Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Cramp / Thigh Pain

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Cramp / Thigh Pain

A few nights ago I woke up screaming in bed with a sever cramp in my leg. I usually get small ones in my calf that go away when I stretch the muscle, relax myself, and drink water. This one was in my thigh, but on the inside part just above my knee.  I've never had a cramp there before which is a much more "tender" location. It was bad enough to wake up my wife and have her try to straighten out my leg. It lasted for at least 15 minutes maybe even a half an hour.  It finally eased off, and I drank tons of water and tried to sleep the rest of the night while it felt like it fluttering, like it could happen again. It didn't. The next day I felt like I got hit with a fastball (Im a baseball guy!) or a punch right in that spot and it hurt to flex the leg and push off like the muscle was pulled or sprained by the cramp.  Its been 3 days now and today I have pain in the middle of my thigh on the front of my leg, like in my quad, which is odd because the quad was not initially effected nor had it bothered me in the 2 days since the big cramp. I am a 30-yr-old semi-active male in relatively decent health and I would like to know if it is possible to sprain or pull several muscle groups in the leg during an event like this...or if there is something else I should be worried about? Thank you in advance for helping me with this question.
A contusion or sprain is possible.  However, you may want to look further into more serious causes.  Trauma can lead to rhabdomyloysis, which is a muscle condition that may lead to kidney damage if not appropriately treated.  Blood tests to evaluate the creatinine kinase level can be done.  

I would also obtain blood tests to exclude electrolyte abnormalities.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.  A referral to an orthopedist can also be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com