Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic Back Pain between 4th and 5th Lumbar region

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Ok so when i was 15 I fell of a horse or rather I was training a hors eand it reared and fell onto me, i was on it at the time... anyway ever since then I have had pain at the base of my spine, not noticeable unless pressure is applied or i ride for a while, or if i sit a certain way, i lose all ability to stand for about 5 minutes...
I went to 2 doctors both gave me x rays that came back normal, they said it's probably just a bone bruise and give it time, well i'm almost 23 and it's been hurting since I was 15, I'm really aprehensive about going to the doctor because i went there a lot when i was younger because i had mono/glandular fever that caused an umminue disorder, so i don't want to go back again, plus I'm paranoid they'll think I'm a hypochondriac, which i'm not. so anyway no one can touch this art of my back, if it's pressed i fall on my knees and cry for a while as it's agony to touch...I think it's from that, except since that fall, I also have terrible period pain, that leaves me curled up in bed for days unable to move and nothing works...not even codeine and also since that day have ibs like symptoms...can some help..I'm at my wits end and the doctors aren't helping...
Hi am so sorry you suffering like you are and I understand where you are coming from.  I fell through a roof as a teenager and suffered from bad back pain thereafter.  I had xrays which showed nothing and they told my mom I was hypochondriac and needed valium.  I suffered for ten years with chronic back pain until my son was born and they finally did an MRI when I landed in ER once again not being able to stand or move with excruciating pain.  They found I had a moderate disc tear at L5 and mild disc bulging at L6.  I was advised to lose weight as I went to 109Kgs being pregnant with my son.  I lost 30Kgs and still suffered.  I tried pilates, lived on Voltaren injections which I learned to do myself and basically tried anything that might relieve the pain.  Some times it grounded me for weeks, lying in bed.  I got terrible shooting pains up and down my legs and could not touch my back at all, I used to scream when they tried to do physio or massage.  I back and legs/feet would feel numb all the while the pains were unbearable.  I would be standing or walking and suddenly fall or not be able to take another step because of the pain.  Two years September my dics prolapsed fully and I had to have emergancy surgery to L5/L6.  I had to go to South Africa for the operation and the neurologist who operated said my disc disease was far worse than our MRI even showed and I was fortunate not to have paralysis as my nerves were being compressed.  He was so sympathetic and could not believe I had struggled for so long and on such inadequate pain medication.  I am so much better two years on and my quality of life has improved ten fold.  With regards to your IBS and period pain, I'd hate to guess but I did get allot of refered pain from my spine which made me double up in pain, I often wondered if anything bad was going on in my stomach, kidneys etc because of the pain.  What you need is a second opinion from a doctor who understands, it is your right as you are paying them.  I can only sympathise with you about the pain as it is terrible.  I'm not saying you have the same thing as I had, but it may be similar and I'd hate you to waste more of your life suffering as I did, I went through at least five doctors before one of them took my symptoms seriously.  I was offered councelling, prozac etc as they said my symptoms were in my head, well I was right and they were wrong.  I really wish you all the best, don't give up till you find someone who will listen.  Take care.
I know exactly what you are talking about.  I finally had back surgery at L4-L5 after my leg was going numb.  After rehab therapy, I have had little back or leg pain.  Have you actually seen a neurosurgeon?  He/she would be the one to really discuss your situation thoroughly and listen to all of your symptoms.

As far as the period pain, I too had this problem in my younger years.  Turns out both of my ovaries were totally cysted over, and that's what caused the horrible period pain.  When I was a teen I would never be able to go to school the first day of my period.  I would have to lie on the floor with a pillow pressing on my abdomen to handle the pain.  If you have not had a gyne physical, get one.  Don't suffer in silence.

I wish you well.

sounds to me like nerve damage in your spinal cord. try to get a doc to MRI if you can convince one to actually work with you.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the lumbo-sacral spine region after the fall. An X-ray alone will not help. You will need to get a MRI of that region. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!