Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Dizziness when eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Dizziness when eating

Whenever I start to chew the first one or two bites of food, I experience a sense of dizziness.  The room around me doesn't spin, but it kind of feels like I'm spinning inside my head.  It goes away after 2-5 seconds, and usually happens only once during the meal, with the first bite or two.  I can be eating soft or hard foods, doesn't matter.  I can hold my head still or look down at my plate and it doesn't matter.  I don't feel it any other time at all, only when I chew something.  I don't have any other symptoms.  I'm not on any type of medications.  I had a stapedectomy 2 years ago to correct hearing in my right ear.  I just had a balance testing done because I am planning on having a stapedectomy in my left ear now to correct that hearing, and the balance testing came back perfectly normal.  I can't find anything on the web about this, other people that experience it, or what might be causing it.  Any suggestions?

-JAH
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I'm wondering if you could have a food allergy like Celiac Disease? Does it occur when you eat wheat or gluten? Or it could be TMJ...do you have problems with your jaw? I've heard of that causing dizziness before. It might also be caused by your ears.
In my opinion, vascular abnormality could be a reason for your symptoms. Subclavian steal syndrome is a example. A patient may feel dizziness( decreased blood flow of vertebral artery) while he moving his arm( need more blood).
Maybe similar mechanism occurs while chewing foods.
dreemilyn-
As far as I know, I have no known allergies of any kind.  This occurs when I eat foods from any of the food groups (including chocolate!)  ;) so I don't think it's related to a particular type of food or ingredient.  I don't have any pain in my jaw so my ear doctor said he didn't think it was TMJ.  He also didn't think it was caused by loose crystals or stones in my ears either, since it doesn't happen every time I tip my head down or to the side, and I can be holding my head perfectly still and still have it happen.  Thank you for your suggestions tho!

1286K-
Thanks for this idea too.  I will mention it to my doctor and see what kind of testing can be done to check for it.

-JAH
does it happen when you chew gum?
I really don't know as I rarely chew gum.  I'll test it out tho and get back to you!  :)
Nope, it doesn't seem to happen while I'm chewing gum... wierd......
I have the same symptoms.  It just happend a few minutes ago and I googled the web and your blog came up.  The dizziness just began within the past 4 months.  I do not get dizzy at the beginning of every meal; but I would guess over 75% of them lately.  I'll start trying to track when it happens.  It only happens when I take the first few bites too.
I have the same symptoms......Only on the first bite of food and happens about 90% of the time. Happens at all meals/snacks and is very frustrating. I havent gone to the doctor because I figure he will not be able to tell me anything seeing as this is a wierd problem. I will make an appointment, but I dont expect answers. Either way it is good to see others with this problem.
Just to add to above.....I am 26 years old. Figured we could get a reference to ages this is afflicting.
Thanks for your input and sorry I've forgotten to check back in until now.  This is wierd, but I haven't had any dizziness since I posted back in July now.  I did become pg in July, so I'm wondering if I changed habits or something due to that, maybe?  I'm glad I haven't had anymore dizziness, of course, but I really wish I could figure out what was causing it, especially since now I know I'm not the only one it affects.  Hopefully it'll stay gone...?  I'm 41, for the age reference, too.  Feel free to keep this post going - hopefully someone will come up with an answer for all of us!  I'll check back later.....
Weird.  This happens to me too.  But it only happens after a night of drinking.  My first few bites of food, I get really dizzy for a few seconds.
I have the same issue. I'm a 23 year old female. No significant health issues, not on any meds, average health. And it is only in the first few bites of food. And happens almost instantaneously when the food touches my mouth in the first bite. Sometimes, but pretty rarely, I have vertigo, a few times so severe it knocks me right out of my chair if I'm sitting (completely still) or to the ground if I'm standing or walking. But its rare enough it certainly hasn't been a concern of mine. This issue just started about 6 months ago for me though. And I have not found any answers either, it's frustrating.
I am a 29 yr old female and have been experiencing the same symptoms as the above. Mine started about three days ago and it has gotten to be very bothersome. I feel general weakness and tiredness. Any noise is bothersome and irritating. I had an ear infection about 2 months ago, and took the antibiotics for it. The dizziness is usually constant but is worse as soon as I start eating. I went to the doctor yesterday but she doesn't seem to find a problem. If anyone has any kind of information please let me know.
I have exactly the same, started in the last few months. I am 37. My doctor ran blood tests and there was nothing abnormal. The only thing she could suggest was stress, as work is busy and we are about to move house and country. Seems to be getting worse though, Happens with the first sip of alcoholic drink too sometimes.
I'm a 25 yr old female and the same thing has been happening to me for over a year now. It started only after I would work out and then eat but now it happens even if I haven't just worked out. Its only the first few bites as well. I have never asked the dr about it and I just started looking on the internet to try to figure it ou.
I can't believe that I found this blog!  I am a 51 year old female and I have had the same exact syptoms (symptoms) for about 8 months now.  And, as the others have posted, I only have this slight dizziness or lightheadedness when I eat the first few bites...it goes away before I finish swallowing maybe the second bite.  It is the weirdest thing!  I am going to my doctor next Friday, September 5th, 2008 and I will ask her of this symptom.  I'll post the answer to my questions after (and IF) I get them.

I asked a massage therapist if she has heard of anyone ever complaining of this symptom and she had never, but she mentioned that it might be a nerve of some kind that is located in the back of the throat and the food entering the esophagus, may trigger the symptoms.  But I think (if I can remember correctly) that as soon as I take a bite and before I swallow is the time that the first dizziness is felt.  I'll have to test it at lunchtime!  :-)
I feel better for reading this - i have exactly the same symptoms and have had for a couple of years.   I have also had a double stapedectomy so i suspect this must be a clue to it.  have been through various tests with no resolution so am living with it for now.  the intensity varies as well - right now its quite severe after several months not really noticing it.  if it is to do with the stapedectomy, however, the joy of having my hearing restored far outweighs the inconvenience for me.  hope yours was successful.

hfs
I have never had a stapedectomy, nor anything done to my ears.  My doctor was stumped when I told her of my symptoms.  She recommended that I see a neurologist, since she agreed with me that it could not be due to anything internal because the food has not had a chance to digest yet when I feel the symptoms.  I don't know when I'm going to see the neurologist, but will follow up here when completed.
I too have been getting dizzy in my head when I first start to eat.  I'm a 27yr old female with no known health problems or anything going on with my ears, although now that I think of it my hearing could be better...  It started maybe 3 months ago.  It always goes away after the 1st couple bites, but now its happening more and more often so I decided to look it up.  I've been thinking its more like a chemical response...like something in my body triggering the dizziness at the thought of getting food.  Does that make sense??  And more importantly how can I stop it from happening?!?!  Pls comment back!
The only thing with it being a chemical response is that the food does not have the chance to go into the bloodstream with the 1st and 2nd bites.  I don't think it would have time to even think about going into your blood to cause a chemical reaction.  One thing that I have been doing is keeping track when it happens and with what kind of foods.  Some days, it does not seem to happen at all, but other days, it happens every time I eat.  I take supplements by swallowing, but it does not happen then; nor with gum.  I am otherwise very healthy, but need to lose about 30-40 pounds.  My appointment with a neurologist is on October 14...I will post more then.
I am a 46 year old male and have begun to experience this exact same thing. Dizziness on first bite, goes away.  Occurring more frequently lately.  Has anyone found a solution?
OK...
I went to the neurologist and she found nothing wrong with me, nor has she heard of anyone else having that symptom.  She recommended that I write down EVERYTHING that I eat, since it could have something to do with what I ate previously as well.  She also stated that since I have no other major symptoms, that I should not worry about it and if it does not go away, to come back and see her in 6 months.  She DID confirm that I had TMJ syndrome, but I do not have much pain at all with it (someone told me that dizziness is one symptom of TMJ Syndrome).  So the mystery continues to be unresolved.  I'm back at square one asking you all if you have had any other diagnoses?
I've have the exact same issue for a couple months.  "head rush" upon the 1st couple bites of food about 60-70% of the time, occasionally happening upon subsequent bites during a meal.  I'm 45 and male.  I just had minor dental work and dentist says I grind my teeth (never knew), but doubts TMJ due to no other symptoms.  Let's all share the answers if and when we get them.  Dentist recommended checking blood pressure and inner ear.
I am a 29 yr old female and I am so shocked to run across this. My dizzy spells are now completely taking over my life. I am in a spinning time bomb whenever I eat and completely feel like I am gonna pass out. I have been to dr after dr and can not get any answers. This has been an ongoing problem for me about 7 yrs.
could be the hormones in the foods that triger the head rush, out of balance, diziness. I think it has to do with the food itself and any chemicals it has in it. try eating vegetables for a week and see if that helps. avoid sugars, because that sometimes aggrivates it. avoid eggs, milk, meats and other animal derived foods. let me know if that helps. God bless you!
Some of the symptoms described sounds like a vasovagal reaction which is mediated by the vagus nerve (a nerve which does many things including slowing the heart rate down.)  The vagus nerve also contributes to a network of nerves surrounding the esophagus (the muscular tube carrying food from the mouth to the stomach.)  After taking a bite of food the vagus nerve can be stimulated by expansion of the esophagus to let food pass through causing the heart rate to slow down and light headedness results.  If fainting results this condition is known as deglutition syncope which translated means swallow fainting. I read in a paper once in which the authors referred to this as a “Vaso-Bagel” reaction because a large bolus (bite) of firm food such as a bagel is a common problem for people suffering from deglutition syncope.  For some people cold or carbonated drinks can also cause lightheadedness or fainting.  I hope this helps.
other causes could be: certain yeasts reacting with sugars giving diabetic like symptoms and headaches. another cause could be cabon monoxide poisoning from propane/ stove causing headache, vertigo, and diziness. God bless you!
   I have noticed the same symptoms for about 3 months now.  My problem isn't as severe as "manandwife" who says this is taking over her life, but it is a little annoying.  I feel a "blacking out" type of dizziness only after my first bite of food.  I goes away after just a couple seconds.  I'm a 43 year old male.
   I think Asclepio is on to something.  It makes sense that this is a vasovagal response to expanding of the esophagus as food passes by.  It would be interesting to accurately measure the pulse or better yet, get hooked up to a monitor to analyze the heart rhythm while taking the first bite of food.
   If anyone has this kind of equipment, this would be an interesting expirement.

RobEMT
I, too, have had the dizziness feeling, off and on, for about 8 months now. I am a 52-year-old female, with no known allergies or any health conditions, and on no medications. My symptoms are mild, but I wanted to see if it was an early indicator of a disease or condition which would require action. Interesting that so many doctors are not aware of this, yet there seem to be enough of us experiencing it. We should all make sure we report this to our medical professionals during a regular visit.
Ditto for me, a 36-year-old woman. I'm about 20 pounds overweight but am fit (ran a marathon in 08). It seems to me that when I'm extra hungry, it's more severe, which has made me think it's connected to blood sugar or something. I'm going to start monitoring more closely when it happens and what I'm eating. I'd say it's about half the time. I'm interested in the nerve theory. Let's everybody keep posting til we figure something out!
hi! it's a big relief for me to know that i'm not alone in feeling dizzy while eating. I am 30 yrs. old, female had experiencing dizziness for a couple of years now, though in an on and off manner. just last night while i am eating, i just had this dizziness feeling and i feel like i'll gonna pass out... i had been analyzing the foods that i eat and come into conclusion that foods that are sour, salty or vinegar triggers my dizzy spells... it really bothers me because when i have this, i don't want too much noise, or any disturbances because i easily feel irritated... any comments?
Has anyone found any solution to this?  

I'm a 37 year old female who is experiencing this as well.  Unfortunately, my dizziness will last after a meal sometimes 2 hours.  All blood tests are normal.  I'm worried my doctor will think I'm a hypochondriac because I keep telling him about it and he can't find anything wrong.

Thanks.
I am so glad that I am not alone...I thought I was going crazy for a minute. I asked my doctor and she first thought it could be diabetes. She took test and they came out negative. She suggested eating more protein..about six times a day and it still happened. She can not explain why it is happening and does have any other suggestions. I have had this condition now for the past year. It happens a few times a week when taking the first couple of bites. Yesterday was the worst, it felt like the room was spinning....I hope we can find out why this is happening. I am 37 and female.
I also have this problem.  I cannot believe so many people can have the same symptoms and no one *really* know what causes it.  I don't seem to have it as severe as many of you.  I have had it off and on for 2 years or so but it seems to occur randomly - sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month.  The syptoms (symptoms) are dizziness right at the first bite, practically as it hits the tongue, for 2-5 seconds.  As another poster mentioned, I have wondered whether this is due to some sugar imbalance and some physical or chemical response happens in anticipation of the food.  Another idea I have had regarding this is dehydration.  I say this because my body rarely gets thirsty so I often forget to drink and as a result my body is constantly dehydrated.  And as another poster mentioned, I don't believe I had these symptoms when I was pregnant.  But of course I was making sure to drink a lot of water then for my developing baby.  

Oh and I am a 34 year old female...
Yikes, I haven't checked back in almost a year now and was I ever suprised at the number of replies and people that have the same symptoms since then!  I hadn't checked back because it seems like it has gone away since my last post, I've only had a handful of episodes since then, I think.  I haven't changed anything in my diet/exercise/health as far as I know that could have caused it to stop except that I was pg with 2nd child Aug 08 - April 09 and I don't recall ever feeling it then.  I'm going to print out all these replys and show my doctor next time I go in, whenever that may be, because she couldn't find anything wrong with me at the time either.  I really wish all the rest of you luck too, and I hope mine doesn't come back either!  LOL  I'll keep in touch on here periodically to see how everyone is doing.  Best wishes!

JAH (now a 42 yr old female)
I just thought of something else too.  My daughter just joined gymnastics last month and last weekend she was practicing her sommersaults at home and asked me to do one too.  I did one, and as I was rolling up, I felt EXTREMELY dizzy for about 5 (long) seconds or so.  I tried another one and felt the exact same way.  I asked my husband if he felt that when he did one but he said no.  It was so extreme I almost felt nauteous from it.  The last time I've done a sommersault was probably 30 years ago, if not longer, so I have no idea if this is something that could have just started recently or if I would have felt this way back in 07 when I was experiencing the dizziness when chewing too.  Hmm.  I hope I didn't "dislodge" something upstairs so that the chewing dizziness will come back now!  LOL  Maybe you all should try a sommersault and see what happens with you too?  Let me know what happens if you do!  
what helped your chewing dizziness?
I honestly don't know, it went away on its own.  I didn't change any lifestyle habits that I'm aware of, and I haven't been diagnosed with anything else, like diabetes, etc.
I think mine was stress.  I told my doctor about this page and he said he'd never heard of anything like this.  He gave me Xanax for stress.

What's interesting is that I have not taken one pill yet.....and all of my symptoms went away.  Don't know if having that prescription there "just in case" did the trick or what.
I'm a 39 year old female.  My dizziness started after we bought our boat.  Thought it was just me trying to get my land legs back.  Continued having eating episodes in the fall.  Dr. gave me pills for Meuniere's.  I don't think so!  Finally stopped over the winter, however had an episode a few days ago.  Funny thing is that when my brain was sloshing around in my head, I noticed that my kids normal table talk was suddenly very irritating and loud.  Sat on the couch to relax a few minutes then resumed eating normally.  Did some web surfing and came across "Mal de Debarquement" which translated means disembarkment sickness.  Some women (mostly) report getting it after cruises or plane trips.  Can be debilitating and long lasting. I wonder why mostly women are reporting this?  Interesting to see a few males posting comments too. The summersault comment got me thinking.  I remember doing them all the time as a kid without any problems.  When my daughter was a toddler (about 12 years ago) I tried doing some with her and was very nauseous and dizzy.  I've noticed over the years that I can't tolerate rollercoasters either (I used to LIVE on them!!!)  Spring is around the corner and the boat is coming out again.  I'm a bit worried.  I'll let you all know what happens.  
I thought of something else wierd too... whenever I push on the ear that I had the stapedectomy done in -- like when you plug your ear so that you can't hear anything (but not putting my finger 'inside' the ear) -- when I take my finger away from my ear I get a quick dizzy sensation too!  But I think it only has happened with the ear that I had surgery in.  How wierd is that!
Wow. I have been suffering through this problem for a little over a year. I actually advised my doctor of this problem. She told me to try the other side of my mouth. I have not been back to her since. I am going on 50 years old. I was 148.8 lb 6 months ago and was a size 12. I am now 115 lb and a size 4. I have stopped eating all sweets. I try and eat all healthy foods, fruits, veggies, fish, basically everything that is good. I also workout every morning and have built up a small six pack. My point with all of this is I STILL HAVE THIS SYMPTOM AND IT IS GETTING WORSE. Has anyone found anything new and concrete?
I've experienced the same symptoms. Within a couple fo seconds of taking a bite out of any kind of food (also noticed when sipping wine) I get a quick dizzy spell that is annoying as ****.  Then it goes away. I'm a 39 year old female in excellent health and this has been going on for at least the past 6-months. I eat well and work-out regularly. I did go on a cruise last January and last year sometime as well. But I use to work on a ship and get underway regularly over the course of 18 months about 10 years but just started to experience it now. Glad to hear that I'm not alone.
Hi All, the boat's still not on the water yet.  Just got back from a 4 day business trip to Boston.  (1.5 hour flight)  I have to say that I was afraid of this trip.  My only issue on the plane was excruciating pain in both ears for about 10 minutes half way thru the flight.  Was fine the rest of the trip and in Boston. Plane ride back was a bit better. Was a bit foggy-headed for a few days when I got back and was worried so I rested a lot to keep myself from jarring my head around.  I thought I was going to have an episode during dinner last night but it went away just as it was about to start.  I was already half way thru dinner though when I got the faint sensation.  Sometimes I feel like I have to watch my every step and carefully eat and chew so as not to disturb the "sleeping giant" or something.  
I am a 46 yr old female and had this same problem for about a year, can only think it is psychosamatic as it happens too quickly after having put food into my mouth, but the cause is still a mystery, only just started to try and find a reason because its livable with, was just worried it was related to poor circulation somehow, anyway will keep you posted if i find anything
Glad to see I'm not crazy! Just started this dizzy thing , occurs almost as soon as the bite of food does. Seeing doctor this week but after reading this I'm not hopeful he'll have the answer. Anyone think it might be hormone related or due to too much stress? I don't get it on the weekends when I stay home from work...
I am 34 and had this dizziness for about 6 weeks now and I came to realize today, that it usually happens when I'm almost done eating.  It would happen as a child when eating sausage, especiall from McDonald's.  Most recently, I felt dizziness on back to back weeks and when looking up (at taller people or screens).  I came to realize that it happens almost as I'm done eating.  Feel faint.  I went to see a doctor and she told me she couldn't find anything neurological but wanted to run some blood samples.  I haven't returned but need to get in there.  This is happening more frequently, I'm afraid of taking long trips and being exposed to the sun too long.  It happened to me twice while driving.  I wasnt' drinking water nor having breakfast.  I've been having breakfast and drinking water now and have felt better, but it happened again today 6/15/09.  I'm also not doing any exercise and need to start losing some weight.  I'm at 188 lbs and 5'6".
This happens to me all the time. I start eating then nearly black-out, and it is frequent but not every single time I eat. When I get drive-thru McDonalds and eat whilst driving, this has almost caused me to black-out behind the wheel before - so a tip - do not eat and drive if you have this condition! Wish I knew what caused it - I've lived with it for years and years. By the way, I'm a healthy, active 33-year-old female with no history of any medical problems.
I also have had these symptoms for about 6 weeks. I notice it particularly in the early evening. It lasts while I'm chewing and is especially bad when things are crunchy. I think it might be stress related as we recently relocated and had a very long complicated house sale. We are also buying a new house which needs alot of renovating and are currently living with 2 small children in a 2 bed apartment. I started a new job last Sept. I am also incredibly tired most of the time. Seems like a stressful situation to me!! If anyone gets a diagnosis, I would be interested to hear, but I'm glad I found this discussion cos I was sure I was imagining it!!
I have recently noticed the same thing - slight dizziness as soon as I start eating but gone in a few seconds. I'm a 48 year old male and in pretty good physical shape though I haven't been getting enough sleep recently. I'm surprised to see so many others with the same symptoms. Must go to bed now. Please post any successes or doctors comments if you get any.  
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Dizziness could be due to acid reflux. The reverse flow of contents of the stomach cause a series of neurochemical transmissions, which cause dizziness. It is also related to changing pressure in the cochlear canals of the ear during this process. Normal GERD will not cause dizziness if under control. However a person with severe uncontrolled acidity or when such a person is hungry or his stomach is empty except for the acid, he may feel dizzy. Also presence of an ulcer in the stomach or weak esophageal sphincter can complicate matter. I would recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system).
The second possibility is that you have a TMJ disorder that precipitates dizziness once you start chewing. This is most likely cause.
Many patients with TMJ have dizziness. There are two possible causes. One is that when TMJ is inflamed inner ear is affected causing dizziness. The second possible cause is inflammation of the sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) involved in TMJ and chewing.
Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
This makes complete sense to me!  When I posted on August 28, 2008, I was experiencing this almost every time that I ate.  But for the past six months, I have been limiting my fat, sugar and fried foods because I also suffer from heartburn and I have noticed that I do not have as many episodes of dizziness while eating.  In fact, it has almost disappeared!  I also have a slight jaw problem, clicking when chewing, so that may also contribute to the problem.  

Thank you for your last post, Dizturbed!
Thank you for your comments. However, I don't think my symptoms fit the two possibilities you mentioned. I didn't make it clear in my post but they dizziness starts when a fork or spoon of food gets close to my lips but before any food enters my mouth and therefore before any chewing takes place (so not the TMJ option).  Also, it only happens a that precise moment and not before so it is unlikely to be the hunger option as that would suggest dizziness before the spoonful of food approaches the mouth.

One thing I did wonder about though was the possibility of it being related to the smell of the food, because as the food approaches the mouth, it is directly under the nose.  

One other observation is that, as far as I can recall, it only happens with hot food.

And for some reason I haven't experienced the sensation for about a week (lucky me). I'm not sure why that is, but I have slept more this week. Related? I don't know.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Yes, now that you have described things well, it does look like that you have sensitivity to some food smells and more so with hot ones as the vapor carries the aroma faster to your nostrils. You could get food allergy tests done for confirmed diagnosis. Yes, sleep helps as allergies etc are more prominently felt by a fatigued body.
The other possibility is that you have a slight astigmatisim in your vision, which is that you have a slight axis, hence the effort to focus on the food, fork, spoon etc results in dizziness. Please get an eye checkup done too.
I, too, have similar symptoms.
It usually only lasts a few seconds and happens about 60% of the time... as far as i know, it happens with all types of food.
I notice it particularly when I am eating yoghurts at work (no chewing required).
This has been happening for the past couple of months... I haven't mentioned it to the doctor, but did wonder if it was sugar-related.
I have recently had my blood pressure taken and that was normal.
Also, I have noticed this when I have been drinking... even drinking water can trigger it.

I had a contraceptive implant, and wondered if that had anything to do with it.

I'm a 25yo female.

Just interesting to see what everyone else says.
I am 44, male, run 3-4 times a week, 5' 9", 173.  It is the first bite, sometimes through the second bite.  I hear a pounding in my left ear, too, or a rushing, popping noise.  I thought my heart was starting to race because my tongue detected sugar (bread of a sandwich, pretzel, potatoes, etc.)  It just started with drinks recently, even though I drink diet soda.  Does not happen with water, have not noticed with wine.  I have started making sure I eat a few bites before I drive now.  Any new answers out there?
Welcome to the forum!
Please read my earlier post. I’ll copy paste it again for your reference. Please see if this helps.
Hope this helps. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for responding!  It sounds like a symptom of TMJ.  I clench my jaw sometimes during the day if I have had too much caffeine and am concentrating on email or mental projects.  Thinking back on it, the first-bite-dizziness had gone away for a while and that was when I was down to only one cup of coffee a day.  
I just got back from a high mileage business trip and consumed way more caffeine than normal.  The intensity of the dizziness correlates to the caffeine intake and the mental concentration of driving over 2000 miles, in 3 days, while on a strict time-line.  I was probably clenching my teeth the whole way and did not know it.
Thanks again for the feedback.  Maybe some of the folks on this log are clenching and don't know it.  I have never had any jaw pain, so it did not make sense to me that it could be TMJ.  I'm going to cut out the Diet Dews and monitor my clenching.  If that does not help, I'll go see a doctor.  Either way, I'll log back in.
I am a 29 year old female and these symptoms happen to me about 5 times a week now. I get dizzy after the first few bites of food and then it goes away. It's very annoying and scary not knowing why this is happening. I have had my sugar, blood pressure, heart, brain and other things checked with it all coming back normal.  I have ear problems but I can't see how that is linked to eating everyday. It doesn't matter what I eat it happens all the time. Has anyone gotten any answers yet?
I hope I have good news for at least one of you...

I have also been suffering from your symptoms for the past few months.  After just a few bites of food, I would feel like the room was spinning.  After a few months, it then got worse and I started to feel dizzy during the whole meal.  The blood tests run by different doctors all came out normal.  Finally...I had a doctor ask me if I had any silver fillings on my teeth.  Actually, I do!  The doctor said that was my problem.  She diagnosed me with mercury poisoning from the silver caps.  Of course, the mercury from these silvers fillings do not affect everyone in the same way.  But the doctor did explain to me, that there is a point in the life of the filling, where it starts chipping away faster and faster.  (They are probably about to fall)  Every time I chew, it stimulates the mercury and toxins are released and inhaled into my body!  WTH?!  You all may have known just how harmful these fillings are, but I had no idea.  I got them when I was a child and never thought anything of them.  

So let me ask you a question...do you have any silver (mercury) fillings?  

FYI...my dr has me on a detox program with all sorts of vitamins.  She gave me a list of foods to stay away from, such as foods with mercury (Chinese, fish, etc) because these foods are poison to people like me.  Once I have less mercury exposure in my system, I can then see a dentist about replacing the mercury fillings with white compound fillings.  

I am so glad to find this page! My doctor had no idea what I was talking about when I described the symptoms practically identical to almost all the posts above. I believe the fillings diagnosis sounds the most likely for me!

My details:

- Late 20s male.
- Exercise regularily (2-4 times/4-8 hours a week), good diet & mid-range healthy BMI.
- Not stressed.
- Some food allergies and hayfever.
- I have fillings (they are metal but I'm not sure if they are silver/mercury)
- Generally no fatigue/lack of sleep.
- No blood, gastro or neurological issues known.
- No stapedectomy.

Description of Symptions:
- On first and possibly second bite of food.
- Happens roughly 50% of the time.
- Occurs with hot, cold and dry foods (just happened with cashews nuts).
- Occurs only after biting and not before first bite.
- Dizziness/head spin is extreme but never lasts for more than 5-10 seconds.
- From memory has happened with rice, pasta, sandwhiches, nuts, lollies, (not chewing gum if I recall correctly).
- Has been occuring for roughly 2-3 years

I will go to my doctor and my dentist and post my results.

Thanks again.
I have the dizziness (female, 43, overweight, high bp, high cholesterol) but no fillings, so I think the vaso-bagel reaction is my self-diagnosis....LOL!
Male, 56.
Dizzy around the time of the first bite. Occurs infrequently.
I occasionally have acid reflux.
I believe I have some silver/mercury fillings.
I think it tends to occur mainly when, I haven't eaten for a while, or I "feel" hungry, even though maybe I shouldn't. And I think I'm usually "anticipating" the meal - hungry, and the food is sitting in front of me, but I delay actually eating because I'm busy (Darn computer!).
The frequency has not increased over the years.
I have slightly low blood pressure.
I don't have any of the more extreme symptoms - heart rate/pumping, sounds, extreme dizzyness, long dizzyness, almost blacking out, etc.
I have diagnosed anemia, which I take iron pills for.

I think many of the diagnosis do not fit the "typical" symptoms. For most (but certainly not all) the dizzyness is _only_ on the first bite or two. It does not occur during the whole meal. (Although for some, it sounds like it's getting worse, lasting longer than the first bite).
I therefore think TMZ is not a diagnosis - it should last the whole meal shouldn't it?
I think allergies is unlikely - again the symptoms would last longer, I think.
Same for silver fillings.
I don't think it's the content of the food, and probably not the aroma. Food content does not take affect on the first bite. And I would think the aroma would last the whole meal - although maybe the "impact" of the first aroma sensation could be a stimulus . . . In my case, I've been smelling the food for a while, so I don't think first aroma impact is a factor for me.
I notice most of the reporters are female. I don't know if this is factor, or if simply more females have looked for and found this thread . . .
For me, I don't think the anemia is a factor, it seems to happen even when I've been taking my iron pills. And I don't think the timing is a factor - I take the iron pills after eating.

And thanks to everyone who has contributed! :-)
It further occurs to me that it could be similar to how people can have stomach acid starting to flow due to anticipating food or thinking about food, without actually eating yet. This seems to be a unconscious physical response to a psychological stimulus.
I'm thinking that adrenaline can cause a burst of energy. And that's due to psychological causes.
So, could there be there something similar where the psychological stimulus of finally starting to eat cause a unconscious physical response, that results in a "burst" of dizzyness?
Can a burst of insulin cause dizzyness? That's really what worried me - if it _is_ insulin, could this be a precursor symptom of a type of diabetes?
Wow... this is cool- like many of you. I found this post by doing a search. I was surprised to find so many of you with my exact same symptoms, but sad to see no answers.

I am 35 years old and this have been going on for almost 5 years with only two brief periods of no symptoms...my two pregnancies. There have been times that I have developed severe vertigo and had to go on meds (Antivert) to function on a daily basis, but I don't think the episodes are related to what I experience when I eat.

My main symptom is really just a minor "bother", but I am fearful it is leading me into anorexia-like stage. Two bites into my lunch, I get so dizzy that I almost black out DAILY. It is almost 95% at lunch time and any mid-day snacks about 30% at dinner. I usually have to grab the table in fear of falling, so in lunch meetings I just have water to try to avoid the awkwardness. This can be hot or cold, sugar or greens, any "food" it doesn't matter (proven via diet journal)... it has not occured with gum, but it ALWAYS happens with random pieces of candy- if I sneak one during the day. I have late onset diabetes in my family (grandfather, aunts, and mom was just diagnosed at 51) so I always assumed this was possibly related, but doctors don't agree.

The spells are getting more serious and I am starting skip meals. I like being down to my pre-pregnancy weight of 140 but I am fearful I may have a little anorexia setting it. Last week a new symptom set in, I feel very lethargic and sick to my stomach after eating at all, so now I just plain hate to eat all together.

I was tested for everything and so far no answers. My doctor thinks I am a hypochondriac and my insurance is starting to question my claims. I have been tested for:

* Blood tests- all normal
* Gall bladder disease (ultrasounds)
* Heart functions (I now have a murmur- that wasn't detectable before)
* CT scans of my head (chronic Sinus infections)
* Upper GI (GERD negative)
* Eye exams (which they did find "possible" pre-glaucoma pressures so now I have to get exams every 6 months).
* no TMJ...just a little night grinding per the dentist (FYI... all my fillings have been changed out as well).
* Trial tested with anti-anxiety meds, but they had no effect

If anyone has anything else they suggests please let me know... this is really wearing me down. Doctor has called it "stress" for lack of a better diagnosis.
even i feel the same during first couple of bites of every meal..no matter what meal it is but everytime during first few bites i feel dizziness.. i never expect there might be others too experiencing something similar!!
I m a 41 year old female and I also have the same symptons but they have become to be bothersome all day long even when i'm cooking. its was getting worse and still isnt gone completely but I take 2tsp of raw apple cider vinegar 3 times a day and it really does help. i hope that you all will try  this and see how it works... please let me know if you find something else
A related discussion, Dizzy on First Bite was started.
Thank you for your suggestions.  I am a 49 year old female who has had this problem for awhile now.  Recently it has become very annoying.  Everytime I eat anything I become so dizzy.  It now last for the whole meal.  I have been having trouble swallowing and have had consistant heartburn for months now.  I think maybe it could be a acid reflux problem.  I should be getting medical insurance soon so I will be going to the doctor to discuss this problem.  Thank you for your suggestions.
I am a 52 year old woman who has suffered with this off and on for several years.  I have had allergies and thought it might be sinus related, but it's those first bites....chewing motion that seems to make me feel like I'm going to pass out!  No pain, the room just seems to swim...I too grab the table.   I am obese with high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes..but it is not about the chemical content of the food.   Thanks for all the posts....I logged on because I just had a serious episode and it frustrates me.
I am 32 y/o and was diagnosed with vasovagal syncope by my cardiologist in November 2009.  I, too, experience dizziness when I eat.  I decided to do some more research and found a lot of helpful information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_episode.  I also experience a lot of the other stuff mentioned there like defecation syncope or dizziness after having a bowel movement or sometimes even after urinating, which by the way, I found really weird before I knew about this vasovagal syncope.  I've fainted several times in my life and it's almost like a normal thing for me already.  I decided to see a doctor, though, when I fainted in the bathroom last year but that time it was different...I also couldn't breathe.  I thought I was having a heart attack!  A 2D echo confirmed that I have mitral valve prolapse, a kind of heart disease which could also trigger vasovagal syncope attacks.  You may want to check out the site mentioned above.  Hope it helps.  Take care!  
...I apologize for the duplicate post.  My computer's not very cooperative today.  =)
Well, I was very surprised to see all of the posts reporting the dizzy, lightheaded upon first bite.  I, too, thought I was alone as my doctor has not expressed concern.   After reading the posts, it appears that no one still seems to realize why this happens.   I am 59, female, overweight, but working on walking with Leslie Sansone tapes 1-2 miles everyday trying hard to reduce weight.  Take meds for high cholestrol and high blood pressure both of which have been decreased.   Also, had stapendectomy during teen years, both ears; but now wear two hearing aids as too much scar tissue was an issue to go back in and redo stapendectomy.   So, same symptoms, some different health issues; but what's the answer?   Will bookmark this forum to continue reading.   At least I feel that I am not totally crazy as I have all you guys with me!!!!!   surose
I recently suffered from a cold which seem to last a couple of weeks, followed by Swine Flu (confirmed by test) which lasted another two weeks before that started to ease off.

I developed a dizziness when eating during or just after the Swine Flu which started to concern me initially. I noticed it wasn't always strictly during eating but it was by far the worst during eating - I guess because your heart rate and consequently blood pressure increase do assist with digestion.

Having done some investigation, I stumbled on this thread.

I am by no means an expert but I think there might be more than one cause to dizziness when eating for all of you guys.

In my case, I think this is caused by an infection in a part of one or both ears.

There are a number of small bones in the ear which are very sensitive and it takes very little to knock your balance out. Sinuses too can be a pain - especially after a virus etc.

I thought I would post up as even if what has helped me helps just one of you, it would have been worth it.

I found using Menthol crystals helped enormously, and whilst I do still get the dizziness occasionaly, I guess this is because the infection has not cleared yet - but things are improving.

I am from the UK, so I am not sure if you get these in the US (I guess that is where some or all of you are from), but you normally get them in a small container.

You only need a few of these in a small bowl of very warm water (just off boil) and they take some getting used to as they are very strong and you might have to add some distance between you and what you are sniffing, but these do loosen any material blocking your sinuses etc. and you will find you will start to be able to blow your nose more often.

I had noticed some slight sinus pain as well and I am also planning on using a spray called Vicks Soother (contains oxy-something as the active ingredient) to see if this helps - but out of stock at the moment and cannot get it.

I do this morning and evening, for about 10-15 minutes at a time, and I found not only was more material being purged from my sinuses etc., but the dizziness was reduced and stopped occurring when I ate.

I still get a slight dizziness but it is much better and seems to be improving by the day (less and less). I've never experienced it before although I did experience a vasovagal episode (not syncope) half way through last year after being stung by a wasp - however, we are some way beyond that so I am confident this isn't the cause for me.

Good luck with your respective situations as it is very furstrating and concerning when you don't know what it is.

Should this prove not to fix the issue in my case, I will post up any findings from any subsequent investigations I have.

Let me know if you try this and it helps or even solves it!

Best regards,

John.
i am sensative to my sugars but i have noticed the last few days that i have increased my cake and bikkie eationg that i have noticed the head rushes more and same just starting to eat,Im curious does anyone have a sore or infected tooth as i have and normally when i get them fixed i dont suffer much of anything, i also suffer panic attacks and i think that elevates the dizziness, i also have neck and shoulder injuries
Could be Postprandial hypotension which is is an excessive decrease in blood pressure that occurs after a meal.

Someone who mentioned the Vagus nerve is spot on.
The vagus nerve is responsible for so much in the autonomic nervous system in the human body.

I have neuroborrelios (neurological lyme disease)--
an infectious disease that commonly impairs vagus nerve function.
The vagus nerve is involved in autonomic nervous system disorders.

Neuro-lyme > vagus nerve > dysautonomias

and

Postprandial hypotension is one of them:

Features of postprandial hypotension:

Dizziness, light-headedness (at/after meal)
Doctors measure blood pressure before and after a meal to diagnose postprandial hypertension.
Eating small, low-carbohydrate meals frequently may help.
I'm a 61 yr old male and have experienced the symptoms of dizziness and a pulling to the left for about 20 years.  It only occurs once or twice a year.  When it happens I am unable to walk.  Last year I had to crawl to the bathroom because I became nauseous.  It most often occurs when I taste something sweet, it can be artificial sweetener or sugar, most often when I drink a carbonated beverage.  The feeling is immediate and often begins before I can swallow.  Last July was the worst I have ever had it.  It lasted for 2 days while I had been taking Typhoid vaccine.  It just occurred again this past week while I was recovering from a cold.  This was the first time it happened while I was actively driving a car.  It was pretty scary.    
Hi Everyone.

