Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic pain After Chicken Pox

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Chronic pain After Chicken Pox

I am a 38yr female who was diagnosed with chickenpox when I was 26. ABout 3-weeks after I started treatment, I was feeling recovering well. Then one day all that instantly changed. Since that day I have been experiencing stomach pain and bloating; doesn't matter if I eat or not sometimes. Chest pain in various areas. Left arm pain/ache/numbness (on top forearm and last 2 fingures). For the first 5 years after pox it was constant. All my limbs felt numb often as during the first year after pox. I couldn't lay down in a bed because of the pain in my chest area, so I slept in a chair. During year 6-7 I slowly moved back to sleeping in a bed. During years 8-present my symptoms may disappear for a week or a month only to return;sometimes mild, but often severe.

I went to the ER many times thinking I was having a heart attack. I contantly went to doctors for two years, and they tried many meds and tests. They found nothing. They think I could have a hiatial hernia, but they're not sure. They know I don't have guilian-barre, and they told me its in my head. ???? Its NOT in my head! It has ruined my young-adlt life. I have done the meds and tests. I have chaged diet, went 50% raw as well. I've done all the detoxes and cleanses, the herbs the vitamins and such. I'm tired; its been over 12 years with no answer and no relief. The past few months have been very painful; any thoughts?
1 Comment
Welcome to the forum!
The virus of chicken pox remains in the nerves and can often cause shingles. This can also cause demyelination or removal of myelin sheath that covers the nerves. This can cause aches and pain all over the body.
The second possibility is post viral fatigue syndrome. The symptoms of malaise persist for months and years after a bad attack from virus. Another possibility is deficiency of Vitamin B12.
It is also possible that you developed some inflammatory bowel condition such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, Celiac disease (gluten intolerance), lactose intolerance or IBS or irritable bowel syndrome. Severe acidity with gastric reflux can also be a cause and so also worms in stool.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your doctor once. It would be a good idea to consult a gastroenterologist and a neurologist. Hope this helps. Take care!