Could prednisone cause swollen ankles? Please help!
I took prednisone for 12 days about a month and a half ago. Last week just sitting down in the evening, I noticed my ankles looked a little puffy...no pain nothing. Since that day i've noticed that when i wake up in the morning, the ankles look much skinnier. Within a half hour of waking up i think they become slightly bigger. I can't really tell if they're swollen or not but they are definitely bigger than when i first wake up. They stay big the whole day. My question is could the dose of prednisone over a month ago caused this? Should I be worried about other things like kidney issues or congestive heart failure. I'm 41, 112 pounds female. I walk about 2 miles a day first thing in the morning but do have an office job where i sit all day.

I read somewhere if you press on a swollen ankle and it leaves a dent it means its swollen, but mine doesn't leave a dent. It's more like i'm pressing on a jelly that bounces back...is it really swollen? I can't tell. Does it warrant a visit to a doctor. Every one in my family thinks i'm a hypochondriac (which i probably am) so they would not advise me to, but i feel i can't just ignore this.  Oh and i took the prednisone because of eczema on my feet and hands.

Someone's expert advise is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since there is no dent on pressure, the swollen ankles are not due to water retention. So causes related to heart, liver and kidney are ruled out. Since you noticed it after steroid, it could be exacerbation of hypothyroidism—so get the thyroid levels tested. The other possibility is rheumatoid arthritis or gout in early stage, or ligament injuries—or it could just be that you probably had water loss during the days you took prednisolone so your ankles looked thinner, and are now back to normal.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!