I am a 46 yr old male and have experienced the same dizzy...almost euphoric feeling...right at first moments of eating. This has been going on for about the past 21 months. I noticed that it correlates with the time I started to run and change diet habits. Went from about 180 to 160 pounds over this time. Feel very fit, but the lightheadedness at the beginning of eating and drinking (around 50% of the time) is a concern. At first I though it was not getting enough calories for the extra activity and change in diet, but altering this doesn't do much to change the frequency of spells. I am interested in the possibility of the fillings. I have a few metal fillings still, but don't know if there is any mercury content in them. Also the vasovagal discussion has been compelling, and I'm going to look further into that. I must admit I am consoled in seeing that there are others reporting the same events, but am also disappointed that there has been few answers generated. Let's hope that we get some people reporting positive outcomes following doctor visits.
Ok, just played around with this issue doing a search that I quite honestly did not think I'd find any answers.  To know that I'm not crazy and not the only one experiencing this annoying problem is a relief.  I started noticing mine when I went to bite into a banana moonpie. It was actually before I bit down all the way that I started to feel lightheaded and dizzy, but more once did bite down.  I notice it more with sweet things like that and cookies (my favorite snack), so this I'm really not happy.  I'm 41 and I have TMJ and have since I was about 13, so to think that that may be causing some of this wouldn't surprise me and would make me a bit more relieved to blame this on something. I could see it as stress or depression too because those usually trigger something in us when we try to ignore and not deal with things in our lives. I haven't gone to the doctor and from some of the comments, glad I haven't, but I will mention it to mine and my dentist to see what they think, especially since this blog has been going on since 2007 and mine just started this year 2010 within the last couple months.  some study has to be being done somewhere. Something is wrong, be it one of the things mentioned so far or something totally not thought of yet.  I pray definite answers come for us soon.
I forgot to mention that the only thing I changed in the last couple months is I started taking a liquid softgel multi-vitamin for women by Nature Made.  Anyone else taking a vitamin for women, the same one maybe???

I am just copying and pasting some information I found on-line at http://www.stars.org.uk/patient-info/conditions/syncope
The information on the vagus nerve that someone mentioned earlier is also discussed on that site.
Syncope usually involves a loss of consciousness, but you can have pre-syncope episodes, where you just get dizzy, lightheaded.  The symptoms of any type of syncope tend to fluctuate over time, and are worse when you are stressed.  You probably don't have a problem with gum because nothing is going down your esophogus or having to be digested.  There is information on treatment at the stars site.

Postprandial Syncope:
Postprandial syncope simply means ‘after a meal’. In some people, eating will cause a fall in blood pressure after finishing a meal. Postprandial Hypotension occurs due to the inability of the nervous system to adjust for the concentration of blood around the digestive organs after a meal. Symptoms of Postural Hypotension may be subtle with a slight dizziness or weakness when standing after eating. If syncope occurs after a meal it is advised to eat small regular meals and avoid large carbohydrate meals. Sitting with legs slightly raised after a meal will also avoid blood pooling in the legs and increase blood pressure.

Swallow Syncope:
Swallow Syncope is rare. Patients who have Swallow Syncope may experience a drop in blood pressure and lowered heart rate in response to the action of hot food/fluids passing from the throat to the stomach. The autonomic nervous system is not able to compensate for this increase in pressure, which decreases the flow of blood to the heart.

This is all very interesting...  I thought I was overly aware of my body noticing
this slight dizziness with first bite...but apparently others have exactly the same and yes, that is somewhat comforting. I can't remember how long this has been happening to me but I have become more aware of it in the last year or so.

I am 41y/o female, thin, healthy, blood tests all good, don't drink or smoke, etc etc...    makes you think you're going kinda crazy huh?!

Other things worth mentioning:

I had all my metal fillings replaced several years ago (for those of you who wondered if that might be the cause)  so I don't think this could be it...

I am also sensitive to sugar...over indulged as a younger person...so sometimes I wonder if it is related to blood sugar levels which are easily effected by many different types of food...  but my blood sugar levels are all within normal limits.   ???

ummm....I don't have any allergies or sinus problems so don't think it's that...
as far as TMJ disease....I have never been diagnosed with this , and I wear a night guard that stops me from clenching... sooo  ???

I do have a weird phenomenon with my ears....I can "open" or "close" them by sniffing or yawning....most of the time I keep them "closed" because everything is too loud otherwise.   (I know it's so weird, huh?!)

Oh yeah!  and the other thing worth mentioning is that my blood pressure runs quite low!  Today I had a doc. appt and it was 96/48 !!!  The nurse was like " that's good"   And I was like "No!  It's terrible...I have No energy!" but
I think that's a whole other problem...  

Seriously guys,  I'm not crazy .... just trying to keep it light.  :)

I hope we get some answers....but at the very least we are not alone!

Take care of yourselves and God bless!

My husband has suffered for years from fainting spells or dizzy spells when he eats or drinks. Please ask your doctor for an ECG and eat some food or drink some cold liquid while you are on the ECG recorder. When my husband Bob finally got this test, it was very clear: His heart stopped for about 3 seconds, triggered by swallowing. He had a pacemaker implanted, and, like magic, the symptoms have disappeared!
I have had dizziness after I eat for 3 months.  Well, not so much dizziness as extreme weakness.  It seems to happen after I eat sugar.  Also, I have had some bloating/fatigue for over a year which seems to be related to eating gluten.  The symptoms lessen or disappear when I avoid sugar and gluten.  I have had other weird symptoms, but those are the main ones.  I am a 42 year old female diagnosed with hypothyroidism 8 years ago which has been stable for 7 years.  

I don't know why I have suddenly developed these food allergies (or "sensitivities").  Have talked to several docs, none of whom seem very concerned.  All blood tests have been normal except thyroid which has been slightly going up so they adjusted my meds recently.  I bought a blood sugar testing kit and took my own blood sugar just in case and it has been normal (my mother has diabetes).  Also have had problems with sore muscles in my neck and back for a couple of years.  Don't know if it's related.

Anyway, it's important I find out what the underlying cause is because I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life avoiding gluten and sugar (I know, wah wah wah, complain complain).  I've thought and thought and gone over in my head what it could be - the H1N1 shot I had in February?  the high tension wires I live near?  my hair dye?  silver fillings in my teeth?  Anyway, I went to 2 dentists about 3 years ago.  One said "your silver fillings are fine."  The other said "we need to replace your silver fillings - they are old and it looks like there could be infection under the fillings."  I ignored the second dentist's opinion for 3 years but with all these wacky symptoms I decided to go back to him and have the silver fillings replaced.  I have 9 silver fillings plus a cap over a root canal.  In two days I am going to have my first 3 silver fillings replaced.  I asked the dentist if he would put composite fillings in instead of the silver ones.  He thinks it is possible my symptoms are caused by the fillings.  We are going to work on one quadrant at a time.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Well, it is comforting to read I am not alone in this!  I have suffered from dizziness (sometimes quite severe) after the first bite/swallow (not every time, though) for as long as I can remember and the talk of synocope is very interesting.  I was diagnosed as having Long QT Syndrome after two sudden deaths in our family and I have LQT1 & LQT2 gene.  "Pastorswife" and "Dizzylady2" make me wonder if this is a heart-related issue, as I am also reasonably slim, have very low blood pressure, combined with the syndrome I mentioned, which can involve sudden black outs (although I am fortunate enough not to have blacked out). I am a 47 year old female and now take a precautionary Beta Blocker as the LQT is still rather an unknown syndrome, unfortunately.  I am from New Zealand (not that it would make a difference - just thought I'd share that one!).

I would say it is highly unlikely it is an allergy thing, as it is too instantaneous.

I will e-mail my Cardiologist and see what he thinks.

Good luck to you all and thank you so much for your comments.

I've found this post very interesting, and yet gives me no real answers either.   I've had this lightheaded/dizziness for approximately 6 years.   At first it only happened when I ate salsa from my favorite mexican restaurant.  That probably lasted about 2 years every time I ate there, I had to have the salsa and chips appetizer.   The dizziness only lasted a few seconds after the first few bites, once it was gone the rest of the meal went fine and still I ate more salsa.   I figured I had an allergy to something in the salsa.   I learned how to make my own salsa and again it happened.   I thought it was the jalepenos.   As time went on, I found any hot sauces caused the same problem.   Store bought salsas, home made salsas, chinese hot mustard, wasabi, cajun spices, spicy hot wings.  Anything with any type of hot spice to it could cause my short term dizziness.  And always with the first couple bites.   I've noticed recently its starting to happen with other foods.    Twice I've noticed it with the first 2 bites of a Granny Smith apple.   A french bread pizza.    

So I once thought it was a hot spicy allergy, has moved on now to other foods.   I don't have TMJ, I've always had a habit of grinding my jaw (nervous habit which has been life long).  The thought of silver filings is interesting, but why does it mostly happen with spicy foods?   For years I had low blood pressures and have had episodes recently of borderline hypertension.    About 8 years ago my immune system attacked my thyroid causing it to be hyper, which there is no treatment for other than thyroid removal or thyroid I-131 treatment which radiates and kills the thyroid and makes you lifetime hypothyroid, needing thyroid replacement.   I can't see that connection as many of you have not mentioned that problem.   I've never been nauseated with the dizziness and it only lasts seconds at the very beginning of the of those mentioned foods.  

I am 49, fairly healthy and about 30 lbs overweight.   I've been through exercise & weight loss periods, inactivity.   None of which seems to change any of the dizziness.  

