UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Dizziness and fever for 2 weeks
by ainesk, Sep 13, 2009
Ok, so I had that cold and the doctor gave me antibiotics. Right after recovering from the cold and finishing my medicines I had a cold sore and then I developed this weird dizziness that has been with me for 2 weeks now. It feels like I am riding a boat. I mostly feel it when I walk. It is very annoying, and I am not feeling well in general. I am having headaches, feeling of pressure in my head and a fever of 37 almost all the time. It doesn't go below 36.8. I had my ears checked cos the doctor said it might be inner ear infection, but everything was clear. Then I had the CT for my head and it returned fine too. I have my MRI next week. For some reason they would not want to check my blood, so I had to insist yesterday really bad to have it checked, the result will be later this week. They say most likely I have benign positional vertigo and that has nothing to do with my blood. But what about fever? Plus with vertigo, from what I read, it is supposed to be quite intense and mostly spinning, but my dizziness is more like floating and rather mild. Can it be some virus attacking some part of my body and what kind of medical check should I insist on? Also, I have mild abdominal pain, where appendicitis is. I would appreciate any advice. F. 26 y.o.
Member Comments (15)
by Bliarg, Sep 13, 2009
Honey, you have herpes (the virus that causes your cold sore) - this most likely explains it all.  

You need to see your doctor as soon as you can and get advice on managing the virus so that you have fewer and less severe outbreaks, and so that you don't infect others.  A few stats, about 80% of Americans and Australians have herpes simplex 1 (most likely the one you have) and about 20% have HSV-2 (most usually the genital type).  S/he may prescribe anti-viral medications and ask you to return when you next have a cold sore so that a swab can be tested in the lab for concrete confirmation of the HSV-1 diagnosis.  

In the meantime, when you feel ill and/or when you have a cold sore, do not kiss anyone or perform oral sex, wash your hands frequently, be very careful not to touch the sore or your saliva and then touch your eyes or other parts of your body (or anyone elses) because the virus can spread that way.

Herpes can be nasty and it is a shock to realise you have it, but actually most people do and many people pick it up when they are children.  It is a virus that enters your body through contact with a sore or saliva of an infected person by direct contact (not from say a towel, or sharing a mug or spoon).  It travels from the nerves near the site of infection into the ganglia at the base of the spine where it hides out for the rest of the person's life.  The virus hides by adding its own DNA into the nerve's DNA so that when the nerve cell copies itself, the virus is also copied.  Periodically (usually around times of stress, low health, depression) it wakes up and begins to replicate itself.  It then travels back up the nerve to the original site of infection where it may appear as a cold sore.  Along the way though, your body will fight it and hence you feel as though you have flu.  Your body may win the fight sometimes before a cold sore appears.  

The virus needs heat to replicate, so try to keep your body cool.  Consider taking anti-viral herbal remedies such as olive-leaf extract or pau d'arco (do some research before taking herbal medicines) and take good care of yourself through a healthy diet and excercise.  

You should have your eyes checked by an optometrist because is some cases the virus can be active in your eyes and cause problems.  There are anti-viral breams that should prevent you having any serious problems in your eyes, however untreated herpes eye infections can cause blindness.  Be sure to ask for a dilated pupil eye exam.  Your eye doctor will put drops in your eyes that will open your pupils and allow him/her to see if there has been any damage to the back of your eyes.  The drops wear off after a couple of hours, take dark glasses with you and maybe have a family member or friend drive you home.

It is normal to be depressed after realising you have a lifelong and socially-stigmatized infection like herpes, however you will recover and you can (you must) lead a healthy normal life.  It takes a little more thought in your day to day life, and bravery at the start of new intimate relationships, but once you get used to listening to your body you will find that you'll get fewer attacks and the people in your life are the real friends not the pretenders.

All the best and be good to yourself.
by Bliarg, Sep 13, 2009
I forgot to mention, there's a friendly and informative forum called herpesdr - google it and visit it.  You'll feel less panicky and more capable of dealing with the issue.  xx
by Bliarg, Sep 13, 2009
Sorry, I haven't slept (it's 7am now), hence typos and incomplete info.  

Don't freak yourself out that you have the rare complications that may occur with herpes.  Flu-symptoms, headache and dizziness etc can be symptoms of the plain old isolated cold-sore that you have sometimes on your face.  Just because you feel ill without a visible cold-sore doesn't mean that nasty things are happening in your eyes and brain!  Getting your eyes checked immediately and then periodically through your life is a precaution, that's all.  Don't be convinced that you'll go blind within the next 30 seconds, or that your brain is about to explode (this *almost*never* happens with herpes *evil chuckle*). You'll be fine, just get yourself checked out is all I'm saying.  x
by Bliarg, Sep 13, 2009
Me again!  your doc gave you antibiotics for a COLD?  Seriously?! Change doctors, yours is plain stupid.  Antibiotics have no effect on colds because they work on bacteria, and colds are caused by virus's.
by Bliarg, Sep 13, 2009
I didn't realise medhelp has its own herpes peer2peer section - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Herpes/show/195.  herpes dr is also good.
by ainesk, Sep 13, 2009
Hi, thanks for your reply, it's been tremendously helpful. Such a prolonged dizziness could be caused by herpes though?
Wow, but then I definitely transmitted it to my boyfriend... We had intimate contact right after my cold sore cured. The cold sore itself was already gone, but I still had that dizziness.
Also, as for the eyes, is an eye doctor supposed to know about this things? Here where I live, they seem to know so little about it...
by ainesk, Sep 14, 2009
Hi, I just got back from my gynecologist, wanted to get checked if my abdominal pain could have any connection to ovaries or hormones or any... anyways, I talked to him about herpes as well and I wanted him to give me medicines, but he would say that since the cold sore is gone, it would be ineffective to treat herpes while it doesn't seem to be present... i tried my best to persuade him but he wouldn't surrender. Instead he gave me some pills like contraception stuff cos he presumed that my dizziness comes from some hormone problems... I feel mad cos he wouldn't listen and I think pills can actually make dizziness worse... anyway he said to start taking them from the first day of my next periods and I think I should not unless I know the actual reason for this annoying dizziness by then! Thanks again for your advice.  
by Bliarg, Sep 14, 2009
Change gynos.  Because you don't have to have a cold sore to have active herpes infection and yes, can cause dizziness for up to 3 weeks.  
good luck
by ainesk, Sep 14, 2009
Thank you! Will do! It's my third week of dizziness so I hope it will be gone by the end of it! Will also take Wobenzym then, it's a strong supplement of enzymes and it says it helps body struggle with herpes. And Vitamin B then too. Thanks again for help.