Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic diarrhea and weight Gain!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Chronic diarrhea and weight Gain!

My partner has been enduring chronic diarrhea, weight gain, abdominal pain, being cold all of the time(even cold to the touch), and she has been through the gamut of testing. The doctors we have seen don't seem to care. She has 10-20 bowel movements every day and she is so fatigued and sad. I am in need of help or where to go for help for her.
Tags: chronic, diarrhea, Weight, abdominal, s, bowel, cold, colitis, cortisone, massive, microscopic, pain, parathyroid, thyroid, Weight gain, abdominal pain, Addison, addisons disease
-3 Comments
She should be tested for thyroid, and for Chron's Disease. You can always g to the ER, and refuse to leave until they do the proper tests.
I agree with the last advice.  Get the thyroid checked, as well as the parathyroid (hypoparathyroidism).  Also get checked for Addison's Disease
I get the same thing, although it is more than 10 times a day.  When these flare-ups occur, I get hospitalized and am put on massive doses of Cortisone (for the sddisons) and fluids.  The cortisone helps.  Once I go home, I taper it down & also take Asacol for my microscopic colitis. (because they never know which flares up first the addisons or the colitis.)

Good luck
mrskav
Hi.
My brother has recently been diagnose with Addison's disease, which has very similar symptoms to what you're describing.
The symptoms include:
Fatigue, depression, diaohrea,muscle aches and pains, sometimes joint pain, sensitivity to the cold, low blood pressure, feeling faint and eventually usually starting to faint and collapse.
Although, usually with Addison's you get weight loss but there have been a few cases with weight gain, you'll need an ACTH/synacthen test to determine whether you have addison's or not.
I have gained 60 lbs. in the last year, with no significant change in my diet, and have had chronic diahrrea for the same amount of time.  I have had my thyroid checked, as well as my liver and other metabolic tests!!  My doctors don't have a clue, and it is affecting every aspect of my life!!  Can anyone help me?
im the same... althou since the testng began they found me to have PCOS and that i now have an eating disorder because ive beenso depressed...

withyou and all of the above.... try cutting dairy and wheat out... i suffered from the age of 13-now... it was only when i tried it that i started feeling better... i dont have ibs or come back positive for anything... yet cutting them out seems to help ... o and an ingredient something like phennomlyn... not sure how to spell it... its in chewing gums and fizzy drinks.... cut it allout and u may see an improvement after a few days... its hard but i find chicken (different spices) with added black pepper really settles my stomach

good luck
Did you figure out what you had?  I am having very similar problems.
PARATHYROID GLAND TESTING !   The forgotten endo one. . .   Blood tests will include - PTH, KIDNEY FUNCTION, CALCIUM and VITAMIN D.  If PTH is high - get a scan for a PARATHYROID ADENOMA - primarily benign so dont be scared. Then get to the Endo ASAP !  Kellie from AUSTRALIA.
And yes i do agree with the gluten issues - hypothyroidism has been know to show up with cealiac disease or celiac for my american mates here and if youre really sick at times SARCOIDOSIS.  Get tough guys, have and show loads of positive spirit and gumption and trust that beautiful and great and strong body that God gave you! Trust in your instincts and inner strength!  Some doctors will wait till your kidney or some other internal organ  has popped out onto the street and is being dragged behind one of your feet !  Humour or humor for usa friends and positivity is what you need !  Get on the net. Research. Highlight your suspected findings and let them take it home on the weekend to read. Make a list of the tests that you WANT and some that the GP can also think of. Leave a bucket of blood and urine for them for the tests and make them work for their money AND YOU !  Its your body - take control! Go get em and wrangle that disease thats holding you hostage. The dr works for you so dont be bullied ! So what if they call you a hypochondriac. Your personal strength and tenacity will find your cure or management answers. And if all else fails dump that doctor and then take all your tests down the street to another gp TOOT-SWEET !  but remember, dont forget to know when to stop and match up all of the results to get a REASONABLE IDEA of the problem and then relax into yourself and mangaing your condition at that time to stop obsessive health worry. That will stress your body more than any disease. Just get your Bloods checked regularly relevant to thyroid etc. Ie. 4-6 months to check for new or next phase changes and keep on top of it as and when needed. Xx good-luck and focus forum friends !   : )
And keep an eye on any body ALLERGY REACTIONS like alopecia of your arms, white hairs sprouting - not gray but white - that is VITILIGO symptoms or is how thyroid hairs grow back. Skin reactions like follicular or rash type reactions - endocrine issues not just gluten symptoms. And what is the hair shaft quality like - mine is like hair mats at present - no idea ! Im fighting my gp with this right now - yes when all else fails the gp will say, i think its a virus. Yeah sure it is. That ego of the doctors will always get in the way of YOUR cure. I found the parathyroid problem myself ! He asked how - i said, yes i can read same as you mr.doctor. You might have a med degree but ive got just as many business degrees and yes we can research too !  Please everyone keep an eye on your KIDNEY FUNCTION it is all linked to endo malfunctions. I dont want to borrow organs from family members - and i bet you dont either. Xx