feel normal again I'd say start by doing away with any alternative sweetners and also try taking Smooth Move laxative tea, that helped me eliminate alot of the remaining poisons as well as speeded up my healing, I took alot of water and two of the tea bags before bedtime, I think doctors dont ask what you eat or drink either which is troubling because lets face it ...we are what we eat
hi i was just wondering if anyone has found out why they are having these symptoms?

ive been having chest pains, left arm numbness, upper back pain and panic attacks for the past 5months and my doctor doesnt know why i could be having them

im only 17 and have no major stresses in my life
he put me on propanalol and iron tablets which did nothing

i am meeting with a cardiologist next week and hoped someone had had any luck?
my husband (age 27, nonsmoker, not obese) has had a dull aching chest pain and soreness/muscle pain in his left arm for the past three days. He mentioned today that he has muscle twitches in his calf, as well as some mild pain in his neck on left side.
We too went to the ER for the chest pain and ecg and blood work came back normal. I am learning alot from reading these posts, it seems like there is a connection to the alcahol (alcohol) usage, he drank beer two nights before the episode began. Perhaps it is a combination of alcahol (alcohol), dehydration, and anxiety? My husband also has a history of scoliosis, and after reading this thread, I will suggest a slipped disc as a potential diagnosis. Its a long shot without any back pain, but who knows?
I think as a general rule you all should try to relax, eat well, avoid alcahol (alcohol), drugs, and after ruling out any major heart/lung/brain condition...be thankful.  I plan to help my husband through this by changing our diet, and trying to live like we all know is best. If I get any more info I will post.
hi i m 25yr gal and from last 8 months i m suffering from chest pain..i have been to cardiology gyno gastero and even pshycharist..i m just fed up coz Drs are not able to find my root cause of this pain.....i did my angography andoscopy ecg and all stupid test and wasted lot of money...i also get panic attack where i feel that i m gonna die....nobody is helping me and Drs are so worst coz they think i have mental problem...**** i m just fedup and i m just doing doctor shopping and i have changed 22 to 25 Drs but none of them are helpful.....i just cant sleep peacefully...pls if anybody can help me???/
I am having the same symtoms (symptoms) numbness and pain in my arms especially in the left, pain in my left shoulder and in the middle upper part of my back and pain in my chest (which is a very strange almost tinglely feeling) I went to the hospital they thought it was indegestion gave me medicine didn't work gave my tylenol thinking it was muscle and that didn't work, then I had all kinds of blood tests done they said my enzymes were up and thought i had a slight heart attack but ruled that out after more tests.  They did an ultra sound of my heart, a CT scan (like you they thought I had a blood clot in my lungs) and several EKG's and still no luck they can't find out what is going on with me and I am getting a little scared, have you found anything else out since your last post.  Oh, I am 38 and 150 lbs and healthy I dont know what this could be....
I hear ya!  I have been dealing with this for over 6 months now with no diagnosis.  Most of the heart tests, countless bloodwork, ct's, and the list goes on.  

Good luck to you and let us know if you find out anything!
I had all of these symptoms.  Was rushed to the er on many occasions, had every test known done to me and it all ended up being my gall bladder.  i had all of the regular GB tests done and they all came back negative.  i went through this for 10 years before one dr finally decided to remove my GB even though all the tests were fine.  Once they got it out and tested it, they realized it was bad and that no tests would of found it.  Hope this helps! BTW I am only 30 and also was sure I was dying and no one cared.
you all have made me feel much better and not alone:) I been having chest pains and arm numbness as well as upper back pains and have been to the ER twice and all my test come out good. I do have high blood pressure and am diabetic but still my test came out great. I never thought it might have to do with anxiety and stress. I do stress way to much. thanks all I am glade to know I am not alone
I am 27 years old and have never had so much pain as I have had in the past 2 years. I have been between the ER and my regualr physican. My first visit to the hospital,they took and x-ray and blood work and they told me that I have had PLEURISY which is an inflammation in the lining of my right lung. Within literally 8 hours I started having some soreness on the rightside of my chest and towards my back, which ended up blistering. I went to my regular doctor and he said that I had come down with shingles (which is just something that stays in your spinal fluid from when I had the chicken pox). I was put on antibiotic to try to get rid of the shingles and or the inflammation. While speaking with the doctor regarding the pleurisy, he stated that it may go away within a few months and or may never go away, it will just come out on occassions. So it went away and within 5 months or so I ended up going to the hospital from work with extremely bad chest pain and this time it was on my right side and pain going into my left arm. By the time I was seen (we all know how long er rooms are) the pain was not as bad and the EKG that they did came back normal. I then went for an xray and that came back normal. The doctor stated that the only result that he can come up with is COSTOCHDRITIS which is an inflammtion of the cartiledge and rib cage. Here I was thinking I was having a heart attack. THe doctor prescribed me with Naproxen which helps temperarly with the pain. I followed up with my doctor who stated that a lot of stress, aniexty and lack of exercise are definitely triggers to the pains. He advised me to exercise more, eat healther, take 30 minutes or so and just relax, etc and yes I still have some of the pain but nothing like it used to be. Even the smallest sinus infection would make me have an outbreak with the pains! Good Luck to everyone that is going through the same problems!
I am glad to hear that I am NOT going crazy!  I have been suffering with similar problems now for almost 1 year.  Pain in left side of chest, always pain in my upper middle back - like I've been stabbed, numbness in my left arm and sometime fingers of both hands.  Sometimes I get the shakes when this happens.  Never any specific time for these "episodes" to take place.  Could be in morning, mid-day, but especially at night when I go to bed.  It makes my heart rate go up and I have noticed too that it is affecting my blood pressure as it reads high when I feel this way.  Oh, and let's not forget the lightheadedness I experience with all of this.  I have had several trips to the ER, full work-ups with EKG, blood-work, even checking for high blood pressure and diabetes as it runs in family and all came back negative.

It has ruined my life!!!  I have been given Tafil for the bad episodes, but hate to take it due to the addictive nature of the drug and try to restrict it's usage.

Can anyone share with me what they are doing to "cope" or treat this that is actually working?

Thanks,

bnc11201
Im 23 years old, smoke around 10-15 a day but admittedly drink more than your average person due to the nature of my work. (hotels)

For the past year I have had episodes of pain in my chest, under my left nipple, an overall cold feeling with shivers, a strange tingling sensation in my left arm (kind of restless feeling) pain under my left shoulder-blade shortness of breath, dizzyness and a fluxuating pulse rate... at the same time im having headaches and a panic attack! These episodes last up at and including an hour or so and as you can imagine and extremely frightening and unpleasant.

Everytime i visit the docs they say i have anxiety and then patronise me about my life circumstances. I know i have anxiety, I have anxiety due to these feelings and am anxious to know if im going to be okay in later life!  I'm getting sick and tired of it and frightened that it is something sinister. If anyone has any idea of what i can do please help me because this is now pretty much ruining my life.
I am so glad I am not going crazy!! I have all of the same symptoms as everyone else. Lightheaded, pain in my chest that runs down my left arm, numbness. I too have been to the ER on several occasions and have had all the tests run,ekgs, stress tests, all the blood work.  I thought I was dying. I am 37 years old and have had open-heart surgery(2 years ago). i had a valve replacement. But my heart is fine. I do not have high blood pressure, my heart rate is great, and i'm in relatively good health. The doctors have also said my symptoms are from anxiety and I was having panic attacks. This does NOT make what I am experiencing any easier. It is quite scary. But at least I know I am not alone.
I have been having a weird feeling in my lungs for the last month or two, not really coughing often or producing much.  Now I am having pain in my upper left chest when I breathe in or when I move my left arm.  I found some interesting info that may help some of you at the following web page:

http://www.madsci.com/manu/ches_gen.htm

It mentions "pulmonary embolisms" and "pleurisy" - you may want to read about those on webmd.com.  I may go to the doctor this afternoon to see what he thinks it is.  If he is able to figure it out, I will let you know.
i think one of the posters already answered your questions... it sounds like most of you have one of the forms of thoracic outlet syndrome...many doctors are not familiar with this syndrome
Im a 17 year old female and i've been having problems, Chest pains, weird feelings in my left arm and in my back a little. I went to the doctors but he said i was fine my heart was just going a little fast but he said it was nothing to worry about. My my thinks it anxiety. Im just worried incase i have a heart attack or something. Its been happening for 3 weeks now and its becoming a daily thing, im just really sick of it. Could it be anything to do with me smoking?
hello everyone,

so i am not alone here, i am a 26 year old woman also a smoker, I have been having chest pain for the past two months. I also have pain/numbness/weakness in my left arm and also in my fingers. I aso have pain sometimes in my back. I have been having this problem for almost 3 months so far. I also get short or breath and feel dizzy and loopy as i would say. lately ive been feeling alot of pressure in my head also. I have been to the doc twice so far, I've had blood work done twice, and all softs of things have been tested such as clotting, thyroid, gallblatter, enzimes, ect. I have also had 3 EKGs in the last 4 months, all clear. I have had a chest x ray and a MRI done, also simple tests like pulse rate, blood pressure ect. all clear. next week i have a appt with my heart doc to get another ekg and ultra sound done on my heart. I have a heart murmur and also a hole in my heart ive had since birth that has never givin me any trouble. so now i have no idea what to do, i get very freaked out when i feel pain, i also get anxiety from this. i am prone to anxiety and have been on medication for it before when i was younger. I havent had much anxiety in years but since this had been occuring i ahve had alot. I think i'm dying and no one has found anything wrong yet, or that something in my chest is just going to burst. i am going to make an appt with my psychiatrist and see what he says. I am hoping this is anxiety and i can maybe stop worring about it so much, but the reason i dont think it is, is because it persists even when i am relaxed or in a comfort zone. If anyone finds a real cause to this, please keep me up dated.
i'm a 23yr old female smoker and I also have some of the same sypmtoms you guys do.mine started with a sharp shock like pain in my right temple,it last for about 4 days then all of a sudden my head filled up with pressure like it was my sinuses and my jaws started to tighten up..the er dr. put me on prednisone which didnt help so i went to a nuerologist and he put me on a med. that help my headaches and stopped the shocking pain in my temple but the pressure was still there for alittle while longer but it eventually subsided.after that I started having panic attacks and i started to get chest pain and pains between my shoulder blades and the numbness and tingling in my whole left arm and then it started to ache from my shoulder down and its constant all the time,but sometimes i feel it in my right arm and sometimes my right foot will all of a sudden go numb and pins and needles feeling for no reason and my body aches all over from head to toe. sometimes ill get a sharp pain from my forarms down to my fingertips.sometimes I seriously think  i'm having a heartattack.I have been to the er about 6times they have done 2 ctscans which came back clear,2 EKGs which came back fine and blood work that came back normal.my family dr. seems to think that it is all anxiety so she put me on an anxiety med. which helps some of thw symptoms,but my nuerologist seems to think that since i have numbness and tingling constantly on my left side and sometimes in my right side and body aches all over deep down into my bones and muscles that it might be MS and the only way to tell that it is MS is by a MRI especially since MS is so hard to detect in young ppl.and it does make you worry and think ur going crazy especially if you have had all the major test ran and they have all came back clear...atleast for me i feel like i'm dying and that i'm gonna die before they figure out what is really wrong..
i have the EXACT same situation (as the original post), and I'm 22 and pretty healthy as well. it's very frustrating. i'm currently on an antidepressant but it is so random how it started.
I am 22 and am having the same kind of problems...It's nerve wrecking really! I have a tight chest most of the day, every day severe Fatigue, and pain in my left arm with a little bit of tingling at times! This has been going on now for a couple months, except the pain in the arm is recent for about the last week! Can someone please help me with some answers?
For the past couple of weeks I have had the chest pains, left arm numbness, chest pains and back pains...I feel like I am going nuts!!! I do have to say that my father passed away in January it was and still stressful. The Dr. put me on Xanax. 3 weeks ago I went to the E.R thinking I was having a heart attack, EKG and stress test came back normal. I do have a bit of an enlarged heart, but the heart attack symptoms was all do to the meds. I started to read up on.  it. First of all my Dr. Kept me on the meds for too long so as I was taking them I was withdrawning from them, so I  stopped taking them, and I felt fine for about a week that is when all of this started. I just want to feel normal again. I need to talk top my Dr. again and more then the 5 mins he gives me or else I am finding a new one. He started it so he should finish it!!! I am overweight and I am trying to quit smoking. I eat right and have lost 35lbs. I do not drink pop or coffee. I just needed to get this out there. Do you all burp more then normal? I find that I do that more now and it helps the pressure in my chest.        
hi, im 15 years old and lately ive been having chest pains with difficulties breathing. first i used to be a exercise freak but got grounded and couldnt exercise for 1 month then i started back and my boobs started hurtin. then later on that week when i was going home from school my chest started hurting and i couldnt breathe and my heart was racing. my mom refused to take me to the hospital cause she's mean, but its been a week going on 2 now and the chest pain is like everyday and breathing sometimes. ive got a doctors appointment next week for a cyst they found in my ovaries and ive been really stressed bout that. she thinks its a pulled muscle but if it was would it be this bad? what do yall think is wrong? and will i be fine? plus my back just started hurting to.
WOW... You sound like your experiencing the exact same symptoms I am. I am a 19 year old female, weighing 160 (mostly muscle) standing approxamately 5'7'', and about 3 months ago, I started having sharp pains in my left arm, the left side and middle of my chest. I have no insurance, so there were no doctors to help me. I went to the urgent care for my area and they did an EKG and a Chest X-ray, they were very thorough (NOT) and they said they couldn't find anything, and that it was "probably" either a pinched nerve, torn muscle tissue or some sort of inflammation. They gave me a prescription for vicodine and sent me on my way. It helped for a while (maily because I took more than recommended and was probably high) but about 3 weeks later, I revisted with the same symtoms (symptoms), only worse, and they still couldn't find anything. So now I owe about 1000 dollars in useless help and I still don't know whats wrong with me.
To this day I still suffer from the same pain off and on, and sometimes it travels into my shoulderblade, and usually either occurs suddenly or is a result of stress. Much like you, alcohol is also a big reliever of my pain and seems to be the only method for staying pain free. Eventually its going to detroy some other vital organ in my body, so I really don't want to continue to rely on such a hazadous methods, but it seems as though its the only thing thats worked. I also smoke, but for the most part, lead a pretty regular life. It's very nerve-racking to be so unsure about a pain so severe which in turn, causes me to stress which results in further pain.... It's a medical run around!!!! Any suggestions?
I believe what most of you suffer from is stress/anxiety, as I also do, and have the same problems. It is absolutely unbelievable what stress can do to the human body!
I have seen this before in my patients. Could also be GERD. Has anyone tried to give you Pantoloc or Nexium? If you do get this med make sure you are compliant.
I tend to also agree with shelleyc123. As I said, I suffer from anxiety/stress and also GERD, and have these symptoms. I take NEXIUM and it works wonders. But as last comment also said, you need to make sure you are compliant. I have stopped taking it before, and in time, the symptoms return.
Food like chips and popcorn wouldn't be good for this. Fatty foods are bad for me, cheese, cream, spicy foods, and the worst thing for me is anything with garlic in it.
OOPS SORRY,
THAT LAST COMMENT WAS ACTUALLY MEANT FOR SOMEONE ELSE...........
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A MODERATOR TO DELETE THIS COMMENT AND MY LAST ONE?
ONCE AGAIN, ESPECIALLY TO laurenissick AND shelleyc123, SORRY.
TO: Chellez it sounds like pectoralis minor syndrome see my last paragragh.  
TO: Others: Most of these posts sound  like TOS (Thoracic outlet syndrome or pectoral minor syndrome) here are some of the symptoms

Common Symptoms of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome include but are not limited to:
Head, Neck, Chest and Shoulder

* Neck pain
    * Shoulder pain (can mimic rotator cuff injury pain)
    * Inter-para scapular pain
    * Anginal Chest pain
    * Unexplained headaches
    * Funny or odd feelings in face and/or ear (some patients have reported a tight pulling and tingling feeling)
    * Dizziness, lightheadedness
    * Vertigo, syncope
    * Diplopia, Dysarthria, Dysphonia, Dysphagia
    * Tinnitus, ear pain
    * Color, swelling and temperature changes to the upper neck and/or chest

Upper Extremity

*Numbness and tingling of the arm and hand
    *
      Positional weakness of the arm and hand
    * Swelling of the arm and/or hand
    *Heaviness of the upper extremity
    *Ulnar distribution paresthesias
    *Weakness or clumsiness of the hand
    *Cool or cold extremity and/or hand
    *Tiredness, heaviness and paresthesias with arm elevated
    *Color changes of the hand and/or arm (cyanotic, pale, mottled)
    *Venous Distention of Upper Extremity

This is the website..http://www.atosa.org/main

also visit http://www.ecentral.com/members/rsanders/

From Dr. Sanders website:
The most frequent complaints are numbness and tingling in the fingers; pain in the neck, shoulder, and arm; headaches in the back of the head; weakness of the arm and dropping things from the hand; worsening of the symptoms when elevating the arm to do such things as comb or blow dry one's hair or drive a car; and coldness and color changes in the hand. The symptoms are often worse at night or when using the arm for work or other activities.

