Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Curiouser and curiouser

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Curiouser and curiouser

I consider myself a sexually active individual. However, I take a lot of precautions with my partners and myself. I always make certain my partners are clean, treated, and/or have never been exposed to an STD before. I also use condoms. However, recently I have noticed some unusual spots on the shaft of my penis. I am circumcised, but on the circumcision area (not certain the technical name for it) and just below the head I noticed two large red spots on the lower part and a smaller one on the upper part of my penis.

Since this discovery, I grew worried and immediately went in for an STD test. I had the general practitioner look at the spots and she said that it doesn't look like herpes (my primary concern). The reason, she said, is because the spots are not tender and they have not formed pustules, nor are they open sores. Also, I explained to her that I have not experienced burning or tingling during urination, nor have I experienced swollen lymph nodes, fevers, aches and pains, or pain during sex and ejaculation. They were literally just two spots that were about as noticeable as a birth mark (in other words, negligible if I wasn't so neurotic or hypercritical). The GP followed her statement by telling me it looked more like mild contact dermatitis and/or a something similar to a friction burn.

Now, to follow the statement, I believe it makes sense. There was a point here recently where I was very sexually active with only one partner and, on the side, I masturbated frequently. In which case, I felt somewhat relieved, but I still got a blood and urine sample just to be sure. Following the visit to the GP, I went to a medical officer (an MD) on a military base to have it looked at as well (because this time it was free of charge and it's nice to get second opinions). He said the same thing: it appears to be a form of contact dermatitis if I am not experiencing any other symptoms besides small, pinkish-red spots that appear to be friction marks. I explained to him that I recently used a spermicide for the first time, and he replied by telling me it very well could be a mild symptom of contact dermatitis. Ultimately, both doctors told me not to be worried.

So, I stop masturbating, stop having sex for the last few days (and what a challenge that is!) and everything seems to be fine. I noticed earlier today that the red spots had a bit of dry or dead skin just lining over them. There was no pain, burning, bruising, pustules, oozing, or moisture of any kind. When I pulled it off it seemed to be the final stage in the healing process of a burn. Underneath was new skin and the read spots were almost gone.

What could this be? I was told by both MD's that if this was my first herpes outbreak that I would be experiencing very severe symptoms. However, I am also under the impression that it is likely to have very mild, almost unnoticeable symptoms for the first time. What should I do: 1) Calm down and listen to what the MD's had told me and wait for the blood tests and continue a safe, healthy sexual life; or 2) Stay calm but cease all sexual activity because it's possible to have an STD (such as herpes) with uncommon or mild symptoms?

Again, the only symptoms include:
1) Painless pinkish-red spots
2) Mildly dry skin that eventually pealed away.
1 Comment
It could also be an allergic reaction to the spermicide or even condoms. You may need to change your type of condom. But yes mild dernitis is possible because my husband has the same issue from time to time. It doesent sound like herpes. But I would at least continue to use every means of protection, if you feel the need to have sex. Condoms will protect you and your partner from stds! Just maybe try a diffrent brand or lamb skin but they dont protect form stds. I hope I have helped.