Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Cut on hand won't heal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Cut on hand won't heal

I have a cut on my hand that started life as a graize and manifested itself to a fully fledged gash on my hand.  I scraped it on a fence bolt (rusty) about 3 weeks ago and it has turned a dark red color and has scabbed over.

It has restricted the movement of my pinkie and next finger due to pain the wound is warm so i assume it's infected but i'm taking all mesures to keep it clean.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Spress97
1 Comment

Despite all measures of cleanliness and hygiene,sometimes infection of the wound can occur.Also it can be a case of cellulitis. Cellulitis is an infection of the deep subcutaneous tissue of the skin. It is characterized by redness, swelling, warmth, and pain or tenderness.Diagnosed by clinical examination and blood cultures.Treatment consists of resting the affected limb or area, cleaning the wound site if present (with debridement of dead tissue if necessary) and treatment with oral antibiotics, except in severe cases, which may require admission and intravenous (IV) therapy.

I sincerely advise you to get a blood culture done to confirm the infective agent and then start with a course of antibiotics after consulting a physician.
Also delayed wound healing is more in diabetes,obesity,malnutrition, taking corticosteroid medications prescribed for another disorder or condition, a weakened immune system and in heavy smokers.Pls check these out and get yourself evaluated for diabetes as it leads to delayed wound healing.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards.