Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Dizziness After A Fall

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Dizziness After A Fall

A week ago I fell at home and hit the back of my head.  There was alot of blood but no swelling.  Because I have no insurance I didn't do anything.  About 7 hours later I threw up, but only the one time.  I am now getting dizzy when I turn my head certain ways.  My husband thinks I should see my doctor, but I really can't afford it.  I can't even find any abrasion on my head that caused the bleeding.  The spot where the bleeding occured still hurts, but there is nothing there that can be seen and no swelling.  It just feels tender and sore.  It's the dizziness that bothers me.  Should I see a doctor about this or just go to an emergency ward, or will it go away eventually?
Tags: dizziness
Just wondering why no one has replied to this.  I can't afford to see my doctor, no inusrance, so it would be nice if someone could respond.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
After a fall the dizziness could be due to internal ear problems too. However since you had an episode of vomiting followed by dizziness, there should be a strong suspicion of chronic subdural hematoma. A CT scan is definitely required. Yes, it will be a good idea to go to the ER if that is the option available to you.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have had no less than 4 major hits to my head through accidents and a husband.  When your head gets jolted, often your brain "bangs" against the skull.  It causes you to feel sick to your stomach, get dizzy easily, and forget your train of thought.  They used to call this a "concussion".  Now they don't like to use that term.  The last few times the doctor used a different term, like mild trauma to the head of something.  It is a mild concussion from what I learned growing up.  My worst one lasted nearly a month, and when my neck was strong enough that I could get to work as many hours as possible, I reviewed everything or had someone else review it to be sure I was making sense.  One thing helped GREATLY, and that was to go to a good chiropractor.  You probably threw off your vertebrae in your neck, and they can gently use machines, massage, then manipulation carefully to get it corrected.  You will probably find the headaches and dizziness will get better more quickly than if you did nothing.  Also, it helps to ice the neck and head where you fell, even weeks later.  It reduces swelling, reducing the compression on the nerves.
Doctornee, Thanks so much for your comments!  I read that you need to throw up more than once after a concussion and I only threw up the one time. The dizziness didn't actually happen until the next day.   I think the dizziness is in the inner ear because I only get the dizziness when I turn my head to the right, which is the side I hit it on.  It's not bad unless I lie down and turn my head.  I get dizzy then I feel nausus.  It's been 11 days now.  Will the dizziness go away on its own or should I see someone about it?

Reddonna, Thanks for the information on Chiropractor, but I can't afford to see one right now.  So sorry about all your head injuries.  This is my first one.  Even though there was alot of blood, I can't seem to find where the original cut was on my head and there was absolutely no swelling.  My husband tried to get me to go to ER that morning but I said no, can't afford it, so have been trying to find out what else I can do at home to make me feel better.  I appreciate your suggestions.  Thanks.  Take care.
I still haven't seen a doctor and I only get dizzy when I lay down and turn my head, but I do get headaches from time to time.  It's been two weeks since I hit my head.  I'm thinking of seeing my doctor as I don't like the dizziness.  Is there medicine to get rid of the vertigo?
I did finally go see my doctor.  He checked me out and said he didn't feel I needed a CT since it had been two weeks and I seemed okay except for the vertigo.  He said I had BBVP which can occur after a head injury and gave me some exercises to do.  I hope they work.  He told me if I get a headache to contact him.

Thanks to those that responded.