Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
DISCONCERTING REACTION TO CORTISONE SHOT
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

DISCONCERTING REACTION TO CORTISONE SHOT

About four days ago I visited a podiatrist to have them look at one of my toes, which was painfully red and swollen around the joint, and was hindering my every stride.  The doctor gave me a shot of what they said was a mixture of cortisone, and I think something else; the difficulty being I cannot at the moment recall what the "something else" was.  Anyway, that shot was given to me at approx. 4:00 that afternoon four days ago, by the time I got home a few hours later, 7:00pm, my body was already warm to the touch, and I was already feeling fatigued, so I fell abruptly asleep, and didn't wake-up until about twelve hours later, which is highly unusual for me, as it would be for most people.  Since receiving the shot four days ago, I've been experiencing the following symptoms:  Extreme fatigue (sleeping unusually long durations..unable to stay awake and active for more than three hours at a time); severe chills (I've been wearing extra layers of clothing around the house, and using extra blankets); loss of appetite (though that now seems to be returning to me a little bit); mild fever (I don't have a thermometer but I can pretty well feel that my entire body is warm, VERY warm, to the touch; sweating during sleep (perhaps due to the extra blankets required to keep from shivering).

Is it possible I've suffered an allergic reaction to the cortisone or to the "something else" with which it was mixed?  Or is it more likely I've suffered an infection due to the injection?

I don't see anything unusual at the injection site itself, my toe.  In fact, the swelling and redness for which I received the shot in the first place seems to have decreased overall, although some swelling and redness remains.

I have no health insurance, so when I make a visit of any kind to a doctor I end up taking on the entire cost, that is why I am trying to get an idea if this might be serious enough for a visit before I actually make the visit.  

Thanks to anyone who reads, and especially to anyone who reads and replies.