Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Choking In Sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Choking In Sleep

I have been having some random symptoms that have all started about the same time. My neck and upper back have stiff and sore for awhile. When I sleep I find myself waking up choking on my saliva. Choking so bad thats I actually vomit from time to time. I can get up and spit, and it will actually be stringy. If (for some reason) its still there awhile later, its still stringy and kind of gummy.  Unfortunately the problem isn't always when I try to sleep...before having a sharper body angle helped out. But now nothing seems to stop it...I can chew gum and drink lots of water, that cuts down on the problem. But for some reason nothing seems to stop it. What can I do about this? I've thought about going to doctor...but I can't seem to bring myself to it. They're such random problems, and after all the reading I've done I can't find any reason for this.
My mouth also doesn't produce enough saliva, so I have dry mouth all the time. I've read that sores can develop because of this (which I do have in my mouth, any help on how to get rid of them...brushing doesn't do it, and I have this green tint to my tongue, I can clean part of it off by brushing repeatedly but then its back, help?) and that swallowing can become difficult. Could this be related to the choking problem?
You really need to see a physician. Your symptoms suggest a variety of problems that are treatable if nipped in the bud, but can be life-threatening if ignored. You don't have "random problems". Don't be embarrassed. Seek a professional in-person medical evaluationby an M.D. and referral to a specialist. Don't let a general practicioner blow you off.
I agree...definitely see a doc. You constellation of symptoms may seem "random" to you, but make sense to a doc. Could be very simple problem like allergies that are producing to much mucus. It's possible that when you sleep it drips down your throat and you choke on it. You might try mucinex pills and see if they help. Could be something more serious. Difficulty swallowing and a stiff neck both can indicate something's wrong neurologically. See a doc. I'd start with an ENT. Good luck.