In 2005 we became aware of a large number of patients who, in addition to these symptoms, also had pain in the anterior chest wall, just below the collar bone along with pain over the shoulder blade and in the arm pit. Until recently it was thought that these symptoms were due to TOS, but now it has been learned that they are due to a condition frequently accompanying TOS, namely pectoralis minor syndrome.
i had simular symptoms for about 1 1/2 yrs. i would go to the hosp. and checked out turned away like i was faking it half the time. i started puking green stomach bile with sever back pain in the middle of my shoulder blades. finally i over heard a nurse speaking to n off duty nurse about gull bladder surgery it sounded just like what was going on with me. the drs. kept sending me home saying i was constipated, anxiety. you name it. finally i had one of the drs. check and it was my gull bladder.
i am a 22 yr old female smoke maybe 3 ciggarettes a day give or take, drink everyday, mainly vodka, in a the past few months i hae noticed a numbness in my left arm below the elbow, a few rare times it had shot up by my shoulder and its a sharp pain, sometimes i notice out of no where my heart seems to have a few really fast beats in a row, othertimes it feels like my heart misses a beat or beats one time really hard then forgets the next beat, random times i notice the chest pains, like my heart just hurts really bad.... i too found this article ona google search for my symptomes, i do think a lot of fit has to do with the drinking and smoking, also i am about 100 pounds not too much over 5 ft tall, have been trying to gain weight for maybe 2 or 4 years so i probably dont eat as healthy as i should either
Wow- just wow.
Left arm pain from cervical fusion (RSD); rib and thoracic pain contantly; past 6-9 months i'v had sharp muscular pain in left breast, under breast and in left axilla, as well as BAD trep/rhomboid pain.
Started Xanax (small dose)- thought I was going to die of hearlt failure or TOC.
Whom should I consult, a cardiologist (brilliant mechancis) or a tru scientist who si also a clinincian?
Scared to death- wish to GOD none of you had this, but DO please keep in mind that there are docs on their toes!
Good luck and be well xoxox !
Niko
I'm having chest pains on the left side, left side of my back hurts and my left arm is kinda numb. When I take in a deep breath it hurts and well as when I turn to the left. I'm trying to figure out if it's my heart because of the stress I've been under lately or maybe a muscle strain. I'm nervous about going to the doctor though maybe I should. My mom died of congestive heart failure at age 55. I'm 45 now. I'm a bit over weight yet I don't exceed 200 lbs and I'm 5'3". Any suggestions on what I should do or what you think could be going on with me?
hi im 18 i have a feeling in my chest like when ur leg/foot falls asleep some times numbness pain
I am a 35/m and have been dealing with All the same symptoms as you all, for the past 2 years. I woke up one morning With a severe shapr pain above my Left breast plate, The pain went into my left arm and into my back. I have had every Heart test avail, EKG, Echo-Doppler, Stress test, Cardio cath, Ct angiogram, etc etc. all my tests have came back Normal as well.

my pains go from my chest into my L. arm, from my left shoulder blade to my spine, and a severe pain in the back of my head, that is about the size of my palm.  I have been on zoloft, xanex, nitro, percocet, vike's, aspirin, and various other meds. and have currently been removed from them all by my cardio doc, and he has only kept me on propranolol.

According to my cardio my heart is healthier than his, I have been seen by the EMT's numerous times, and they treat me as if i  am just looking for attn. I have been to my local ER, as well as two other Trauma centers (AS my ER *****) and have all been told, its a panic attack. All my pain comes in the evening, or right when i wake up. If i wake up with the pain. i know its gonna be a all day pain. and will not go away unless i fall asleep. my local er usually keeps me under observation and releases me 8hrs later with a simple diagnosis of "Undiagnosed Chest Wall Pain"  Yet, every day it feels as if i am havin a Heart Attack.

Even as i sit here writing this, i have a severe stabbing from the sternum to my Left Nipple, about 1" above and below the site. L. Arm pain and neck pain... But i know they will tell me its nothing, or a panic attack.

As i said, this has been goin on with me daily since June 23, 2008 and deal with this daily
HI everyone I am suffering the same thing as most of all of you.It is awful evryone else that isn't going throu this pain and panic anixety attacks from the pain thinking that a heart attack is to follow I feel the pain I know.I havew been suffering from chest pain back pain behind breast area,arm numbness the works.I have had EKG'S blood work stress test ct scan to check for blood clots in the lungs.X-RAYS Ohh and not to mention a upper GI to vheck my stomach and so on.Well all test came back neg.which is good.NOT I STILL HAVE THE PAIN.I can't take it.My life has been damaged from this I won't go out I won't do activites I'm afraid I am going to die..The heart doctor that I have seen a couple of times tells me I have COSTOCHONDRITIS AND THAT IT CAN LAST UP TO A YEAR.I just don't feel like myself I have been to the ER so many times and frankly I feel embarrsed to go.They think I'm crazy I think.But I'm in pain..NO meds work I have tried it all..I think I may need to talk to a pyschologist I'm begining to think I'm crazy..Anyone with any advice my ears are open..I am always complaining of pain....  :(
I'm 21 male also suffering with MVP and had the chest pains since 2004 and now had pulled a tendon under my arm had made my left arm short term paralyzed for like a few hours since my this year has been locking up even more ever since and now each time my arm goes numb my chest goes numb causing my heart to react then all goes down hill from there and like some said on there notes A drink a few beers I'm okay, after that all seem to be overbearing now since the doctors can't really seem to find a problem i dont know what else to do then just wait things out. The only thing that ***** is work. how will this effect that.
Hi there...I am experiencing the very same symptoms as you (and most others) here. I have had a pain above my heart for around 6 months now, it usually comes along with pain in both arms, (more so in the left) and also in the back of my legs in between knee and ankle. I almost always get it in my back too, between shoulder blades, left hand side. I, like so many other people here thought that it was heart problems....BUT... 9 trips to A&E, several to my doctors, all came back fine on the ECG, no high blood pressure etc. The docs now think that it  is Acid Reflux (?) (how that causes arm and leg pain, Im not sure)... I'm in for a scan in one week. Unbelievably, drinking alcohol helps, presumably for relaxing purposes. I'm NOT an alcoholic though(!). I take emeprozole (?) 40mg for acid reflux and Tamazepam to help me sleep. Interestingly though, PLEASE check out HEALTH ANXIETY symptoms on google.... it is an eye opener.  BTW, I suffered from severe neuritis of the brachial plexus 7 years ago causing muscle wastage in left arm, (never really healed) and had chicken pox 2 years ago. May not be connected, but, you never know. The mind is a powerful muscle... it sometimes does play tricks on us. Peace.
Sometimes I wake up from a good sleep at night because I have a hard time breathing and my chest and upper back hurts all the way around it feels like its under by breast and my upper back its a real sharp pain and it gets really warm and stiff. I have no idea waht is wrong with me...any suggestions.
I too have all the same symptoms for almost 2 years now. I'm 33 year old woman with 3 kids. The numbness in the arm and leg, chest and back pain everything.  I've been to ER at least 15 times. What my dactor keeps telling me is: Anxiety, acid reflux, and Fibromialga(that is missplled). I am on Ativan which does help a little with the pain, but still feel like crap. I just found out that i have fatty infiltration in my liver(I don't drink, but my doctor doesn't believe me) and I have a small spot on my left lung(doctor says don't worry about it). How can I not!!!  But my question is if it is anxiety, acid reflux, and fibromialga and i take the meds they give me why do I feel like this ALL day long with No real relief. My symptoms don't ever go away and it is hard to do anything because of it.  But for some of you maybe you should ask your doctor about the fibromialga it could explain some of the symptoms.

stressed out
One thing that has not been mentioned here, which I am going through being diagnosed for is THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME.  

Chest pain, neck pain, arm pain, all are symptoms.  I've been suffering over a year and finally may be getting to the problem.  Don't let anyone tell you it's all anxiety.  That's crap.  Mine is worse because the pain gives me anxiety sometimes but anxiety isn't causing the pain.

Go to a different doc if you have to.  A vascular surgeon and neurosurgeon who are familiar with TOS,.  Also check out ATOSA.org as they have a list of symptoms.  I just learned dysphasia which is difficulty swallowing is a symptom and I had to have my food tube stretched in January for it.
I had all of the same symptoms... I firmly believe it to be some kind of infection that cannot be found in blood tests!  I went to the er many different times and to the doctor without help.

COCONUT OIL!!!!  I found this on my own and after about 4 months feel like I am almost free from the nasty weighty pain that was in my chest and arms!

Ingest the oil and rub it all over where it hurts and it should flare up initially then feel alot better!

If this works for you please write me at ***@**** as I would like to talk to you about it.  And good luck to all!
I was looking for ppl with similiar issues. I have been dealing with this since I was 12..Im  now 39 with symptoms all getting worse as time goes on. I use to run to emergency room alot, and I too started feeling embarrassed to go anymore..I was diagnosed with MVP when I was about 24..which kinda helped my mind set feeling at least I had an answer. Naturally my blood pressure is so low I had to stop taking meds though..I read alot on MVP and although alot of my symptoms can be explained w/it It seems not enough..Since it continues to get worse as years go on every episode seems different than the last and I feel like "this is it Im really having a heart attack this time" but its gotten to the point I cant even mention it to my husband because he acts like Im just a hypercondriact. For at least the last 13 years I cant even hold my arms up above head for more than 1 min without the chest and arm pains starting.I cant lay on my left side without it starting.etc. I get totally flushed with the pains real clammy/sweaty and start feeling like Im going to pass out. (I should mention I pass out alot when I am in severe pain) I take baby asprin when the pain starts and when I start feeling real bad also use oxygen..also try to drink tomato juice when I have it on hand since I heard this helps and lots of water . I have been awoke from my sleep with severe chest pains (alot more lately in the last 2 weeks), I even had an episode on a plane traveling over seas once that they landed the plane to get me help..again very embarrassing when tests didnt show anything.(course they were looking for a blood clot) My heart palpatations have recently gotten to the point of happening several times per hr. Needless to say I havent had any tests for the past 4 yrs..so now wondering if they would actually see prob now since worse.But now I have no insurance and my husband thinks its in my head so I guess I have to just play it out at this point. (My grandfather and uncle both died of heart attacks, my dad and grandmother both got to hospital in time, but dad now has a pace maker) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Most of these symptoms are very similiar to Lyme Disease. There is a very simple treatment that you can start to help and answer many of your questions on what you have,
Hi. I am a 44 y/o male. Ten lbs over weight, never smoked. I like a few beers when I come home from work. But not excessive. I have minor case of Mitral Valve prolapse, and also have Pre Atrial complexes, which are basically non existent now that I am taking cardizem. ANYWAY, like most everyone here, I have been getting left chest pains, left arm and neck pain, left eye, ear, and head pains. Getting them for about two years now. I never get them at the same time. The chest pain usually comes for a few weeks, then disappears. It usually comes at rest. I run 5 times a week and never get pain during. When I do get the pain, I get no shortness of breath.
I have had two stress echo's, 4 ekg's, cardiac MRI, etc. All with negative findings. Like alot of you out there, I still worry when I get the pains, despite the fact that my cardio says it is not heart related. I have a 7 year old, and dont want to traumatize him with a funeral. The pains always come when i am NOT under stress. I am praying that it is something like thoracic outlet Syndrome. Anyway, i am sorry to see that i share the same symptoms with so many.   jimmy
PS, I was worried that it could be prinzmetals angina but my cardio says no way. Either way I am paying out of pocket for angiocather test, just for a little more piece of mind. The only anxiety I have is that which is caused when the pains come on. jimmy
My 14 yr old son had been having chest pain and i just told him it was growing pains.  After 1 1/2 yrs the pain got worse and he also gets dizzy and has breathing problems, and the left side of his chest goes numb.  He is a very active boy he is 6' 2'' and about 150ish, he plays soccer, basketball, football, and runs track at school.  i finally took him to the dr because that is not normal and found out he has a rare genetic heart defect called WPW or Wolff Parkinson White syndrome that is persent at birth and most people have no symptoms. if anyone is familiar with this any imfo would be great thanks!!
from a worrying mom
After reading from all of you guys, i just feel like weeping for my situation because i have facing these symptons listed by you guys for almost 15yeras today and as i write to you today it is becoming as worst as never before, After going through all possible tests my hand can afford here in Cameroon-Africa, i am now believing God for miraculous healing and deliverance because I am practically fed up, cast down and dont know were to go. Some one out there should please come for my help,who ever you are;a clergy or a doctor, leonard from cameroon
Hello out there.

Firstly I just want to say that you are all very sensitive people both emotionally and physically.

I as a fellow sufferer for years did not realise this until after the conventional route which confirmed nothing clinical, turned to alternative therapy and hey presto! No more pain I had 3 sessions on acupuncture and the pain has gone.

However we must maintain our positive thinking, otherwise  the 'physical symptoms will reappear. Especially if you (as I did for some years) suffer from panic attacks.

I have since started a 'Talk Therapy' class where people not only share their symptoms, but they actually are healing at the same time by realising that many people share the same problems. It really works so get involved and help yourself

Good Health All

Linda Jones Talk Therapy
Do u know that steroids can make u feel this way? check the meds ur taking to see if it contains any sort of steroids, I like u had this problem I went through the same symptoms got x ray, Ct done, checked my heart with a cardiologist, everything checks ok, sometimes u could be allergic to the meds ur taking, specially the new meds that just came out in the market.
I am a 28 yr. old male and am having the same symptoms. It's amazing that many young people out here are having these symptoms of stress and panics going on in life. My muscles feel weak and my hand is feeling numb. I thought it was due to stress, etc. which fits the bill with my life write now. I have been stressed out, but am amazed at how the body reacts to it. Thanks for the information on here*
I BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AND DON'T NOBODY KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH ME. I'VE BEEN HAVING BAD CHEST PAIN SHOULDER PAIN, BACK PAIN,L HEADACHE, NUMBNESS IN LEFT ARM AND HAND, LEGS BE FEELING HEAVY AT TIMES I GET DIZZY AND A COUPLE DAYS AGO I FELL OUT AND HIT MY HEAD A LITTLE AND THE ONLY WAY I WAS ABLE TO GET UP WAS BECAUSE OF THE COLD WATER THAT WAS ON THE GROUND THAT HIT MY FACE. I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT SOME TIMES MY MOUTH BE DRY ALL THE TIME AND I'M A 29 YEAR OLD FEMALE WITH A 1 YEAR OLD AND I REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON WITH ME BUT CANT NO HOSPITAL TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH ME.
I have suffered pain in my back, chest shoulders, ribs and arm but there was nothing wrong with any of they bits.Also I was feeling groggy and dizzy and at one point couldnt sit up and lying down was sore too. It turned out to be my lungs and my gall bladder that was causing problems. The reason for that is a thing called referred pain. Your brain knows you're in pain but is not sure where it's coming from and that's why you can experience pain in different parts of your body even though there's nothing wrong with it. I'd suggest going back to the dr's for further checks just in case. I ignored this at first and eventually it nearly killed me. I was 28 years old, 9 1/2 stone, don't smoke and healthy when I got it. Hope that heps a bit.
wow. Feel for all of you. Im a 26 yr old mom of 2 kids 7 and 5. Ive dealt with a great amount of stress for the past 6 years with my mom and dad, but mostly mom. All she does when she is around me is yell & call me names. Sometimes i can ignore it, but other times i yell back.We then get into a yelling match. Not often but sometimes after i leave her presence i begin to get this awful sharp pain in my chest around my heart. the pain travels into my right shoulder and down my right arm. i also feel the pain in my right shoulder blade. i get this burning/warm feeling going up my throat/neck. Cannot breathe normally bc of the pain. I dont suffer from anxiety. doesnt help that im a smoker. but i am not sure if i should even go to the ER or not. No Family DR bc of the kind of insurance i have. i dont wnat the dr and nurses at the er to think im nuts bc im only 26 and have chest pains? any advice or anyone feeling same thing???
I also felt the same symptoms for more than 3 years now - numbness in my right hand, excruciating pain in my armpit and chest that lasted for almost an hour, and pain in my right leg.  Followed by shortness of breath and sometime I also lost consciousness.  I experienced the attack three to four times a month and oftenly in the afternoon or at night.
I'm too nervous and afraid about it.

My doctor said that it has something to do with muscles and nerves but can't also gave me an accurate diagnosis. I went through tests like ECG and Xray and results are clear.

The pain as year goes by is becoming more intense and sometimes during attack, I'm so helpless and just wanted to cry.

I am having pains at different times, last week I couldn't move because my shoulder was so painful I now and again get these shooting pains in my chest and sometimes its like crap where I can't move in certain places, a couple of nights ago I was in hospital because I had been spiked I discharged myself when I came round, and now today my throat is soar I have bruising around my throat, head ache, dizziness, my chest hurts and numbness in the upper part of my left arm. Not sure if this is the same thing, was just hoping someone knows what it is.
i gave birth to my son in 1997, couple months later got shingles. becuz im a caregiver i was always bussy & never noticed the pain. in 2008 i was picking my son up from camp, numness in left are felt like i was passing out...
every 6 months i would have attack, went to the er cuz the chest pain, numbness in left arm... but everything has checked out fine done every test on my heart all good.
now that my father in law passed away in 2010 i have panic attacks everyday, now its ptsd. doc put me on zolof and xanax but the pain is worse shotting pain from chest to armpit, warm feeling in chest, tightness in shoulder blade, numbness from arm pit to finger tips... im tired of this pain and want it to go away..
i also have problem i have really bad chest pains my left has pains down to finger shortness of breath dizziness when to the hospital 4 times the told me i was wasting my time. it started off with them saying it was panic attacks went back again the told me it was gas. this has been going on fir about 3 months now the pressure in my chest has not when away since it started. i get so tired all i want to do is sleep anymore afraid to go to far away form the house in case it has its worse moments. is ***** no doctor knows what it is and so many people have it going on with them. and know one you tell actually knows how you feel. could it be low blood pressure.
i also have problem i have really bad chest pains my left has pains down to finger shortness of breath dizziness when to the hospital 4 times the told me i was wasting my time. it started off with them saying it was panic attacks went back again the told me it was gas. this has been going on fir about 3 months now the pressure in my chest has not when away since it started. i get so tired all i want to do is sleep anymore afraid to go to far away form the house in case it has its worse moments. is ***** no doctor knows what it is and so many people have it going on with them. and know one you tell actually knows how you fell.
I have just had a whole lot of heart investigations only to find out that I had a rib out of place and pushing on the intercostal muscles and therefore the blood vessels entering the heart.
My Chiropractor got everything back into place. It was quite sore for a while afterwards but slowly I have felt better and better and pain has subsided.

So my advice?  Check out everything with your Chiropractor or Physiotherapist.  GP's do not know much about back and shoulder pain and should refer you to a Physio.
im 26yrs old with a 2mo old. during my pregnancy i kept having elevated heart rate (140's) but my blood pressure was fine. i was admitted when i was 6mo pregnant and had ekg's done, xrays and ct scan, everyghing came out negative. so i went home but continued to feel my heart race on and off until i delivered. the night after i delivered my chest was hurting and my heart rate was in the 140's again they did an ekg and said it looked like i had a heart attack but it wasnt clear exactly when. i followed up with dr's and was told the pains were not from my heart but i had plurasy. i keep having these left sidw chest pains on and off but they feel like they are getting worse going down my arm under my arm and causing like a heavy feeling. Please help i need another opinion!! I'm pretty healthy dont smoke drink or do drugs.Whats wrong with me???
I am a 22 year old mom of a five year old and have been having most of these symptoms since my daughter was born. I am currently taking an anti-depressant/ anti-anxiety called trazadone that has helped me a lot. I thought I was alone with the physical symptoms, as every doctor told me that they couldn't possibly be connected... I am so relieved that there are other people out here like me. My husband thinks I am a hypochondriac and I literally thought I was going insane. I find the trazadone gives me an element of control over the mental symptoms, as I am able to recognize the lesser panic attacks as they occur and somewhat control them... the physical symptoms are compounded with injuries from a car accident in 2009, and those injuries seem to intensify severely when I feel a panic attack occurring. It's gotten so bad, I have taken to smoking a certain natural plant to aleviate the stress and numb the pain, but cannot do it all the time as I have a child, so relief only comes after nine pm.... My pain is generally on the left side of my neck, near my head, the headaches get so bad, pain seems to shoot across the top of my head, my left shoulder and arm ache daily, going numb at least once a day and now my legs have taken to going numb sometimes. I get really dizzy and lightheaded at strange times and my lower back hurts all the time, but it's the chest pains, both left and right side that really scare me... has anyone recently gotten a real diagnosis from a doctor that explain any of this? If so, I would love to know.
Please do not let the doctors fob you off with its just anxiety.  Get a full diagnosis. Chest pains can be serious and can be due to Thoracic Outlet syndrome ,inflammation of the sternum,  troubles with your ribs, intercostal muscle tears, and pleurisy and of course heart conditions.  Nowadays the Chiropractors and the Physiotherapists can give a lot of help.

Don't give up! Find out for sure what the problem is.

Just another thought - Many of you have had babies and the back becomes weaker from pregnancy and birth naturally. Also  a lot of you have the symptoms after having been sleeping.  I have an idea that lying on your stomach and sleeping plus turning over incorrectly has pulled the spine and connecting muscles, ribs, nerves, tendons and ligaments resulting in your pain.  Go to a physiotherapist and see if they can help you stand better, sit better and sleep in a good position.
Some of you, have only felt it coming on after some strong movement but it was probably waiting to happen from your bad posture or sleeping position.
Also see a chiropractor as they can help by re-aligning all that has been pulled to one
side.  Best wishes everyone.
So just over a year now i've had similar issues.  It first started with chest pain and would scare me half to death in the middle of the night.  The pain feels some what like a burning pain but i can pinpoint it on my chest in the same spot everytime.  When i push on my chest it hurts, about two inches or so down from my collar bone and to the center left part of my chest.  I also get very bad back pain to the right of my left shoulder blade, i'll have my wife rub it and lots of times that helps.  I also get a lot of aching in my arm.  My back also hurts when i take a deep breath.

I've been to the doctor a few times, i've had ekg, stress tests, and blood work.  Nothing found.  Nobody tells me anything.  I sit here for a year in serious pain and i get no answers.  I'm 26 M 220 5"11.  
Sounds like inflammation of the sturnum called costo chrondritis.  Take an anti inflammatory
before bed time with something to eat because anti -inflammatory meds are tough on your stomach unless you are careful to eat.
See a chiropractor who will help you further.
I am a RN, and have been experiencing a variety of symptom over the last 5 months since taken to ER from our hospice office secondary to being unable to walk on my own, numbness in all extremities, dizziness, and other.  Told was anxiety and PCP/counselor said was post traumatic stress syndrome but now having chest pain, shoot pain down both arm and leg seeming to follow vascular system, pain between shoulder blades,  and jaw pain (which is a symptom seen in women).  I like you, have not been to MD secondary to being fired 2 days after in ER, and follow up they just want to say anxiety.  You said that you were having swelling in your ankle,, is it both or just the one.  Swelling in extremities can be a sign of right side heart failure (different than congestive, but if untreated can lead to left sided HF.  Have they ever done an echo on your heart.  If you do go to doctor, request it.  It is a test and will cost some but it has a good chance to give you some answers which is better than MD guesses and putting you off.  I can't afford to go and be put off so monitoring mine on my own, but it has been bad enough today that MD visit may happen tomorrow, at least to check troponin level.  This is a blood test to detect active heart damage and how they can gauge if your having one and what stage it is in.  If elevated they well draw every 6 hours to watch levels and can pin point time of greatest damage, also a 12 lead EKG if read right by MD should show if you have had attacks previous that have caused damage.  Like you ready to know what is going on, havent been able to work since feb 2.
as if I wrote this email myself....same issues.  same experiences for about 6 months and getting worse.  Has now lead to panic attacks b/c I am convinced that it is my heart.  currently diagnosed with anxiety (xanax) and GERD (prilosec and Xantac).  Doc says give it 4 weeks to work.  scares the crap out of me when I have my "episodes".  Have had all the tests...all negative.  gonna check out Costochondritis now and see if Prednisone works.  Neck really hurts but ultrasound shows no blockage of the artery.
I hear this all the time from GPs everything not understood is either depression or anxiety and we all believe them,  Well it often and mainly is NOT the cause.   Do yourselves a favour and when you have back, neck, shoulder, spine or rib problems, see your Physiotherapist FIRST. A lot of heart ache is stopped that way, what about money, emotion and time.
I really don't think this is a mental problem. i've had this on and off for 5 years now. i am not prone to anxiety or anxiety attacks. I have normal worries and stresses in life, but nothing extreme and am insanely happy with my life, family and etc... I truly feel I got beyond lucky in my adult life finding my husband and etc... I am certain this cannot be related to depression or mental stress in my case but instead what i've noticed points towards physical causes.

Common symptoms most of us have seem to be some sort of acid reflux/ulcer/gerd/heartburn, chest pain, shoulder blade pain, arm pain &/or numbness, hand or pinky/ring finger numbness, neck pain.

The prednisone idea is an interesting one. Thinking back I seem to not have this problem when I'm on prednisone for asthma.

For me the pain is very acute and unbearable at times. chest pain when I lay down. acute pain in a specific spot of the shoulder blade. pain and or numbness down my arm. pinky numb. sometimes whole hand tingling. usually pain up my neck as well. It always feels as though if I could just get my back/neck to pop a certain way it would feel so much better... but of course i can't. my chiropractor normally can get the spot where it hurts to pop. the spot where it hurts he says is a rib that doesn't want to stay in place on me. do any of the rest of you have ribs that won't stay in place?

my heart is fine on ekgs done years ago, haven't bothered with any since.

I've noticed it gets worse if I wear my kids for two long in certain carriers. Right now it's unbearable the last couple nights- but we were just at silver dollar city with my 11 month old in a carrier most the time.

I've also noticed it's worse/more common when I am heavier compared to when I am within a healthy weight range. anyone else noticed that as well?

And last is I noticed that my reflux/heartburn is several times worse during these episodes.
Please stop carrying heavy things and use a stroller instead.   You need to strengthen your back, sides and stomach muscles so you can keep your body together.   Try Pilates and a Physiotherapist who will give you the exercises needed to make you strong and firm.
All the best.
Thanks for your suggestion but I do yoga and strength training daily as well as several exercises suggested by my chiropractor. I had this before I carried kids, so I really think that while doing so occasionally triggers this problem (mind you the last time I had this flare up this badly was when my now 11 month old was just a 3 month old fetus still in my uterus, I've only had two flares since he was born, neither that lasted longer then a day and trip to the chiropractor) I really don't think it's closely related beyond being a sometimes trigger. So I'll continue to prioritize and carry my children in situations that call for it.

I would love to have an answer for what it is, but I'm fairly happy with my care. I've had asthma all my life and the way this comes and goes feels very much like 'flares' to me. The pain is def extreme, but then I've learned to let things roll by and just deal with these type of flares from the periods of not being able to breath that are much more frustrating and scary. I'll take acute pain where I still can move if I need to and take care of myself and family over not being able to catch my breath to speak while sitting down or make my body work from oxygen deprivation any day.

