Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Dizziness and fever for 2 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Dizziness and fever for 2 weeks

Ok, so I had that cold and the doctor gave me antibiotics. Right after recovering from the cold and finishing my medicines I had a cold sore and then I developed this weird dizziness that has been with me for 2 weeks now. It feels like I am riding a boat. I mostly feel it when I walk. It is very annoying, and I am not feeling well in general. I am having headaches, feeling of pressure in my head and a fever of 37 almost all the time. It doesn't go below 36.8. I had my ears checked cos the doctor said it might be inner ear infection, but everything was clear. Then I had the CT for my head and it returned fine too. I have my MRI next week. For some reason they would not want to check my blood, so I had to insist yesterday really bad to have it checked, the result will be later this week. They say most likely I have benign positional vertigo and that has nothing to do with my blood. But what about fever? Plus with vertigo, from what I read, it is supposed to be quite intense and mostly spinning, but my dizziness is more like floating and rather mild. Can it be some virus attacking some part of my body and what kind of medical check should I insist on? Also, I have mild abdominal pain, where appendicitis is. I would appreciate any advice. F. 26 y.o.
Honey, you have herpes (the virus that causes your cold sore) - this most likely explains it all.  

You need to see your doctor as soon as you can and get advice on managing the virus so that you have fewer and less severe outbreaks, and so that you don't infect others.  A few stats, about 80% of Americans and Australians have herpes simplex 1 (most likely the one you have) and about 20% have HSV-2 (most usually the genital type).  S/he may prescribe anti-viral medications and ask you to return when you next have a cold sore so that a swab can be tested in the lab for concrete confirmation of the HSV-1 diagnosis.  

In the meantime, when you feel ill and/or when you have a cold sore, do not kiss anyone or perform oral sex, wash your hands frequently, be very careful not to touch the sore or your saliva and then touch your eyes or other parts of your body (or anyone elses) because the virus can spread that way.

Herpes can be nasty and it is a shock to realise you have it, but actually most people do and many people pick it up when they are children.  It is a virus that enters your body through contact with a sore or saliva of an infected person by direct contact (not from say a towel, or sharing a mug or spoon).  It travels from the nerves near the site of infection into the ganglia at the base of the spine where it hides out for the rest of the person's life.  The virus hides by adding its own DNA into the nerve's DNA so that when the nerve cell copies itself, the virus is also copied.  Periodically (usually around times of stress, low health, depression) it wakes up and begins to replicate itself.  It then travels back up the nerve to the original site of infection where it may appear as a cold sore.  Along the way though, your body will fight it and hence you feel as though you have flu.  Your body may win the fight sometimes before a cold sore appears.  

The virus needs heat to replicate, so try to keep your body cool.  Consider taking anti-viral herbal remedies such as olive-leaf extract or pau d'arco (do some research before taking herbal medicines) and take good care of yourself through a healthy diet and excercise.  

You should have your eyes checked by an optometrist because is some cases the virus can be active in your eyes and cause problems.  There are anti-viral breams that should prevent you having any serious problems in your eyes, however untreated herpes eye infections can cause blindness.  Be sure to ask for a dilated pupil eye exam.  Your eye doctor will put drops in your eyes that will open your pupils and allow him/her to see if there has been any damage to the back of your eyes.  The drops wear off after a couple of hours, take dark glasses with you and maybe have a family member or friend drive you home.

It is normal to be depressed after realising you have a lifelong and socially-stigmatized infection like herpes, however you will recover and you can (you must) lead a healthy normal life.  It takes a little more thought in your day to day life, and bravery at the start of new intimate relationships, but once you get used to listening to your body you will find that you'll get fewer attacks and the people in your life are the real friends not the pretenders.

All the best and be good to yourself.
I forgot to mention, there's a friendly and informative forum called herpesdr - google it and visit it.  You'll feel less panicky and more capable of dealing with the issue.  xx
Sorry, I haven't slept (it's 7am now), hence typos and incomplete info.  

