Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
College student sick for a long time needing help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Im a college athlete who has been feeling ill since around St. Patty's day. It started with a sore throat and swollen glands in my neck but no fever. It has progressed to a headache with severe dizziness which was thought to be a form of viral meningitis, fatigue, constant elevated liver enzymes, slight hypothyroid that I have to take synthroid for, and some joint pain. I have have seen a ENT who believed it wasnt somthing with my ears, nose, or throat, also an Endocrinologist who believed my im not truely hypothyroid. I have been tested for strep, mono, hepatitus (hepatitis), lymes, std's like clamydia (chlamydia)/gonohrea and hiv, also have had extensive liver testing with gastro. All came back negative. I have taken a z-pack which did not helpo, also levaquin which did help for a bit while i was on it. Im very frustrated and looking for a second opinion. I feel like my doctors think im crazy because i truely have not felt well in so long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds similar to my experience. I was a runner, working hard and feeling hardy. In my case, I had a surgery, but just didn't recover.  Started with overwelming fatigue(-not I've just run 2 miles fatigue), UNREASONABLE fatigue, body aches, joint pain, brain fog, lightheaded, etc. After seeing a few doctors and having many tests-mono, hepatitus (hepatitis), etc, an internist finally diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fybromialgia. I've heard of CFS starting with sore throats and swollen glands. No idea why your liver enzymes are elevated, though.
Unfortunately, CFS, to date, is a diagnosis of exclusion and some doctors don't give recognize it as a valid illness.  I wish you the best and will be watching for your posts.
o ok how long did it take for you to start feeling normal again?
I hesitate to answer your question, because unfortunately for me, I have never been able to return to my former level of activity and running is out of the question now. I have had improvement over the years, though. But I hope for you, there will be a different explanation. Just want you to keep it in the back of your mind, if everything else is excluded. Despite what some doctors believe, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is real and it is better to have a name for what ails you than to start questioning your own sanity.  I know how it feels to see all tests return normal, but feel so awful and know something is wrong. You are not crazy!  If you have any more questions for me, please ask.
Take care, Em.
thank you for your answer. I saw my doctor again and am going to be tested for CMV.
Good luck to you. Would be interested in results, if you care to share.
Take care,
Em
I live in Canada and Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is now being recognized by Drs here. There are pressure points in our body. A Rheumologist will know if you have this...if they touch you for example and press in 2 areas below your neck and above the breast area you will scream with pain like I did and that is their answer. I have no pain in that area at all but if the Specialist presses there it is intense pain. My son is a Cancer Nurse and told me 'yes those are pressure points they will touch and be able to tell if you have the disease'....Hopefully you don't but knowing is better than not knowing...I also have behcets disease a rare auto-immune disease..a disease that most US and Canadian Drs know nothing about and will tell you that...Hope this helps... lynn6189
Testing for cmv came back normal so im back to square one .. I have to go back to the doctor could it be any other infection like fungal, parasitic, sexual ... etc I have to go back to school in a few weeks and really need to try and figure this out
I don't know about fungal, parasitic, or sexual...Am trying to remember if I've been tested in those areas. Can your current doc test for these? Does your doc practise western medicine only? Some western med docs don't acknowlege syndromes, some do. You may need to see a western doc who is also a naturopath, or a naturopath alone to get a diagnosis.
If you do have CFS your diet is key, pacing yourself and perhaps an anti-depressant-not because of depression, but because it can give you some energy.
But I'm getting ahead. I realize you are trying to get answers, a diagnosis. Please keep us informed.
as of right now glands have gone down the only persistant symptoms are headache, dizziness/imbalance, dazed feeling, pressure/fullness in ears.. awaiting results of vng, vemp, and mri any ideas of what could cause such sympotms. Could it be a reaction to synthroid ?
mri, vng, vemp all came back normal
Any progress? I am sorry to hear of your troubles.
How about you? Are you doing any better?