I'm not stressed about it I just thought I would add my experience and two cents to try and connect the dots.
I also have been told that my ribs move out of place by the Chiropractor and I don't doubt it. The Physio however gave me needles in what she says are 'trigger spots' Certainly helped a lot.  and also did some ultra sound to the front where I get the Gerd etc. Definitely helped. She has given me certain exercises to do to strengthen my rounding shoulder muscle on the left back and another for the lower stomach obliques which carry the leg weight.  In other words tailor made exercises for my particular weak and trigger spots. So what am I saying after giving you my particular treatment?  That if it does, in the future cause you to be stressed about it,  a visit to a good physiotherapist may help. All the best and take care!
I have pain in my chest on the left side sometimes on the right side but my whole left arm goes numb its been getting alot worse im only 19 yrs old the doctors keep saying its Acid Reflux but im not having anything come up no burnin throwing up just the pain in my chest and my arm going numb i keep having panic attacks thinking im having a heart attack! I really would like to know that im not alone i get so scared im going to die and the numbness its getting worse and worse each day :(
I have had anxiety for a long time now! Iam sick of feeling like Iam gonna die! It is coming out of nowhere shaking, shortness of breath, chest pain, numbness and tingling thru my whole body worst of all the rapid heart beat. I had an attack so bad at work that i checked my blood pressure to see and my bp was rising every time I ended up flipping out leaving work to go to the ER and all the md did was come in and listen to my heartbeat on my back and left never really asked me any thing i was there two hours and got a ativan no test nothing! This stuff is so scarey I had another one the day after thay seem to come at night once in a while the day. Any suggestions????
The answer is simple, drink at least 8 glasses of water day. That flushes out all of the impurities.
I'm an 18 year old female.  Over the past year I took ecstasy around 12 times, smoked weed and drank occasionally.  A few weeks ago, I got some bad pills and the next day my heart raced and I had chest pain and I thought I OD'd and was having a heart attack.  I was freaking myself out way too much and was having a panic attack.  The next day I was fine, but about a week later, I started feeling like I couldn't take a deep breath.  I had a panic attack that night, and started shaking and feeling like I was gonna die.  I finally calmed myself down, and the shortness of breath went away.  A few days after that, I was on a walk with my friends, and the feeling of not being able to breath came back.  That night, I panicked again.  This time, the shortness of breath stayed for a few days.  I started feeling pressure and some mild pain in my chest as well.  I went to the ER because I had a high blood pressure and heart rate.  The doctor said it was just anxiety and possibly acid reflux.  He prescribed me Ativan, which definitely got my mind off it.  But, I went to my doctor on the following Monday, just to check, and he prescribed some milder anxiety medication along with some acid reflux medication.  It's been 6 days since I started taking the medication.  The breathing thing has started to subside, but i have new symptoms.  I get sharp pains in my chest (mostly left side) and upper back.  My left arm feels sort of achey (achy) and like it's kind of asleep.  My hands tingle sometimes, and I have been getting severe migraines and feel nauseous most of the time. My vision is also a little bit funky, I can still see fine for the most part, but it's a little weird. Sometimes I start to feel a little dizzy, and my heart rate seems to race. I have been having more frequent panic attacks because I worry that something is seriously wrong with me.  I don't know if it's just anxiety, or if it's from the ecstasy, or if it's a virus, or what.  Everyone keeps telling me it's just in my head.  It is a relief to know that I'm not alone and I'm not totally crazy!  
Thank you for posting your information.  I am a 49 year old non smoker, and I have every test imaginable. I started with a pulling pain in my chest a year ago, my doctor sent me to a heart specialist who did several test and found my heart is find.  About 7 weeks ago, I started having the same pulling pain in my chest, as well as pressure pain in my back. My mom thought indigestion, so I started ant-acids, but nothing happened, it became so bad that my left arm became numb and painful, then my entire left side from the waist up.  Severe pain would not let me move, bend or raise my arm.  It hurts to breath, cough, sneeze, but most of all it hurts to try and sleep on my right side even though its my left side.  I can only sleep on my back.  I have been to three doctors not including the emergency room 3 times.  Morphine doesn't even help and I am allergic to pain meds, anti-inflammatory pills don't even help.  Will look up the diagnosis you gave, maybe this will give me some answers.
I to have chest pain on left side left arm hurts.No one know what the problem is.One doctor said everyone will have pain.
I am having many of the same symptoms as many posters before me, and like some, I have not had any burning sensations in stomach/esophagus, only the tingling and the pain in the chest (when burping). It has been really hard to cope with the mystery and unexplained symptoms of what is really going on; first I thought (like others) that I have a heart condition, after tests and echo, it is fine; now I'm starting to think I have cancer, although there are no other symptoms supporting this, it is possible that a tumor is growing somewhere inside of me and is pushing on a nerve or something... It consumes a lot of my thoughts... My doctor says it's anxiety-related (if that was not a problem before, it is a real big one now) or from GERD which they diagnosed based on my symptom of having pain in the upper left area of my chest when burping, but that started long after the initial symptoms of numbness and tingling in left arm. Also, I did not have any burning in my stomach, esophagus, throat or anywhere else until I started taking PPi for GERD. It is unbelievable how many people have the same symptoms as I do and how no one can give us an explanation other than ACID REFLUX. I am checking out THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME as I'm writing, I was going back to posts and I must say, sounds like my problems.. I am a painter and TOS is common with trades... I reccomend reading into it. Thanks.
Please EVERYONE  go back to the post' dbayro' and look up:

PECTORALIS MINOR SYNDROME
COSTO CHRONDRITIS
THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME
SCOLIOSIS OF THE SPINE
HIP AND KNEE DISPLACEMENTS ETC

DOCTORS DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE:  PHYSIOTHERAPISTS DO.

You may be helped at a Doctor if it is PLEURISY/RHEUMATOID ATHRITIS/ LYME DESEASE/ AND HEART DESEASE etc

I too have been having ongoing pain for a year just to the left of my upper spine and the right kindof underneath my shoulder blade. I got blood tests and a xray of my spine but everything checks out fine. The pain has gotten worse and is sometimes in my chest. My left arm feels weak and tingley. I also have been light headed kinda like my equilibrium is off. I am a 33 year old female with 4 children. I am a hairstylist so there is a possibility it is job related. I only smoke socially, a couple cigarettes a week. I do drink beer nightly since all of this has been going on. It releives my pain and worry. I went back to the doctor, and he now wants me to try physical therapy. I am willing to do what it takes. I have cut out alcohol, coffee and am trying to start exercising. I just want to feel better again. Oh and I'm 140 and 5'4. I'll try this for a few months. It can't hurt.
I have been experiencing the same things. I had a consistant symptom of chest numbness along with shortness of breath. The shortness of eventually subsided. As time passed I developed acid reflux I took prilosec then my doctor changed me to nexium...so feed up since the meds weren't working I decided to use home remedies honey and apple cider vinegar. The vinegar was yuck but it provided prompt but temporary relief. Over time the apple cider vinegar stopped working. After being prescribed meds that weren't working and results of normal EKG, ECG, stress test, and 24 hr hoilter monitor I decided to see a chiropractor. I rember the last time I had accid reflux was due to back damage as a result of a finder bender 2 years ago, in which I recieved chiropractic care and it helped. I had terrible gerd slumpped over with back pain and chest numbness I received the adjustment and the gerd went away instantly and x-ray revealed that I had pinched nerves and dehydrated discs. Although my numbness remained two days later it was worse and accompanied by pain which I rushed to the ER with chest and left arm pain. They felt it was GI related GI cocktail didn't work but they reveiwed x-rays after I left and said I may have pneumonia...huh? (NO COUGH, NO FEVER, NO FATIGUE, NO SNEEZING, NO WHEEZING etc.) I didn't know you could have pneumona without those symptoms, apiraton of food/liquid, or infection. But I'm going tomorrow for secound opinion to a pulmanologist...PS day 3 of chiropractic care seems to be working no more gerd and a little less discomfort. Good luck and I will keep you posted;)
I have been having numbness in both arms and chest pain for about a month. I'm 25, had 2 strokes and open heart surgery last year. I am admittedly very anxious on a daily basis because of this. Especially when it has to do with chest pain. But it feels like there is a lot of pressure in my arms along with my numbness and pain. It seems that the numbness gets 10x worse when my back hurts. If you guys have had any results from your doctors visits, please help!
I had ur exact same symptoms a few years back and went back and forth with doctor.   finally, they checked my gallbladder and that's what it was.   had gallbladder removed and no problems since.
i'm 23 and experiencing back pain and heart palpitations. i just felt it right now. my lifestyle is healthy and i do exercise. any advice? thanks!
I am a 33 year old female. I have been back and forth hospital after hospital. It started with rapid heart beat and high blood pressure. I was diagnosed with heart paplitations. Things have gotten worse. Now i have times where my heart rate is low and my blood pressure is low, i feel like ive taken a muscle relaxer or sleeping pill. When i havent taken anything. I also have chest pain, left sided weakness, dizziness, vision problems, and slurred speach. I have been told it may be TIA's or tiny strokes. But hospitals do not catch these unless you are monitored while it is happening. My mom also said it sounds like a blockage in my heart. I just wish someone could help me.
I GOT AN ANSWER FINALLY!!"

Hello. I posted back at end of June and then beginning of July to this thread. Similar symptoms to everyone else. Reflux, shoulder pain, arm pain, tingling numbness, chest pain etc.

Well I had another flare. This one was worse then any before (as hard as that is to believe considering how extreme the pain normally is already during these flares.) this time it just didn't get better and the pain ended up wrapping around from my left back/shoulder to the same spot on my left front chest. It did not respond to pain medication (including vicodin, morphine in the hospital and iv injected dilaudid) I could not breath in more then shallow breaths, my lung would not expand even if I tried to force it past the band of pain.

The answer? Thoracic Disc Disease. Which fits in with a previous couple posters saying its Thoracic outlet.

I think I got lucky to get an diagnosis. We saw several doctor that thought it was everything from a gastric bubble to a torn muscle that would just have to wait to heal. It wasn't until one doctor saw me and he seemed to come in knowing what it is. He immediately started checking my reflexes (apparently I am very hyper reflexive which has something to do with the nerve association in this disease) he started moving my head around and arms to test strength and see what hurt and then ordered xrays and mri.

