Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chronic pain in the right lower rib area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi everyone!
I am a 25 year old female.  I am consulting this website in the hopes that someone will be able to help me out.
I've had this constant pain on my lower rib area (where the floating ribs are) for over 3 years. The pain is localized to the side, and produces discomfort regardless of whether I'm moving or at rest. The pain is more intense pain when I put pressure on the area. I also have this sensation of heat and acidity around the area and often feel nauseated and fatigued.
I have had recurrent urinary tract infections over the past few years, and so the doctors that have assessed my pain have done so with a suspicion that it might be a renal problem. They've sent me for renal ultrasounds, but the results turn out to be normal. Nothing else has been done to assess my pain...no xrays, no blood tests...the pain I've been having has been completely neglected by my doctors.  The issue has become even more complicated now that I moved to Spain because I rely on a travel medical insurance that does not cover previous ailments.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated...
if kidney problems have been ruled out, could it be your liver? are you jaundiced? did your doctor do a physical examination? Ive heard milk thistle is good for your liver. a blood test would be best all round really.  good luck
Hi Anna, thanx for the input! Luckily enough, I am not jaundiced.  I think they did check my liver when I went for my 1st ultrasound, but I'm not 100% sure.  The problem is that it happened 2 years ago, when the pain was more tolerable, but i am certain that they didn't check it on the most recent ultrasound. They did perform a physical examination before they sent me for the ultrasound, but after ruling out any renal issues (with the ultrasound), they just focused on relieving the discomfort that I had related to urination .
Maybe I should try the milk thistle for a while and see if there's any improvement. I could also go to a private doctor or lab and ask for a blood test. I am a student, though, and I don't have a lot of money to spare for medical tests.  So, what kind of blood test do you consider more appropriate in this case, a blood enzyme test or a blood chemistry test?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A step wise approach is needed to diagnose pain under right rib cage. If you have pain under your right rib then there could be a liver infection, pancreatitis, or a gall bladder problem. Get a liver function test, ultrasound or CT of abdomen, and pancreatic enzymes. It can also be due to acidity and duodenal ulcer. Take a late night snack. Raise head end of bed. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Walking around also helps clear gas. It could also be muscle pull that can be treated by applying local analgesic creams. It could also be costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way. Pain under right ribs with gas can be due to any inflammatory bowel disease like Celiac or Crohn’s, IBS or due to food intolerance. If all these are ruled out, then laproscopy should be done. Such an undiagnosed pain is usually due to adhesions and cutting the adhesions takes care of the pain. Pain under right rib case can also be due to pleurisy, asthma, or any other lung problems. Usually this is accompanied by lung related symptoms like breathlessness, cough etc. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!
Well now that you've pointed it out, I've been having above normal gas discomfort, but I thought it was related to the spanish cuisine.  I will definitely follow your advice and request a battery of tests.  I'll start taking Omeprazole in the mornings and the antiacid gel at bedtime to see if there's any improvements.
Thank you sooo much for the advice!!!