Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Deteriorating Tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Deteriorating Tissue

Okay, I had what looked like a faint bruise on my leg, a light purple-ish red for a week. The size and color still have not changed (it's been five weeks), but after the first week I noticed that it had created a depression in my leg. It appears that the tissue has deteriorated under this mark. I have gone to the doctor, and she could not diagnose it. My mother and I thought it had similarities with a brown recluse bite, but nothing other than the missing tissue. No bite, no fever, nothing. Can someone please help me out?
Without the other symptoms, I don't have any idea...one idea is Staph???  Google for images of Staph infection and see what the pics look like.  This would be a fairly easy thing for docs to diagnose, I would think.  Maybe you should try a dermatologist?
If it were a spider bite, you would prob. have a series of red streaks coming out from the bite.
I was bitten by a brown recluse.  There was no bruise and no red streaks.  It started as a red inflamed spot and grew to a boil.  I am positive it was a recluse because I actually caught the sucker and took it with me.  So it doesn't sound like a spider bite to me.  The only 2 poisonous spider bites in the states are recluse and black widow.  The recluse bite is painless and the pain develops later, the widow is a painful bite.  Hope this helps.

Lisa
http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/
Try this link for pictures of different conditions. I'm sure Brown Recluse bite is probably on there too.
I get spider bites regularly in my garden. My physician says we have spiders here he calls "mini-recluse" which are not life threatening like brown recluse. We also have some kind of funnel spider: I see them all over the garden.
Usually I get 2 puncture marks which I don't notice until they get red, itchy. They last a few days then a scar forms, which eventually becomes a permanent white spot on my skin.
Here's what happens to me with the worst of the bites:
Sometimes, not always, I feel sharp quick pain
Next day area is itchy. when I scratch the area, the top layer of skin comes off like a blister. I can see 2 puncture marks
Over the next few weeks, the tissue below the bite dies and I have a deep hole.
The skin at the top seems to close up but then gets itchy and i scratch. The top layer comes off. This occurs over and over during the course of months.
Sometimes, after about 4-5 months, a tiny black speck comes to the surface from each puncture hole. Once that occurs, the area heals over within a couple weeks.
I end up with a scar and discoloration. The discoloration comes and goes for months.