Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Constant chest pain for four weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Constant chest pain for four weeks?

Hi! I have had fairly constant chest pain for the best part of a month. It started randomly one morning, the entire right side of my chest felt like something was pushing from the inside, I would get random twinges of pain in my right shoulder blade and down my arm, and there was intermittent numbness in my right arm. For those few days, I was so tired I could barely stay awake at work, I had to sleep almost sitting up because it felt so heavy, and even the thought of eating nauseated me. Since then, I'm eating normally and am not as tired, and the pain isn't as intense as it was, but it just feels like a generalised ache under my ribs. It seems to move to different places over the course of the day .. under my armpit, up into my back, sternum etc, sometimes it's on the left side or in the centre, but I'd say on the right side at least 80% of the time. Sometimes it feels like someone is just squeezing my entire chest really hard, or down the bottom centre-right of my ribs it will feel heavy and tender for an hour or so, or sometimes it will be a stabbing, burning kind of pain in localised areas. At night when I'm trying to sleep, sometimes it will feel like my chest is so congested and heavy that I can't breathe, but whenever I cough there's nothing. Intermittently, touching anywhere on that side seems a little tender. I have had a bit of a dry cough and my throat feels sore and like there's a lot of mucus, but I haven't had much of a wet cough, and the pain isn't any worse when I breathe in (if anything, it just makes me feel like I want to cough) It doesn't really change with when I eat or drink, although if anything it seems to be a little worse at night or when I'm cold. Occasionally I feel twinges of pain or ache in my right groin area, in my lower back or in my legs, or abdominal cramps and tenderness (possibly from antibiotics, I don't know) - all of this only started when the other symptoms did, as far as I can remember.

I went to the doctor when this first started and had blood tests (fbc, kidney and liver function, thyroid), urine tests, everything came back normal, and he told me my liver wasn't enlarged. The pain didn't go away, and one night three weeks ago my entire chest felt so hot and closed up that I felt like I couldn't breathe and was losing my voice, so I went back and had a chest x-ray, which came back clear. I was given two courses of antibiotics (amoxicillin and another) and told I had a lung infection or bronchitis, but the symptoms don't really seem to be going away after nearly a month. Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to be detailed enough. It's just so weird to me that I was totally fine, then woke up one morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck, and since then the symptoms keep changing but the chest pain has just lingered. I'm planning on giving it another week or so, and then maybe going to a doctor on campus for a different opinion, since I'm pretty sure my doctor just thinks I'm a hypochondriac. Also: I'm 22, female, 5'2" 100 pounds, in otherwise good health, don't drink or smoke. Thank you in advance!
I have asthma and I get a chest pressure or chest cold feeling . so it could be asthma. asthma is also known to get worse at night but with all the other symptoms I would deffinetly get a second opinion.something has to be causing your symptoms.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If all lung and heart conditions have been ruled out and you do not have a liver or gall bladder problem then this pain in chest with dry cough could be due to duodenal ulcer with gastric reflux. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole,  lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
You should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this if these tips reduce your symptoms. You may need upper GI endoscopy for confirmation and to know the degree of damage.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Hi! I actually hadn't even thought of anything like that, never would've thought anything re: digestion/ulcers could be causing pain that was so high up in my chest and back. I looked it up out of curiosity and the symptoms seem spot on. Am going to the doctors early next week and will mention it, sincere thanks for the advice. I'll let you know :)