Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic heel pain for 16 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Chronic heel pain for 16 years

I have been suffering from chronic heel pain for 14 years.  I am a healthy 30 year old woman and I don't know what to do.  I have had shockwave treatment, cortisone injections, orthotics, taping, NSAIDS, a fasciotomy and tarsal tunnel release.   I have spent a lot of time and money in trying to get my foot pain under control and nothing is working.  I do not have heel pain when I first get up in the morning.  I feel great.  My job consists of me standing for 12 hour shifts and the pain begins in my heel after 1-2 hours of standing.  It is a terrible aching, throbbing pain.   My job is very important to me and I do not want to lose it due to my pain.  Please anyone who might have any suggestions please help me.  This is a horrible economy and I will never find another good job like this in my area.  I am 5'8" and  I weigh 180 lbs, but my doctor says this has nothing to do with my heel pain.   There are other women I work with who weigh more than me and they have no heel pain whatsoever.   I was at first diagnosed with plantar fasciitis even though I didnt have the classic symptoms.   I had a fasciotomy and fasciectomy in my right heel and its still feels the same as my left heel.   Then I had an NCV EMG and it turned out I had pinched nerves in both ankles.   So I had a tarsal tunnel release in my right foot.  It has been 3 months since the release and am back to work but the pain is still the same.   Nothing has helped.  If anyone knows of what could be wrong please give me any suggestions or advise.  It will be greatly appreciated.  I have also been on lyrica, cymbalta, and high doses of NSAIDS and so far nothing has even made a tiny difference.
1 Comment
When the doctor wanted to try surgery for my heel pain, I sought the alternative of wearing Birkenstock sandals - the original cork footbed model.  This footwear has all the right support features to keep my heels cupped and fascia and arches supported such that my pain is alleviated.  For one year I never let my feet hit the ground without being placed in a Birkenstock sandal or shoe.  In the shower I wore a plastic pair that imitated the arches and toe grips in the Birkenstock footwear.  All I can tell you is...it worked!  Now I occasionally switch out of the Birkis for formal events or to walk in my tennis shoes or occasionally even a wedge heel.  Whoo!  It was worth the lack of fashion to be free of hobbling around in pain.  Try it.  I don't normally recommend brands, but this one did save the day for me.