I don't know much about it yet. I literally just got this diagnosis yesterday. I just wanted to post in case it could help others. I don't know if you all would have Thoracic disc disease but I think it and the Thoracic outlet the other sisters were talking about bears a closer look to help you get your answer.
Just wanted to make sure you saw my most recent post about this in case it might help u also. My chiropractor agrees with the diagnosis also so I think I really found an answer.
I have all these problems too. I have been experiencing the same thing for about a year now , it comes and goes all the time. Sometimes it is really painfull and it scares me , I am only 19 and I keep thinking I'm goinmg to have a heart attack , I went to hospital one toime and they did a heart trace they said I had good level of oxygen in my lungs , cud that change in a year ?
Most responders in this thread that have diagnosis are finding its thoracic outlet syndrome or in my case thoracic disc disease which are so rare doctors are not familiar enough to recognis and diagnose. Please talk to your doctor specifically about getting an Mri to diagnose this.
I am a 33 yr old male. I have been experiencing these symptoms for 6 years now. Dr, e.r.,  cardiologist, all cannot tell me what's wrong. It is frustrating. I can't believe everyone that is having the same problems. I read all the way back to 2007 in these posts. I'm shocked isn't there a doctor reading this somewhere that could help us?  I will be a study subject gladly. I don't drink, smoke, or any recreational drugs. I've been told its anxiety and my Dr called it the "Vegas nerve" wth?!!!
A Chiropractor can help you but what your problem is your chest bone needs to be popped and more than likely your back is messed up. If you are experiencing these pains sit down in a chair and stretch as far as you can up and breath deeply and lowly. you will find that this will relieve some of the tension in your back. I have been suffering from back pain for 13 years and it will only get worse. the reason alcohol works is because it is a muscle relaxant. the doctors are not going to tell you anything because it can't be fixed except through painful surgries and pain killers. Get into a swimming pool (heated preferred) and make yourself float. Don't drown, but by taking the pressure off your spine will help heal the pain and you discs. I choose to take Aleve through the week when I am working and if I feel that it becomes to much I will take Ativan 1mg to help destress from the pain. Pain killers are a last resort because your body WILL get addicted to them and the only thing you can do is increase the dosage.
I have had panic attacks for years, and they went away about a year ago out out the blue...i reduced my stress ate better etc etc....the last week also "out of the blue" i can barely function, i am literally living on ativan, i was walking down the street and all of a sudden i got left side chest pain, my head started to get dizzy, face went pale, i knew i was having an attack. I got the shoulder blade pain (under it) left side, and also jaw pain left side, but i do grind my teeth at night as well......................i also take one advil as soon as i wake up so i dont have to feel anything again.

panic attacks and anxiety is brutal, thing is with panic, it attacks the weakest parts of your muscles, i am right handed so my left is weaker, its common sense, i bet most of you are right handed as well, so if your muscle groups on the left are not used as much that's where the anxiety strikes, left chest muscles, arms, jaws, back.....it's an evil evil disease! also at night it tends to get worse because thats when the body starts to slow down and shut down, for sleep time...........anxiety knows this, finds you off your guard and strikes, i swear.STRESS, fighting with people, bad times at work ALL TRIGGER ANXIETY, i now try to sit in peace and quiet, low music, and i breathe and meditate. it helps me PLEASE TRY IT!

I am also experiencing chest pains associated with palpitations and numbness of the left arm. The pains get worse, especially at night, to apoint where I literally get up from sleep and sit upright. I have been to a GP who referred me to a physician who then referrred me to a hospital where I was booked in for a night. An observation was made on me overnight and tests were run the following day. I was told that everything was normal with my heart except that I had an overgrown muscle which sometimes overlaps on an artery when it contracts and therefore reducing the flow of blood, hence the numbness. For me the only permanent solution, I am told, is surgery. Pain killers often help but for a short while. There are no clots or blockages in the path of the blood but I am consdering the surgery because of the severeness of the pain. Doctors say the condition is not fatal.
i feel the same way you do i have been having chest and back pain,shortness of breath and it has been rough for me.went to the doctor had chest xrays and they told me i had tight mucles in my back and chest and i was stressed out. you are right all you can do is pray!
look into TOS thoracic outlet syndrome. this included everything you are talling about and if it is this. even though its been some time since you posted. you may still have this problem.
I just found this site and i am glad i did. I been having chest pains for a long time. I am not the type of man who goes to the hospital (or so i thought) .

I have never experienced a tightning chest pain in the middle of my chest, and i thought it was a heart attach, so i went to the er and after the usual tests, they said everything was fine. They gave me no meds. Two days later, the same thing except its spreading to my arms, shoulders and back. Im not sure if i have bad nerves, or if im too stressed with a newly opened business, college, and a jealous girlfriend. What i do kno is that i need to find out whats going on because now im scared.

Has someone found a way to reduce or stop these pains?
I am 24 yrs old. I have had several episodes here in the past week like that. I am on Xanax for anxiety but this is not like any of my other attacks. These HURT! hurts to breath hurts to move. All I can do is grab my chest n open n close my left hand. Hurt so bad once when I wAs driving I broke out in a cold sweat an had to pull over. I couldn't go any further. I haven't been to doctor yet but I'm afraid I'll end up there within next week because it's killing me.
For a yr now every once in a while I'll get a real painful feeling on the left side of my chest and the a couple seconds later it will be in the upper part of my left arm kind of like a numbness also very painful im 23 with 3 wonderful children and I thought I was stress related so I've never talked or been to my dr about this but now it's getting more frequent about 2 weeks ago I felt the chest and arm pain I felt real dizzie like I was going to pass out, after pain stopped I got real bad head ache which I've been getting those alot lastly to I just want some answers my kids need a healthy mother if anyone can give me answers or thoughts please email me tink_summers0269@ yahoo.com thank you very much for your time hope everyone in here having the same symptoms as me fund out what it is
I cannot believe there are so many others with this problem. I have been having tightness/pain/numbness on the left side of my chest, pain and numbness down my left arm and extremely high heart rate (130-150 bpm). I am 22, smoke and am slightly overweight, but I exercise regularly and don't take drugs and only drink socially. I also have problems sleeping due to this.
First Doctor told me stress, but the anxiety did not start until I began thinking I was going to have a heart attack.

My current doctor is lovely, but disregards much of what I say due to my age. I am willing to accept anxiety as a cause, but I would like everything else rules out first to be safe.

If I get a diagnosis I will post again!
hello im a 21 year old female I have been experiencing left arm numbness and chest,pain also I had a mri done an they told me that one of my blood vessels,had,split,in two an came back together as one but they said,it wasnt a concern every since then ive been having terrible headaches lefT arm pain an chest pain my heart races I always have A urge to burp the pain goes all they way up to my collar bone an throat I have had ekg"s stress test treadmill an xrays of,my heart been to the er 5 times an they keep,telln me nothings wrong I have a one year old,son an I am so scared an dont no what to do please help
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome or TOS encompasses three related syndromes that cause pain in the arm, shoulder, and neck:

Neurogenic TOS (Caused by compression of the brachial plexus.)
Characteristic sign, called the Gilliatt-Sumner hand, in which there is severe wasting in the fleshy base of the thumb. There may be numbness along the underside of the hand and forearm, or dull aching pain in the neck, shoulder, and armpit.

Vascular TOS (Caused by compression of the subclavian artery or vein.)
Pallor, a weak or absent pulse in the affected arm, which also may be cool to the touch and appear paler than the unaffected arm. Symptoms may include numbness, tingling, aching, and heaviness.

Non-specific TOS (Unexplained causes.)
Dull, aching pain in the neck, shoulder, and armpit that gets worse with activity. The symptoms are frequently triggered by a traumatic event such as a car accident or a work related injury. It also occurs in athletes, including weight lifters, swimmers, tennis players, and baseball players.

