Deteriorating Tissue
Okay, I had what looked like a faint bruise on my leg, a light purple-ish red for a week. The size and color still have not changed (it's been five weeks), but after the first week I noticed that it had created a depression in my leg. It appears that the tissue has deteriorated under this mark. I have gone to the doctor, and she could not diagnose it. My mother and I thought it had similarities with a brown recluse bite, but nothing other than the missing tissue. No bite, no fever, nothing. Can someone please help me out?
Without the other symptoms, I don't have any idea...one idea is Staph???  Google for images of Staph infection and see what the pics look like.  This would be a fairly easy thing for docs to diagnose, I would think.  Maybe you should try a dermatologist?
If it were a spider bite, you would prob. have a series of red streaks coming out from the bite.
I was bitten by a brown recluse.  There was no bruise and no red streaks.  It started as a red inflamed spot and grew to a boil.  I am positive it was a recluse because I actually caught the sucker and took it with me.  So it doesn't sound like a spider bite to me.  The only 2 poisonous spider bites in the states are recluse and black widow.  The recluse bite is painless and the pain develops later, the widow is a painful bite.  Hope this helps.

Lisa
http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/
Try this link for pictures of different conditions. I'm sure Brown Recluse bite is probably on there too.
I get spider bites regularly in my garden. My physician says we have spiders here he calls "mini-recluse" which are not life threatening like brown recluse. We also have some kind of funnel spider: I see them all over the garden.
Usually I get 2 puncture marks which I don't notice until they get red, itchy. They last a few days then a scar forms, which eventually becomes a permanent white spot on my skin.
Here's what happens to me with the worst of the bites:
Sometimes, not always, I feel sharp quick pain
Next day area is itchy. when I scratch the area, the top layer of skin comes off like a blister. I can see 2 puncture marks
Over the next few weeks, the tissue below the bite dies and I have a deep hole.
The skin at the top seems to close up but then gets itchy and i scratch. The top layer comes off. This occurs over and over during the course of months.
Sometimes, after about 4-5 months, a tiny black speck comes to the surface from each puncture hole. Once that occurs, the area heals over within a couple weeks.
I end up with a scar and discoloration. The discoloration comes and goes for months.