I work with doctors and when I've mentioned it in conversations they've all said it sounded very odd.  I have a physical scheduled in a few weeks and plan to bring it up.   But I'm sure I won't get any answers either.   I figure if it's an allergy, and as long as I don't have serious symptoms such as hives, or swelling of my mouth and throat, and it's a fairly minor inconvenience I won't worry too much.   But I hope someday to get some answers.  
I am overwhelmed at all the people having these symptoms.  I am a healthy male, 39 years old, and have been experiencing these symptoms for a few years now.  My Dentist and my Doctor have no clue what could be causing this.  I am going to tell my doctor about the silver fillings because I too have some from when I was a teenager.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
Hi, I'm also very glad to have found this site.  I have experienced this dizziness upon eating the first couple of bits for a month or so now.

I have an overactive thyroid and am on PTU for it.  I've just had a scan and it appears that I have Graves Disease, rathern than nodules, so will probably be continuing on the current drug regime.

Does anyone else who experiences the dizziness have a thyroid problem?

I'm another one.  It started about 2-3 years ago and has been intermittent.  I asked my NP about it and she had no ideas.  I'm a 43 year old female, I'm about 25 pounds overweight but very active.  Some past health issues and I am treated for acid reflux, though that began many many years before the light headed thing.  No TMJ and the fillings thing sounds rather bogus to me.  I will do some more research on the deglutition syncope since it sounds like a possibility in my case.  I get a light headed, almost giddy, feeling either just before I eat or right as i eat the first bite.  It is very short-lived and I don't black-out.
I hope my comments help all who have posted. I began to experience the same problem about 4 months ago, and I believe the current condition I have is the culprit.
I came down with Bell's Palsy second to a viral ear infection about 6 months ago. My hearing was affected as well as my taste on one side of my tongue. The Bell's Palsy set in about a month later and I had complete one-sided facial paralysis. A month after that, while still afflicted with Bell's Palsy this dizziness when first sitting to eat began.
Since my condition involves the facial nerve where it enters the face through a small hole by my temple called a "foramen" the pieces started to come together. Because the facial nerve runs right by the eustacian tube in the ear it makes sense that this could be fall out from my condition, as the inner ear is responsible for balance and "vertigo" like symptoms when affected, particulary when the facial nerve is involved.
So for me, it's the Bell's Palsy and it's indirect affect on my inner ear because my facial nerve is sending bad information to my ear, perhaps triggered by taste or chewing. For others, I suspect that either an ear infection exists affecting the facial nerve or TMJ is involved, as the act of chewing will have an affect on the pressure changes in the eustacian tube. People who have diffulty equalizing pressure in there ear may be more susceptible in conjunction with even mild TMJ.
There are forms of facial neuropathy which can cause symptoms such as this, but the diagnosis will be obscure and difficult at best.
Bottom line? Get your ears checked for infection, and not bacterial as viral infections are far more insidious, have a specialist check for TMJ, clean your ears regularly with solution, not Q-tips. Watch for symptoms of facial neuropathy such as funny taste on one side of your tongue, variances in hearing in one ear, pain in the ear, pain in the jaw (TMJ). Check your face to see if the muscles respond the same on both sides of your face. If not, then perhaps the facial nerve is affected due to partial infection.
The one thing i can tell you is this, if you think you will find the answer by going to a neurologist i would recommend you by a lottery ticket instead. Neurologists look for and care about the big problems, not obscure, non-acute symptoms such as these. and that's just my opinion of course.
If i had to hang my hat on what the predominant culprit is for most people, i would say it's the facial nerve
im a 20year old female, slim build and i only get dizzy when i eat a wopper (fast food burger)...i first noticed it a couple of days after i fell down a flight of stairs and fractured my skull...it wasnt just woppers then it was all food but that went away and now its just that delicious burger that i'd rather not give up...and the occasional kebab on a big night out lol
i'm 27 male, i've same problem for last 2 years and i also feel pain on my left side near heart.. i showed up to many doctors heart sergons as well and they find nothing.. all of my tests are OK no diabatic... my doctors say its because of stress.. pain on left side too.. btw i'll admit that i take stress! it started happening when my father had a sever heart attack and i was really shocked and depressed at that time, live with him in hospital for almost one month and ate nothing! one of the doctor suggested me two medicines 1. Mosegar V (Pizotifen + Vitamin B Complex) syrup and 2. Motival (fluphenazine HCL + nortriptyline HCL) tablet, when i take combination of two daily, i feel OK means then i can eat a LITTLE otherwise i cant take more then 2,3 bites of meal :( .. this made me really weak and doctors cant diagnose anything!!!
I suspect this is inflamed sinuses. SINUS PRESSURE can cause this- That is why when people have a sinus infection their teeth can hurt. The sinuses are RIGHT above the teeth. I experience this too and only at certain times. It is maddening- I also had a pituitary adenoma- don't know if that is connected- but it is FALL and the leave mold and allergies are running amuck. Hope this helps someone. I've had a sinus headache today I've noticed.
Wow, so glad I came across this forum. I have had the same symptoms for about almost 2 years now. I'm now 32, female. The first time I had it was when I was really hungry and had a bite of Thai food. I felt like that sensation you get when you're a kid and spin around in circles really fast then all of sudden stop and your head still keeps spinning for a while. I'm Thai and have been eating Thai food my whole life so that can't be it.

It happens to me only about 30% of the time and typically I notice it when I'm very hungry. But still often enough and strong enough to freak me out a little bit. I sometimes don't have the chance to swallow before it happens. It's just the sensation of food in my mouth. Thought it was perhaps my brain getting so excited to have food!

My other issues are: I have TMJ in my right jaw, I'm allergic to mold and therefore have sinus issues, I also have low blood pressure so this causes me to get a little light headed sometimes. However, the light headedness from standing up too quickly or low blood sugar is very different from this kind of dizziness.

Is it part psychological i.e. the idea of getting food? Or is it triggered by a physical aspect? It seems we all have different issues surrounding it.

Ive been getting split second blackouts when i eat for 15 years. im 100% healthy otherwise. im taking anemia tests and want an epilepsy test for petit mal..i think heat triggers it...when u eat your temperature changes...also when im in a hot room i feel similarly light headed. its like a head rush..a wave comes over me and everything goes black for split seconds. i can have it a few times a day or not at all. stress seems to trigger it too. the jaw clenching idea is interesting..im getting jaw surgery soon for an open bite. jaw clenching may happen when were streess and when we eat...i wish i knew the answer its not nice these black outs!!!
by the way...i sleep near a gas boiler...but the fact remains i get blackouts when i eat so it cant be related to the gas boiler!!
anemia. not enough blood store. so when you eat, blood goes to your stomach and then this compromises an already bad situation as their is not enough to go to your brain.

this also happens in high temperatures. a lot of blood moves to the surface of the skin so as to dissipate the extra heat out of your body. well when you have low blood stores, this can compromise the supply to your head. so you pass out in heat.

also try to get checked for candida albicans. this common intestinal fungi is the major cause of anemia, especially in growing adults.
I had the same problem many of you discribed. I found some information at www.****.com about dizziness when eating. It said that acid reflux could be the cause. I had noticed that I occasionally had heartburn and acid indigeston so thought I would give taking an acid reducer a shot. It Worked!  I no longer get dizzy when eating and now I can recognize the signs of when it is beginning (for me it was chest pains and the feeling of there being a lump in my throat). I would be interested in knowing if an acid reducer helps any of you. I take a 20mg tablet of famotidine - over the counter.  Hope this helps!
Does anyone else who suffers this affliction also suffer from tinnitus?

I read on another site a description of symptoms and they are almost identical to mine although more severe:

http://forum.asktheneurologist.com/vertigo-and-dizziness-f16/vertigo-tinnitis-t169.html

I wonder if anyone else also suffers from these other symptoms?
The other symptoms are:

- constant 24/7 tinnitus (high pitched whining sound) in both ears (I would describe mine more like a ringing sound);
- general vertigo (unless lying down);
- fatigue;
- nausea (even when laying down);
- feeling of lump/ball in esophagus/throat;
- insomnia;
- vertigo with first couple of bites of food/drink (everytime eating);
- brain fog (feel like thinking is like slogging through thick mud; hard to come up with words);
- trouble understanding people speaking

It seems like they are related. These symptoms are pretty extreme. I can live with all of them since they're not too debilitating at the moment except for the "brain fog" which affects my work.
It's interesting to come back to this thread after 18 months. Plenty more sufferers but still no clear cause for it.

I've read most of the later posts and I'd like to add a comment. I tend to agree with the posters who think there's more than one possible cause. My symptoms are mild compared with those of other people. In my case I can dismiss many/most of the possible causes put forward by others. I'm not saying they can't cause the same thing for others, but definitely not for me.

I have noted some similarities with some posters. Several people say they are active and many are in their forties. Me too. One other thing I have noted for me is that often when I get dizzy, it is when I have spicy food, though I often pass spicy food being prepared and it doesn't affect me.

Multi-vitamins have been mentioned. I take those; sometimes often, sometimes infrequently and sometimes not for months. One more thing that I found interesting was the reference to sinuses. I occasionally have blocked sinuses that I think are caused by hay fever. At this point I can't link that (or multi-vitamins) to dizziness but I thought I'd add it in case it chimes with anybody else.  
I'm a 53 yr old female, and the same dizzy sensations when I take my first bite of food, or a drink of any beverage.  The sensations is like a swooning effect that lasts for seconds and is gone.  Sometimes it is light and other times really throws off my sense of balance, but doesn't last long.  I have been through various testing for balance, exams with the ear specialist, neurologist-brain scan, MEI, MRI, etc.  Nobody has an answer and even my ear/eye/nose specialist says he is stumped.  So I just decided to live with it until I decided to put it out there and see if others experience it.  So surprised to see so many do.  I have read all the possible suggestions and it is a negative for me.  I don't have any food allergies, don't eat spicy food, and am very big on natural vitamins and foods.  I exercise daily and am in fairly good health otherwise.  I tested things like milk and other dairy products, wheat, etc. However, I do have titnitus also, and hearing loss (I wear aids).  So, if anyone has come up with something that hasn't already been mentioned since the blogs dating back to 2007.  I would be happy to investigate their suggestion.....thanks all
Hello everyone!  I posted my first post back on August 28, 2008, having the same syptoms (symptoms) as many of you.  I had been to a couple of doctors, but to no avail.  I am now 54, still a little overweight, but working on it.  Since then, I have been "eating clean" (google if you wanna know more) and exercising (but not as much as I should) and have lost 15 pounds.  I rarely, if ever, have dizziness after my first few bites/drinks anymore.  And unless I eat greasy or fried foods, I never have acid reflux.  But...I still have TMJ syndrome.  