Treatment usually consists of exercise programs and physical therapy to strengthen chest muscles, restore normal posture, and relieve compression by increasing the space of the area the nerve passes through. Some people require surgery.
Anytime ANYONE is EVER having chest pain they should IMMEDIATELY call 911 or be taken to the ER. The worst that can happen is a heart attack resulting in death. It could even just be a panic attack, which should be taken seriously. The least it could be is a simple muscle pain from straining an area that isn't usually worked out, and if thats all it is don't worry about going home without a life threatening diagnosis. Be glad that it could have been worse
I too have had chest pain my left arm hurts and my sholder hurts on my left side and now my
I too have had chest pain my left arm hurts and my sholder hurts on my left side and now my etar is starting to hurt and when i talk i sometimes bit my tougne i am 31yrs old and i am overwieght i have been to the doctor and they tell me i am ok that its all anxiety but simetimes i feel like i am dieing if antone feels the same pls let me know
Im having the same problem but ive been dealing with chest pain on both sides, my shoulder blades hurt, under my armpits hurt, my back hurts and ive had a blood pressure of 140 and up for the past 3 years and its completly ruined my daily rutine. Ive been to the hospital 3 times and was told that i have a slightly enlarged heart but that im completly healthy other then that. I dont understand how someone who deals with pain like this every day is completly healthy? Can a doctor please answer my question with what i shopuld get done because its to the point where now every time i feel like i need to go to hospital my parents take it as me just complaining. respond please. Oh nd i just figured out on lactose and tolerant.
I have been having small chest pain on my left side off and on and now for the past 2 weeks my fingers in both hands have been numb and tingly. And when I have my arms in one position for to long they start going numb too.
Hi, Well, it's Christmas. I have eaten alot and drank alot of coke etc. I started experiencing heartburn and trapped wind and an uncomfortable stomach on Christmas night. The next day, I was in my bed and I had a bit of a sore heart and sort of shooting pains in my left arm. It wasn't severe but uncomfortable. I had a bit of an achy forearm too. Also, I have had a bad left shoulder/neck area, a numb pain, I thought it was a trapped nerve but I went to the doc's and said it was just a bad muscle. All these pieces of puzzle are comming together now and I'm a bit worried. I think the heart pain could just be indigestion but the pains in my left arm?... I am left handed could this just be a strain or something? I find it a bit of a coincedence though... I might make an appointment for this but I don't wanna be a hypocondriac. I'll see how it goes. It is now the 28th Dec -- 3 days after my heart pains and I still have them now.. I hope I survive lol
I'm only 20 years old 5'9" 215lbs, but i have a big build. i dont have a normal sleeping pattern and im on a crappy mattress where the springs kind of come out but, i get pains in my chest, back and arm..all the left side of my body and i start getting really worried when it happens. my doctor 2 years ago said it was nothing maybe a pulled mucle but i didnt believe him, these pains havent gone away since. does anyone know what this could be? I have a 15 month old son and a fiance, they mean they world to me and i dont want to be scared of my health all the time...i dont want to miss anything important because im worried all the time. these chest pains come fast and go away fast sometimes also, but other times its more of a throbbing type of pain. PLEASE help someone.
I have asthma and few month ago after years of controlling it had chest pains and pultation and was told it was my asthma upper the dos of inhalers but still have chest pains and sometime I have to suddenly take deep breaths and the middle of my chest goes numb can anyone help me
I'm 18 and I have been having severe chest pains for 2 years now. Panic attacks are consistent throughout the day. always nervous and uncomfortable. I've been to many doctors and specialists, they say I may have a severed nerve in my chest. I can't deal with it any more its driving me insane! I've been on so many different meds and all they do is make me feel even worse then I have to come off them because they don't help.. is there anyway of relieving the pain I used to be a heavy drug user and I know the anxiety has a lot to do with that. but I can't sit in a meeting or go to work without feeling like I'm going to freak out or have a heart attack.. everyone tells me I'm lazy because I don't want to go for a 5 hour bike ride or leave the house when I'm feeling really ******. No one gets it at all I'm hoping it goes away in the next year or so. theres no one I'll be able to deal with this the rest of my life
my husband 29 has the same problem as most on this page, he has back pain sore ribs numbness to his arm hand  and face. Finds it hard to breath thinks hes having a heart attack. cant sleep and is very worried. He went to the doctors on friday and they said that they thought it might have been a colasped lung, blood clot in the lung or lung infection. But after he looked at him he just said everything seems good take imbrofpen for the pain if it still doesnt get any better come back and see him. My husband is in still alot of discomfort am not sure what to do, as i see most of you that has the same problem arent getting no answers. I will keep you all posted i am making him another appointment on monday to see what they say
I have the same thing. My doc just says its anxiety but now im pregnant and cant take the meds but its hurting worse. Its miserable. Im 20  years old and overweight but have been told its not my heart at all.
hI THIS IS RAZA,
I have pinching and stebbing pain right bottom of my left chest. When I wake up from sleep i feel heavy pain at the back of my shoulders. I went to the doctor they did xray and blood test. All were fine and doctor discharge me saying it is muscles pain or stress.  I do not have any idea what it is. pain in my chest is some time so pinching that even i cannot sneez.
Ask your doctor if  Gabapentin capsules will help you manage the pain.
Best of LUCK to you. May you get better soon.
Mark
Dear Friends, I, too, have your symptoms, so I truly sympathize with you all.
Please consult with an ELECTROPHYSIOLOGIST, a person trained beyond regular  cardiology to operate on the electrical circuitry of the heart. This is a specialty about which I'd never heard. I was merely seeking a second opinion and picked the right doctor--he operated immediately in October, and said without the procedure, I would have not lived to Thanksgiving. I had chest pain, pain and numbness in my RIGHT arm and hand, a swollen right leg and foot, stabbing pain in my upper back, extreme shortness of breath, and wide variations in my heart rate that a heart monitor finally caught, ranging from 27 beats per minute up to 255 (not a typo) beats per minute. Nobody sent me to the electrophysiologist; it was sheer luck that I picked him out of the phone book. Later, I met SIX other people in my town who had started out with the same cardiologist as I, and
who decided to seek a second opinion at the last minute and consulted with an electrophysiologist. Each person ended up having the same surgery that I had, a cardiac ablation, in which tubes are inserted in the groin and the doctor and his trained staff sit and monitor each heart beat, trying to identify the areas where irregularities are occurring before they cauterize
every other electrical cell to make the heart work properly. It can be a slow and tedious procedure, but it is well worth it. Good luck to everyone!
check chostrocondridis, chest wall pain and it does feel like a heart attack, can last for months and everyone thinks your crazy i had this and its kinda a pheonomenia because its not really distinct in a specific reason or answer for it but its real and its a real disease
have you thought of Sciatica
hii i think it may be panic attacks..same thing is currently happening to me, and i am 21 years old..i get a sudden numbness in my chest and arm, and i often feel my heart cramping or being stabbed/a tingly painful feeling. but apparently based on a few doctors diagnosis, its just panic attacks. u dont need to have any major stressful event to provoke panic attacks- they just occur at anytime. i believe its a built up of stress and anxiety over time + an increased awareness of one's physiological states. when i start noticing any slight numbness i instantly become worried and anxious -> which consequently leads to a panic attack and my heart palpitating, leading to a vicious cycle. always remind yourself that youve had all these scans- if its anything physiological it would have most likely been spotted, and panic attacks lead to such symptoms in the chest anyways. so just calm yourself down and deep breath whenever u feel any pain or numbness. goodluck!
hi im 22yrs old and even im suffering from similar problem. i often get chest pain towards my rigth side and numbness of arms first which spreads on to my both leg and finally to right side of my head. from last friday im suffering from this and yesterday was really sick. was having short of breath and was not able to have any food and also was feeling giddy and having nausea. i really need help atleast to know whether this problem is due to anxiety or i should consult some doctor. i can always tell that im not a person who gets anxious very often.
I've had pretty much the same kinda pains for a few months now. Sometimes my arm gets really cold and other times it is not but,the pain is steady. The weird thing about my pain is that it jumps from my back to my arm to my shoulder then my chest and then my hand and never do they all hurt at the same time.A couple of hours here then a couple hours there, jumping from one spot to the other and it's freaking me out. I've got a feeling that it's poor circulation because it hurts more when my arm gets cold and a hot bath fixes me right up (but only as long as I'm in the hot water). Maybe I have a collapsed vein because I forgot to mention that I shoot dope periodically.
have you ever been tested for h.pylori bacterium? if not have a read up also sounds like there could be a sign of fibromyalgia? all these things can cause your symptoms, not being a doctor but a normal person who has experienced the same symptoms you had and discovered that especially fibromyalgia has many symptoms and i mean many!! dont forget to tell the doctor you see everything every niggle every pain every feeling because illness isnt just physical its also psychosymatic..probly spelt that wrong bet you know what i mean :)
Read this one,,,,,, this is crazy, problem area, left side of my body,with pain and numbness,and inflammation , my foot pain is the worst, it feels like I need to crack my big toe, squeeze my foot and it relieves all the pain for a brief moment while the blood begins to flow threw the left side of my body,, but that's just the beginning..I feel it all from my foot, to the leg, my thigh, hip, side and my arm,under arm, shoulder, chest and breast, my face, head,  ear, eye, tongue, nose, and shortness of breath, also my hand and pointing finger that feels the same as my big toe,,,,,,my Hands even turn blue on both my left and right sides,, that's lack of oxygen right? Other than that, it's all on the left side,, the right side of my body is just fine,,,,I even have
problems with memory loss,,,,,I don't except it but I do feel it.... What is this
crazy thing,,,,, is it a blood flow problem, cancer, muscular problem, stroke,
heart problem, collapsed lung,
breast cancer, arthritis, pinched nerves????? Is it a combination of things, What is it? I'm tired all the time, have to sit down and take my time on some days,,, it's not always that
bad but the pain and numbness is constant...I've been to a foot doctor,
general doc., with no real answer of what's wrong with me.. Heart test and
a number of other general test,,, all came back fine. Does anybody have a clue... I'm a female, 31, and about 215 lbs
Omg I have the same thing kinda . I'm 15 6'0  ft 260 pounds use to smoke and I get tightness in my left side of my chest and back and get pains in my left shoulder , arm , and hand it also gets numb I went to the doctors and they said I has acid reflux and gave me zantrex but it didn't help and it's been over a month I think it's my heart cause it hurts all around it please help !
I can't believe I found this. Just sitting here bored and decided to google my symptoms. I have been having these exact same things happen for OVER A YEAR!!!!!!! It actually started very slowly over two years ago and progresed badly. I go to the hospital, have very high blood pressure, see a doctor. Xrays, blood work, ect. Nothing! the attacks seem to get worse and wors that it feels like I should die but dont. One important thing you should know about me. I dont have panic attacks. I'm such a calm person and thats what is scariest! I abused meth and smoked as a younger person. Not proud of this, but now clean but chew, 28 years old. I see that these post are from 2007 thru 2009. It is now 2012 as I write this. Please, if anybody has found anything out, email, please! Every day is more suffering when u dont know what is wrong with you. Thank you. Jesse........ ***@****
i have had all of these chest pains sharp pain in my arms all of it i also thought it was a heart attack everyone i have seen told me its panick attack it has been going on now for about 3 months i also smoke but am also healthy thing is i am 16 years old witch is scary but thank u to everyone i thought i was just me
I'm experiencing the same issue. I had it for two months now. My blood pressure has been skyrocketing. I have two kids and feel the same way. Did you ever get the issue resolved.
i feeling pain in my right side chest .its begain from uper back and goes to chest some time it goest to arms,hands,shoulders
help me in this sitivation,the doctore says that your massals pain full.this is the main problem.i have also l4 l5 problem before 5 year ago
any body help me in this sitivation
muhammad javed

***@****
Viewing 1-200 comments: