Cough & throat tickle that keeps coming back
Good morning.  For about the past 2 years or so I have been having this bad cough, it's a dry hacking cough and mostly occurs at night when I'm trying to go to sleep or when I'm sleeping it wakes me up.  It happens almost every night.  It starts with a tickle in the throat which makes me cough so hard I almost gag,  What is strange about this is that it only occurs on one side of my throat/nose/eyes - for example, say the tickle is on the left side of my throat.  Only my left eye will water and only my left nostril will plug up.  I've had the tickle on both the left side and right side, but never at the same time.  I went to my family doctor and she said it is allergies (I don't have any allergies) and gave me Zrtec, which didn't help at all.  She also said it could be post nasal drip.  In the meantime, I rarely get a full nights sleep because of this.  Does anyone else have this, especially being on one side of the throat?

UNBELIEVABLE - I have the same thing only it's alway on the right side of my throat and makes my right eye water like crazy.  I asked my doctor and he told me not to worry about it.   The only thing I found that helps me sleep is benedryl capsules.  I use the Walgreen generic kind.  Nice to know I'm not the only one.  Good luck.
Thanks for your comment. I am also glad to hear someone else has this too.  And I'm happy your doctor said to not worry about it.  Thanks for the tip about Benedryl!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.