Don't know if that means anything to anyone, but just wanted y'all to know!  :-)
I have been experiencing this symptom for over 17 years.  I first noticed it while drinking a can of Sprite.  It seems to happen only when I am eating carbs, but sometimes anything.  I am hypoglycemic and have studied up a bit on its symptoms.  I seem to remember reading about an over sensitive pancreas that can react as soon as food enters the mouth.  Somehow, the pancreas thinks it needs to produce insulin in anticipation to the incoming carbs.  I will look for a source on this.  Google for “insulin rush” and see if the symptoms are not the same.  Remember what you read may not talk about an immediate, momentary symptoms because they are not aware of the anticipating pancreas.  This is a combination of mental and chemical.  The mind or something in the mouth tells the pancreas, “Start producing insulin, the food is coming.”  What I read said that even diet sodas can cause this because the pancreas “thinks” it is sugar.  
i get the same problem. Mine started about four months ago after i had my 2nd baby. I thought it was something to do with that. I dont like wasting doctors time so i always google evrything first and this blog came up. Not sure if i should go now...
I am 42 and have been suffering from headaches and dizziness with heart palpitations for a couple yrs. now. I have been through just about every test and specialist, and think I may go broke trying to get to the bottom of this lol. I am always a little dizzy (light headed) but some times it is worse than others and some times I get stuck in cycles of 4-10 weeks where it just won't go away. Funny you said salsa and chips as I do see a spike when I eat that. I have been tested for food allergies and have none!(?) I seem to be worse with dizziness/lightheadedness when I eat, and when there are lighting changes and heavy patterns or movements. This is what makes it so interesting with me. I have both the eating and the optical component. Possibly two seperate issues, or one big underlying problem leading to it all? Anyway, just thought it interesting you mentioned salsa and chips. Good luck with your situation!
This just started happening to me. I've had a few concussions in the past years, and I thought maybe it was related.
I'm 40, 5'6, 140lbs, in pretty good shape otherwise.
I'm in the same boat! This started for me about 3 months ago. 31 male, 6' 185lbs super great shape. I'm very active, I as well have a few concussions under my belt. Never had any food allergy, never took any meds other than for common colds. I refuse flu shots and such excess "drugs/vaccines".
With in the first two, three bites I can barely see I get that dizzy, feeling faint. Is it a sociological sense of eating food my body gets overly excited? I eat all types of food. I'm not a vegetarian. I love all types of meats n vegs.
I cannot tell you how relieved i am to have found you all.  I've had this for years and felt silly every time i've mentioned it to the doc as no one can explain it.
i am now 41 but have had this for quite a few years (maybe 6-7 years!). Does not happen all the time but enough for me to be concerned.  i feel like i get a head rush that can last from a couple seconds to a couple minutes.  its never the first meal of the day.  I always thought that it was a "food high".  like my body was excited to have food after a long wait.
>    i have had a double stapedectomy, once on one side and twice on the other but still wear an aid (the Lyric, its awesome!) on one side.
>    the dizziness is after the 1-2 bites and its all types of food and fruit and usually at lunch time.  not w/ drinks though.  
>     not a big sugar eater---actually quite a healthy diet,
>     Haven't had meat for the past year which incidentally led to anemia.  but remember i've had this quite a while so not sure how relevant this is
>    also i do have metal fillings.
>    no allergies
Please keep posting and keep asking the docs.
i think we can all help contribute to an answer.  
Im 24 and I have had this since I was a kid. I dont really get dizzy, but I get a Shock through my mouth when the first piece of food enters my mouth. Even before I take a bite, tis wave goes through my cheek and last 1 or 2 seconds, then goes away. If I move the food to the other side of my mouth, it does the same thing. This only happens on the first bite of food of the day and happens almost every day. Its like I have to prepare myself for it. I get a spoon of food and stick it in and just wait for the wave to pass.
Ive never asked my dr about it. Ive though it was cavities or something but I have never had a cavity.
I had the same problem....get dizzy some seconds when swallowing the first meal..this is going on for almost 2years... 33 years old female....in the same time i experienced these..im mostly tired,sleepy,and weak...i had silver teeth filling too since 2006....
hoping i will find out more answer too and the cure for this problem..
will check here later to find out.
I am a 37 female. Cycle everyday/active, no other health problems, no fillings, healthy diet - mostly fish/veg with some red meat, correct weight, pulse,sugar levels etc. Had an ear operation to replace the styrup in my right ear in 2008. For the past year I have been experiencing intense dizzy spells even before food is brought to my mouth and even get it when a plate of food put in front of me???? Therefore I thought it was antisipation of eating - although I eat regularly so not sure why my body would crave the next meal. I have a twin sister who hasn't experienced this (we usually get the same symptons - she too had an ear problem but on the left side.) Was getting rather worried about this but feel better now it seems lots of people get it and no serious problems have been reported! :o)
SAME SYMPTOMS : feeling dizzy upon first few bites of food for 1-5 seconds about 50% of my meals.
28 yr old male
healthy and in shape, exercise regularly
No food allergies
No medications

It started a little over a month ago.

I'm thinking it may be psychosomatic and linked to stress...but acid reflux and/or metal fillings could be the culprit in my case. It was happening daily for the first week  and then I did the following things which noticeably reduced the amount of times it has been happening:
stopped drinking coffee (from 2-3 cups a day to zero a day - started drinking tea instead)
cut down on wheat gluten intake
cut down on sugar intake
started stretching/meditating in the morning
started chewing my food very slowly.

Now it only happens about 40-50% of the time....down from about 90%....

so who knows....i just thought id toss my story out there.  

Has anyone here had an ultra-sound done of their pancreas due to these symptoms?
Has anyone been diagnoses with arthritus in the spine and neck?
I also has the same symptoms for 3 and half years, iam a lecturer when i speak one hour also i get dizzy,but i get rid of the symptoms by doing yoga...and simple exercise......in the morning.and drinking honey at bed time.
Drink lot of fruit juices by skiping meals atleast 1 day
Avoid the following
meats,groundnut oil,fatty foods,spicy foods

I have thse same symptoms. for like 2 months now.  I get dizzy for like the first couple of bites when i start to eat.
Hello to all - I find this forum very interesting.  I've had these symptoms for several years.  Nothing so serious that I would bring it up in a medical visit, but occasionally (maybe 50% of the time) get a dizzy feeling in the first few bites of food.  I also am prone to vaso vagal fainting spells if I stand up too quickly.  Have only fully passed out twice in 4 years...Otherwise I am a healthy 35 year old female.  Once I brought it up with my physician and she was also stumped and not worried.  I do have very tight neck and upper back muscles and maybe that has a part in it..?  Glad to know I am not alone in this bothersome symptom.  

It doesn't seem that there aren't many answers out there, but relationship to vasovagal conditions would be my guess.
i am so glad that I am not crazy and that there is so many people like me. I too get dizzy when eating my first or second bite. It does not happen very often, but when it does it is terrifying. I have noticed that the 5 times it has happened, I was in a hurry and it was the first meal I had eaten that day. When it happens I feel like I am just a milisecond from actually passing out and my hands feel tingley like when you have had a very scary, full adrenalin moment, and then I feel flushed. When I feel this coming on I will continue to chew and not swallow and this seems to help. If I am drinking, usually a coke, I will not swallow and just swish it in my mouth until the feeling passes. Someone mentioned heart palpatations and I have those on a regular basis. Never linked the two together. I do have hypothyroid. Would be interested if all this is linked to that.
I've been noticing I'm having similar symptoms for about two weeks..... I think I first noticed it about two weeks ago I would have one beer and after my first sip I would automatically start to feel extremely tired, lightheaded, and dizzy... Then I started to notice it with food too... I would eat a handful of popcorn and I would instantly be tired and dizzy... Thought the first few bites are the most intense moments of the dizziness mine seems to last within 3-5 minutes of me eating... it seems to take a while for it to wear off... Also sometimes I start to feel nauseous and even start to burp like acid and feel as if I could throw up... It's really starting to get on my nerves because I could be starving and craving something and as soon as I take a bite I immediately feel completely wiped out and sick..
I have recently started to have this problem. As soon as I take the first mouthful of food I feel dizzy and light headed but it only lasts for upto 30 seconds. Very strange. I do tale daily medication but I don't think it's related.

Siobhan
Hi all,

Please note that there is nothing to worry about this symptom. It is a very commonly seen pattern.
If you haven't had any food for 5-6 hours and then start meal - during the first couple of bites, your body starts the process of releasing juices for digestion and your blood flows towards stomach. This changes the Blood Pressure and reduces the flow of oxygen in brain for some seconds to about a minute causing lightheadedness or dizziness.

It all becomes normal in under a minute. If you want to avoid this, you should eat regularly at 2 hour interval so that your body doesn't starve for food or sugar.

If the dizziness continues for over a minute, or after the meal, you need to see doctor.

