Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic Lymes Disease Treatment and High White Blood Cell Counts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am interested to discover if anyone has any light to shed on Chronic Lymes Disease.  I was diagnosed 4 months ago, but suffered with the symptoms of the disease for approximately a year and a half before I rememered a bulls eye on my tummy accompanied by a 102 fever that a doc at an emergency clinic (it was a Sat. so my reg doc's office was closed) said it was "ringworm".  
Anyway, so now that I am stuck with this disease in the chronic stages, I have been put on 3  months of Doxycycline and was on 2 months of Amoxycillan as well.  During this time, I had one "herx" reaction and two extremely swollen joint incidents.  I am sure it is not that signifgicant, but I am only 24 and sometimes I wake up in the morning and almost cannot walk my knees are so arthritic.  
Finally, my question lies in the fact that I am coming off my meds THIS month.  Only last week, my big toe joint swelled up (from the Lymes) and was so painful that they took X-rays and did blood work (to make sure I didn't have gout) and the results said my White Blood Cell count is at 12.  How on earth can it be so high when I am at the "end" of my treatment?  They have referred me to a Hematologists and a Rhuematologists.  What if these specialists are not Lyme Literate Medical Doctors?!  AND is there any plausible explanation for my white count to be so high?!  I am very worried and concerned ESPECIALLY due to the fact I have been misdiagnosed atleast FOUR times and I feel like every doc I see gives me a different story!  ANY words of wisdom?!
Lyme disease is a diverse, systemic disease that presents with symptoms that can "fit" alot of different disorders and diseases.  It can be difficult to treat, but once identified, antibiotics of one form or another are generally used.  Each doseage can only be administered for a distinct period of time without risk of the body developing some for of "super bacteria" immune to antibiotics. If you feel the need to change doctors, you might want to check out large medical centers and educational facilities doing studies on Lyme disease.  Mayo clinic, for instance.  White blood counts are normally between 4300 and 10800.  WBC can go higher for a variety of reasons, the main being infection and inflammation.  Absence of a temperature would cause a look-see at other problems.  The use of meds like antibiotics, inflammatories, antipsychotics (used for depression), and asprin, to  name a few can cause a rise in WBC.  Treatments that use heparin or corticosteroids can raise WBC.  Acute and severe emotional and physical stress can also raise WBC.  Worse case, Leukemia can also raise WBC, but is usually accompanied by fever.  Going to a Rheumatologist would be to check out the possibility of RA, or other immune disorders common with the progression of Lyme.  Going to a Hemotologist would be to rule out Leukemia and other blood disorders. These specialists will not treat Lyme disease, but the disorders resulting from the Lyme disease. The doctor treating your Lyme should remain the doctor treating you for your Lyme and should continue referring you to various specialists for each "problem" as it occurs.  Lyme is a disease that effects the whole body and cannot be predicted as to what it will effect next. Hope this helps
my dad has leg pain  and his wbc is 13000