Cold hands, blue nails
Hi,i am 20 year old female and since about the age of 15 i have been aware of strange symptoms in my hands. Firstly they tend to be either very cold or quite sweaty. When i am warm or go from a cold to warm environment, they tend to sweat profusely. At the moment the hand i am using to type is ice cold whilst the other in my pocket is sweating. I also often have blue nail beds, this is occuring almost everyday.  I feel i do have poor circulation since my toes can sometimes go numb in winter depsite wearing 3 pairs of socks! Could poor circulation simply be the cause? Often i do not feel cold but when i touch someone they tell me i am freezing. I considered it may be due to dietary reasons as i have always been vegetarian so i have started taking iron and zinc tablets. This has been bothering me for some years and although it does not cause me great concern i am curious as to why these symptoms occur.

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!
Hello sara, do you find that your hands get like this whenever they are exosed to cold, even air conditioning?Also during a stressful situation?  I find that a common cause of this in young women is Raynaud's phenomenom. I have this disorder myself and am on medication to help with its effects. My hands and feet are both affected, they can be warm one minute and then white, to blue then firey red once my circulation returns. That part is very painful, once the blood returns to the hands or feet...they itch like mad, to the point where I would scratch them until they nearly bleed! What happens is the arterioles in the hands or feet overly constrict, preventing good bloodflow to them. Here is a link that describes this: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7DE133FF937A25751C1A96F948260
That might be worth looking into. I hope that you get answers soon...Sunny :)
Hi Sunny, this sounds very similar except there is no pain or itchiness. But yes, it does occur when stressed or exposed to cold.
Thanks!!