Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic boils

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Chronic boils

This question is actually for a friend of mine. He is 28 years old and has suffered from chronic boils all of his life. He can get them all over his body but they mainly occur on his back. These are no ordinary pimples or zits, they can become huge, as big as a golfball. He has the thickest skin I have ever seen on a human and due to this, the boils almost always have to be lanced in order for them to go away. Even when you try to lance them, his skin is so tough that you can actually bend or break the needle or small blade your trying to use. He has seen general doctors, specialists, and home remedies out the wazoo. Nothing works and no one knows why he continues to get these boils. He has been on antibiotics and even had to have surgery to drain a boil that went so deep, it was right on top of his spinal cord. This is a very painful and embarrassing condition for him and has cost him thousands of dollars trying to get rid of it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read turmeric works good for boils but I saw there can be some side effects and wonder if it's healthy to take it on a daily basis?
he probably has this Hidradenitis suppurativa. There is no real cure but something that help are using and antiseptic soap to was with and watch what he eats lower carbs less break outs.
Boils are the most tough thing to get rid of. I think he needs to change his diet and avoid as much as he can high in fat food and oily food. Mabe if he did a diet change, the boils would subside a little. I mean, I am 36 yrs old and still suffer from acne. What I have found also to help when I get boils is to treat them two time a day with antibiotic cream and a bandage, until I see some change in size. I would seek out a second opinion and find the best darn skin Doctor out there to help with this problem once and for all! Good Luck with your friend!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You are probably talking about Hidradenitis suppurativa, which presents as recurrent boil-like pus-like discharge abscesses resulting in difficult-to-heal open wounds and scarring. It is also known as ‘acne inversa’. The disease can spread to genitals. It can also be due to staphylococcal skin infections. Your friend should wash skin with antiseptic lotions daily to decrease bacteria. Treatment is by topical antibiotics and steroids. Local antibiotics of erythromycin and Clindamycin group also help. Retenoid group of drugs also help. Get his diabetes & thyroid status checked as high blood sugar can also cause recurrent boils. Possibility of a connective tissue disorder too should be looked into. Consult a skin specialist. Take care!