Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic Constipation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Chronic Constipation

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few yrs ago and since that I have had very healthy bowels No constipation and No diahrria. Which I experienced both before following the gluten free diet. I follow it 100% and never cheat, its really just not worth it for me. About 6+ mths ago I started to have constipation, It came on relatively fast and I made sure to start increasing my fiber, and eating more fruits and veggies, I have always been a healthy eater, and a huge water drinker, but I increased with no results.  My stools were extremely dry and hard to get out and required straining and very uncomfortable. I developed hemmorroids and my stools went to being very healthy to being very small hard rocks, never a sold peice just small hard dry rock like stools.  I explained to my GP and she did a stool sample to check for blood, it came back negative, Over the next few mths, I started trying everything from sennosides, to docusates, to mircolax, lactulose(60 mls per day which is the max) and all types of suppositorys glycerine, bisacodyl, and enemas. I got some results with enemas, microlax, and bisacodyl supps only very small results though. I began to feel scared because this was going on for so long, I also have been showing signs of CFS for over 6 mths, currently on waiting list to see a neurologist 6-9 mth wait. my GP is quearing FMS and MS. I have a lot of aches and pains in my extremeties, find it hard to get out of bed and mostly just spend my days laying in bed due to the fact I have no energy. My Dr sent me for an xray of my abdomen on Friday and she said it showed I was full of stool and she will refer me to a GI specialist for a colonoscopy. (hopefully wont take too long)  I am also currently taking effexor 300mg daily which i started about 3 mths ago with some benefits to the aches and pains in my extremeties and xanax for anxiety and zopcilone for sleep aid. I also have had acne for the past 20 yrs. I recently started talking more supplements, including chlorella, glutamin, milk thistle, omega fish oils, B12 and calcium and magnesium, I have always been into researching suppllements and which ones are best for the symptoms your are experiencing. So mainly I would love some feedback on my chronic constipation and the CFS symotoms.  Appreciate it.....Thanks
Well, it sounds like you tried a lot of things. I'm glad you are getting a colonoscopy to make sure there is no blockage or anything else going on down there. Diet wise I take Metamucil every day and also went on the McDougall Diet which is basically a whole plant based diet (vegan) and no added oil when you cook. I do take fish oil for the DHA and omega 3, Although he says you don't have to. You can get it by diet. You do need to supplement with vitamin D and after a couple of years of being on the diet then supplement with B12. I have his website if you are interested in the diet. It helped me become more regular. Also, you can keep whatever adjustments you need such as the wheat glutan avoidance. We have been on this diet now for a year and it has helped my husband lose 30 pounds and lower his blood pressure and cholesterol to  a very healthy level while nothing else worked for him. For me it lower my cholesterol but I didn't lose any weight but I just found out I wasn't eating as many veggies as I should have. It should be about half veggies to half starch. You need to have a complete protein with each meal so it is either beans and rice or potatoes and lentils or something. Dr. McDougall claims he can get rid of MS symptoms as well as type II diabetes and some other things. I have read widely about this kind of diet and I am not a fad dieter and actually never had to diet. It is a heath choice for us. Also, Taking magnesium (slow mag) will loosen you up for sure. Unless there is a blockage or something structural going on. Have you taken any antibiotics in the last 3 months? Any of your drugs cause constipation? My do so that is why  I ask. Any pain the abdomin (abdomen)? any fever? It does sound like something structural may be going on but you should be able to rule that out soon. Have they also checked the abdominal area via upper GI or gastroscopy? I think once you figure out and clear out your system you will find a lot of your bad symptoms will go away.
mkh9
Get tested for anemia; it can cause constipation.  Taking iron actually helps my constipation, although supposedly it is constipating.  

For constipation I use magnesium citrate every day, and alternate Miralax with Amitiza (prescription tablet that is extremely effective).  It is expensive.  I recommend you try taking one pill every other day at the most.  It seems more effective when you don't take it every day.  That's why I alternate with Miralax.  

Do take a prebiotic.  Try stopping dairy.  If that doesn't help, try stopping soy, then nuts.  They are all common food allergens.  
Do you drink prune juice at all?  I have found an 8 ounce glass or prune juice (unsweetened) for my taste followed by an 8 ounce glass of water helps to keep my system regular.  I tend to have very poor eating habits because I work a lot and eat a lot of fatty foods.