Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Constant back of head pressure headache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Constant back of head pressure headache

For over 5 weeks I have had a headache at the back portion of my head, sometimes more on the right side than the left.  This headache feels like the type you get when you cry really hard, except much stronger.  There are no 'auras', it is not tension type pain, it feels like outward pressure.  No light or sound sensitivity other than expected with a severe headache.  Pain is much worse in morning, with day hours it dulls a bit, and starts increasing again at night.  Feels better with heat, than ice, is worse on movement, is bad enough to restrict daily functioning.  I am a steroid dependent asthmatic for 15+ years (the dependancy).  I am overweight by about 50lbs.  I also have been experiencing a bad taste in my mouth and an unusual craving for chocolate milk, something I have not drank in years.
I have not suffered from headaches my whole life (37 yr old female), until 6-7 months ago when I presented with a typical migraine with aura, light and sound sensitivity etc...at that time I had an MRI, which was found "unremarkable".  I have been placed on Epidrin and darvocet by family Dr., went to ER and they did NOTHING.  This headache came on suddenly and blindingly painful and has remained debilitating.  No one in the medical field seems terribly concerned, however it is painful and has limited my activites even further than they were already restricted.  I live in a VERY rural area, nearest neurologist is 80-90 miles away and an appointment is 2-3 months out and I am at my wits end, any suggestions would be helpful....PLEASE
Have the doctors taken a look at your blood pressure? and if it changes from sitting to standing ect?.... I have a low blood pressure issue. The change is extreme from layinging down to standing up. I have really bad headaches and pressure in the back of the head and right ear. They took my pressure in 3 diffrent positions.. laying down, sitting up and standing. They said my headaches are related to my blood pressure... not sure yet why my pressure is low when standing,(all my test have come back normal)  but at least its a start. good luck.
thank you.
Dr's have only taken BP while sitting, always in the 'normal' range, 117-122/70-80.
I randommly came on this site to trace my headaches and saw your post.  I always have blood pressure tests and are only the tiniest bit low and get the all clear.  My mum has medication for high blood pressure. My problem is that on occasion, no trigger that I know, except maybe for stress, I get an excruciating pain in the back of my head, usually on left side, stabbing and throbbing when I stand up.  it lasts for about 10 seconds and lets up once im walking around.  Then once sitting and standing again it does it.  This may last a few days or a week then its gone.  i dont really know what migrine is but my mum suffers, but I dont seem to have the same symptoms as her.  I also get the cluster headaches in my eyes, either left or right, mainly left.  I have also encountered, usually in summer when I stand up I may pass out or get headache and sometimes even faint.  I know this is going to happen at the time so I try and just squat down until the feeling passes.  If anyone else has the same problems or know what is is please make a note here.
hey get testes for spasmodtic torticolis rare nerve disorder symptomized by pressure in the back of the head. God luck.
Have you had any trauma to your neck like in a car accident? Even if not you could have a degenerating cervical (neck) disk and should have an MRI of your cervical spine and see an orthopedist to read the results. A Mine were read by radiologist and GP and they saw nothing but an orthopedist saw the degenerative disk disease.
Theres your best bet. Arthritis in neck, bony changes in cervical vertabrae in neck, degenerative disc disease at cervical spine, etc. just as posted above.