Don't freak yourself out that you have the rare complications that may occur with herpes.  Flu-symptoms, headache and dizziness etc can be symptoms of the plain old isolated cold-sore that you have sometimes on your face.  Just because you feel ill without a visible cold-sore doesn't mean that nasty things are happening in your eyes and brain!  Getting your eyes checked immediately and then periodically through your life is a precaution, that's all.  Don't be convinced that you'll go blind within the next 30 seconds, or that your brain is about to explode (this *almost*never* happens with herpes *evil chuckle*). You'll be fine, just get yourself checked out is all I'm saying.  x
Me again!  your doc gave you antibiotics for a COLD?  Seriously?! Change doctors, yours is plain stupid.  Antibiotics have no effect on colds because they work on bacteria, and colds are caused by virus's.
I didn't realise medhelp has its own herpes peer2peer section - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Herpes/show/195.  herpes dr is also good.
Hi, thanks for your reply, it's been tremendously helpful. Such a prolonged dizziness could be caused by herpes though?
Wow, but then I definitely transmitted it to my boyfriend... We had intimate contact right after my cold sore cured. The cold sore itself was already gone, but I still had that dizziness.
Also, as for the eyes, is an eye doctor supposed to know about this things? Here where I live, they seem to know so little about it...
Hi, I just got back from my gynecologist, wanted to get checked if my abdominal pain could have any connection to ovaries or hormones or any... anyways, I talked to him about herpes as well and I wanted him to give me medicines, but he would say that since the cold sore is gone, it would be ineffective to treat herpes while it doesn't seem to be present... i tried my best to persuade him but he wouldn't surrender. Instead he gave me some pills like contraception stuff cos he presumed that my dizziness comes from some hormone problems... I feel mad cos he wouldn't listen and I think pills can actually make dizziness worse... anyway he said to start taking them from the first day of my next periods and I think I should not unless I know the actual reason for this annoying dizziness by then! Thanks again for your advice.  
Change gynos.  Because you don't have to have a cold sore to have active herpes infection and yes, can cause dizziness for up to 3 weeks.  
good luck
Thank you! Will do! It's my third week of dizziness so I hope it will be gone by the end of it! Will also take Wobenzym then, it's a strong supplement of enzymes and it says it helps body struggle with herpes. And Vitamin B then too. Thanks again for help.
Hey, do you mind if I ask you some more?

Today my fever went up to 38 and I went to the doc and I had my MRI and my chest X-Ray and my blood test. Except for MRI, which I will know next week, evrth came back clean. Some parts about my blood test, like liver related will be also known tomorrow though.
The doc gave me antibiotics again! It's a new doc. I told him all you told me about herpes, he says it's impossible that it would be effecting me this way.
My dizziness is still with me and even getting worse... My fever went a little down now that I am home, but I start feeling very desperate... What test do I need to check if this is herpes effecting me now? Thanks a lot and sorry for the bother!!!
Welcome to the forum!
I have been reading your posts. If at all you have Herpes, blood tests, which detect antibodies to HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection, can be helpful in diagnosis, though the results are not always clear-cut. Diagnosis is generally by inspection. Also one of your doctors is right. There is no treatment that can cure Herpes. Antivirals are given only at the time of a sore to shorten its life and prevent further out breaks.
Dizziness can be due to post viral fatigue syndrome. This causes persistence of low fever with dizziness and generalized weakness. This can be treated patiently with exercise, good diet, work out plans and multivitamins. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables and proteins should be taken along with a multi vitamin supplement. Eat 5-7 small regular meals every day. Drink plenty of water. Do deep breathing exercises. Join a good trainer and start an exercise program that will help you build up stamina. Try doing an activity a day that interests you. Try to remain calm. Mild dehydration too can raise the body temperature.
You also probably have a blocked eustachean tube. Try these simple things. They may help. Take steam twice a day. Do valsalva maneuver (done by taking a deep breath and blowing while pinching your nostrils and closing your mouth). This will open up the eustachean tubes connecting the ear with mouth cavity and equalize the pressure there. Repeat this 3-4 times. Do this twice a day. Gargle with warm saline water twice a day.
Consult an internal medicine specialist if these tips do not help.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

thanks a lot for your comment.
I am not really getting better yet.
In the mornings I generally do not have fever, but starting from the afternoon it goes up to 37.1 which is not that high (normal should be 36.6), but sometimes it would go as high as 37.9. Dizziness, something like light seasickness also continues. When I am at work, it's very tough, I feel like someone is pushing be into my back and then pulling me back and this is uncontrollable. I started thinking, what if it is some allergy or hormones? My cold was cured in the end of August, is it really possible to have such a long post-viral fatigue? I took Meiact during my cold, antibiotics prescribed by the doctor. Also, before my cold I used to go to the gym several times a week and spend lots of time outdoors, I am a very healthy person, but ever since the beginning of September I feel totally broken. Thanks.
Hi again,

just got back from my doc.
All my basic blood tests are fine.

He said it might be some EB virus though and that it will cure by itself...

Pure speculation I guess...
Sorry to know that ur suffering till now! I have the same problem with fatigue and constant nausea!

How r u feeling now?
Just wanted to let you know what's going on.
My fever is gone, but dizziness still with me.
I am finally getting hospitalized tomorrow to get massive anti-virus and immune treatments.
My diagnosis is some sort of a neuro infection caused by a virus, though nothing showed up in MRI, I feel like I am drugged and everyday life has been a torture during this month.
Even though they confirmed this virus might be herpes, it is very confusing as I do not have any symptoms now and when I do they are usually rather mild. But I did learn a lot about herpes in this 2 months and apparently it can cause all sorts of neurological comlications like meningitis and the like.
I just really really hope I did not pass it to my dear boyfriend. He seems totally fine but who knows when and how this will show. I will make sure I will get some aciclovir medicines for him too just for prevention...
Thx a lot for your help.