Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Could my doctor be wrong??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Could my doctor be wrong??

About 2 days ago, I started feeling like I was coming down with a cold. My throat was a little irritated, but I thought nothing of it. I went to bed that night at about 9:45, and woke up at one, my throat was killing me! It was the worst sore throat I had EVER had. I stayed up the rest of the night, looking for something to help me, CRYING, wishing I could go to sleep. I never found anything but DayTime (it's like DayQuil, just cheaper) and it didn't help. My parents woke up at about 6, and I went back into their room. I told my mom that my throat was hurting really bad, and she asked me if I took anything for it. I told her I had taken DayTime but it didn't help. She gave me some NightTime, and an 800mg painkiller. It helped me, and she ended up taking me to the doctors (didn't go to school). My doctor told me I have Viral Tonsillitis, and that there was nothing he could prescribe me to help. He told me to just take some over-the-counter pain killers, 3 200mg three times a day. Tried that when the 800mg wore off. Didn't work. My throat got worse. Tried again a few hours later. Nothing. My throat, obviously, was worse than how it was that morning. I took a shower, to see if that helped, but it didn't. I laid down in my moms bed with her, and I started feeling this EXTREME pain on the left side of my throat (that's where it was hurting earlier, but this time worse) and in my ear. It was BAD. I was screaming, crying, shaking...not really something a 17 year old would do unless in extreme pain. My parents ran around the house, trying to find something to help me. I ended up having 5 numbing cough drops, which didn't do anything, and 1000mg of pain killers. My pain wasn't going away at all. My dad took me to the Emergency Room, where they stuck me on an IV, gave me strong medicine, and gave me a shot of steriods to stop my throat from swelling. The pain killer they gave me (I don't remeber what it was called) was, according to my dad, REALLY strong. It didn't help my throat much. Just a tiny little bit. The blood test didn't kno any mono..I just don't know exactly what's going on with me..I have a STRONG feeling that this is something worse than what the doctors think. Help?
Anytime you have a sore throat and it goes to the ears, it is serious.  If it is a bacteria in your throat and spreads to your ears, the next place it spreads is to the brain.  My friend's mom had strep and was on an antibiotic.  She was laying by the fireplace, when the pain went into her ears and in a few minutes she died.  The strep went to her brain.  Either it was an antibiotic resistant bacteria or the antibiotic did not work.  My daugher was diagnosed with Viral Tonsillitis and she did not get better.  We took her back in and she was diagnosed with Strep.  The first diagnosis was wrong.  Signs of strep are white spots on the tonsils, but other bacterias can cause white spots also.  Strep can be extremely painful, like a blow torch to your throat.  Hurt to breathe.  You can also throw up from Strep.  Order your medical records from the hospital to see if it was a bacteria instead of virus.  

I am having two possibilities in my mind after reading your symptoms.

Firstly,it can be a case of mononucleosis.It is a viral infection causing fevers, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands, especially in the neck. It is usually linked to the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), but can also be caused by other organisms such as cytomegalovirus (CMV).
Diagnosed by mono spot test(takes only a few minutes, and can be done in a physician's office), Epstein-Barr virus antigen by immunofluorescence and Epstein-Barr virus antibody titers.

Most patients recover within 2-4 weeks without medication. Rest, a healthy diet, plenty of fluids, limiting heavy exercise and competitive sports, and treatment of aches with acetaminophen (Tylenol, Panadol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) will help the illness pass.

Second possibility is of streptococcal sore throat.Diagnosed by rapid strep test If positive,then antibiotics are needed. Penicillin is the preferred medication. Oral penicillin must be taken for 10 days. Patients need to take the entire amount of antibiotic prescribed, even after symptoms of the sore throat improve. Stopping the antibiotic early can lead to a return of the sore throat.

Pls consult a physician/ENT specialist and get yourself evaluated as physical examination is required to make a diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.