Cheers,
Abhi
I am 44, diabetic with good blood sugar levels when i get these episodes. Mine last for about 2 hours, after every dinner now for going on two weeks. its very aggravating, i feel shockwaves every time i even move my eyes. Hard to explain but im starting to panic now. anybody else feeling this and do you have any suggestions?
I've experienced these symptoms of vertigo when I eat and sometimes when I drink. I think everyone needs to have a clear understanding of what dizziness and vertigo is.
I have had bouts of vertigo, but these seem to go away if I lose weight. The cause is still unknown but it may be linked to hypertension. Also When it the vertigo begins, I can feel pressure in my head and especially in my ear. The tinnitus rings even louder.
If anyone has the same conditions as mine, perhaps you can provide further proof that it is in fact hypertension.

Thanks.
I have been having this problem for over a year now. It has gotten worse and worse for me that now and I am not eating well because of it. I take a few bites of food and begin to feel sick and dizzy. It lasts alot longer than a few seconds for me. My thoughs were that it may have something to do with sinus pressure, inner ear, jaw, eyes or a combination of some or all. Does anyone else have sinus pressure? I haven't seen it mentioned as a possible culprit yet but I have heard that sinus pressure can cause dizziness. It seems to me like the act of chewing and looking down then up then down again brings it on for me. I am going to do my best to try to investigate these possibilites with Drs (normal ones and not so normal ones, I am desperate) and on my own. I am miserable. I can't enjoy going out to eat because I am afraid I am going to pass out. I only eat alittle at home throughout the day. I do seem to feel better if I get up and walk around for a few minutes.

I am just so ready for answers and I pray I get some! If I do I will post them!
What about  post dump syndrome?
I have suffered the same symptoms for several years.  Vertigo while eating the first bite and thats when my life started to change. After dealing with it I started having hearing loss, no doctor had an explanation.  Now a suffered with a pulsatile tinnitus combined with other tinnitus noises. I have being diagnosed with otosclerosis and probably  usher desease.  All this began with the symptoms being discussed, so my suggestion is to go and see an otology and get evaluated. I'm not saying you are going to experience what I have gone through but vertigo while eating is not a normal symptom. I am a 41 yr female and this began to happened about 10 yrs ago. Hopfully this might help somebody in their early stage.

I was really excited to see this blog.  I have been experiencing the dizzy symptom for some time now.  I really can't remember when.  I just thought it as so strange to take a bite or two and get so dizzy.  I have also noticed that my ears so clogged at times.  I have been telling my husband more to turn up the TV.  Certain noises though seem more annoying then they did.  I typically have lower blood pressure.  I was tested for being pre-diabetic and everything seemed fine there.   I did find out that I have DDD in the neck and arthritis in my upper back along the spine.  I have also increased in taking my vitamins.  Vitamin D levels were low, so figured that was the reason for the fatigue.  Increased and taking daily with Fish Oil, Calcium, B-12, Magnesium, but still tired.   I am 41 - average height and weight.  Trying to become more active.   I did have sinus surgery about 7 years ago, and do not seem to have any sinus issues at this time.
Glad I found this blog!  I has been a good six months since this dizziness after swallowing 1 or 2 bites of food started.  My doctor is stumped like most of them it seems. I, like you went through testing.  The only results were that I am in great health and all is normal.  The irony of it all.  I am a 61 year young male and I have tested and noticed the following as it applies to me:

It never happens when I eat breakfast.  That’s interesting because my body hasn’t had any food or fluids for 6 to 8 hours.

It sometimes happens at lunch but most often at dinner time.

At first I thought that it may be related to movement (someone in front of me moving their hands or action on TV).  I also have a scar in my inner ear so maybe that has something to do with it.  Not knowing was caused the dizziness, I decided to do some testing.  Eating standing up instead of sitting down helped a bit.  Not the best way to eat :o)  Tried sitting up straight when eating and that helped a bit.  Next I focused on the first mouthful of food and while looking at my plate, did not swallow the first mouthful right away but let it sit in my mouth for 5 seconds before chewing slowly and swallowing.  That definitely helped me.  Same thing for the second mouthful.  If I experienced dizziness, it was very mild and very short in duration.  I also realized that sitting down and relaxing for a few minutes before eating also helped.

My next step is to start my meals with a few slow small sips of milk, apple juice, tea, coffee or even water and see if that helps also.

I did do the blood pressure test before and after.  It was the same.  Not watching TV while eating was a big plus.  I sometimes sat on the couch while eating and realized that my stomach was all bunched up and that it may not be the best position to be in since every time I did eat on the couch I got a strong bout of dizziness.

There was mention earlier on that maybe eating more often may help.  That could be helpful but why is it that in my case it never happens in the morning.  That really baffles me.

I will continue to test myself and anything positive will be shared with all of you.  Who knows, it may disappear as quickly as it came.

Forever hopeful
wow - I can't believe how many people have this same issue!  I googled it just out of curiosity, not at all expecting such discussion!  As for age related ... probably not ... I'm a 54 year old male, and the dizziness occurs for only a few seconds, only during the first bite or two of food, with TYPE of food not seeming to matter, and I began noticing it only over the past 8-12 months.  my doctor and ENT specialist both admit to being unsure, but agree that a TMJ issue is logical - it IS possible for the chewing mechanism, especially at initial movement, to impinge on a nerve in the balancing mechanisms of the ear, causing the brief dizziness.
thanks for the pep talk, but what you are describing would only relate to those who have the issue at breakfast.  For most of us, it has NOTHING to do with having not eaten.  Moreover, my symptoms, as for most of us, occur TOO quickly after taking a bite of food to be related to changes in blood pressure or blood sugar - as confirmed by both GP doctors and ENT specialist with whom I have spoken.  A chemical issue is simply illogical, given the symptoms.  Hence, the hypothesis that it is a mechanical issue, and, given that hypothesis, an issue related to the proximity of jaw function to the ear functions that control balance.
in reference to our need to distinguish between dizziness and vertigo, I don't think that's confusin anyone:  dizziness is a SYMPTOM; vertigo is a CONDITION relating to a conflict between the signals sent to the brain by various balancing and position-sensing systems of the body.  Mayo Clinic has a great online article on "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" (BPPV).  Best part is that it is treatable!  The clinic recommends a "canalith repositioning procedure" performed by your doctor in normally two office sessions. The procedure moves particles that apparently collect in the fluid in your inner ear, causing balance issues, into a "vestibule" in your ear where they can be more easily reabsorbed by your body and hopefully free us from our issues!  This is my next plan of action!
57 year old healthy female who exercises 3-5x/week. (Hypothyroid only. No other meds.)
Look up gallbladder disease.   I think mine is related to GB, (which has recently begun rearing it's ugly head, after a 40 pound weight loss, which I understand is common).  I experience a very brief dizziness when I put food to my mouth and open.  Some ear/hearing situation. No known TMJ.  I agree that it must be a chemical stimulated dizziness, caused by the body's anticipation/and preparation for ingesting food. The food does not have to touch my lips before I get this flash dizziness, that goes away instantly.
Thanks for everyone's input.  Glad to know I'm not just nutz!
I researched this 3 years ago when my symptoms first appeared and found nothing online-- Its good to finally know that I am the not the only one with this issue- I will explain my symptoms so others can relate: Mine started about 4 years ago and lasted about 6 months and dissappeared then have came back about 4 months ago and bug the heck out of me- The dizziness upon taking my first or second bite for me never happens with breakfast- My meals through the day is where it gets me- my first bite occasionally can go from almost knocking me down and other times is very mild spinning feeling- I have always had some inner issues with my right ear so have always thought it had to do with that somehow- have been tested with no results as they say I'm healthy! This is frustrating! My tip would be to try and eat with feet on the ground and feet off as i have found that my worst cases come when eating in the car- I step outside on the ground and the dizziness subsides slowly. Hopefully someone figures out what is causing these symptoms so can change behaviors to stop it.
I have scarring on my right ear drum and reduced hearing in that side also
Same with me- It never happens at breakfast.
Certain foods make me feel dizzy it is very weird.   I also fall asleep after eating fried foods.  Of course I told my mom, she looks at me like like I have two heads she does not understand.  
Hello all-
I started this post way back in 2007.  The dizzy feeling during the first bite lasted quite awhile, then seemed to go away as mysteriously as it came.  Lately now, in the last month or so, I think it is coming back.  The feeling I get isn't as pronounced as I remember it being, but every so often (not all the time yet) I'll take that first bite and get just a slight and brief sensation of dizziness.  Doesn't last long, maybe 2-3 seconds or so, but it's definitely there again.  I'm on the run constantly lately, and my eating habits have been horrible, lots of soda, junk foods and sweets.  Not much meat to speak of.  Going to try to correct my eating habits and see if that makes a difference, as it's the only thing I can think of that has changed lately.
   Your description of symptoms is mine too!  I get dizzy with the first bite or two, and then it just disappears within a couple of seconds. Not related to swallowing, tmj, or diabetes or blood pressure or any other health issue. I have no health issues and take no meds. I'm 52 and healthy. AND I HAD A STAPEDECTOMY on my RIGHT EAR 12 years ago! WEIRD EH?  I notice that the food I 'respond' with dizziness is usually strong tasting like vinegary or spicy. Not necessarily hot food either. And not with drinks. Very weird indeed but I have been curious WHY this happens.  Not concerned though I find it interesting that your symptoms were/are mine too!
I monitored mine and it only happens with hot to warm foods. Grabbed a burger at McDonald's and it happened. Only the first bite seems to activate it. Can't drive for a minute or 2. Any foods that have cooled down a bit are OK. Who waits for their burger to cool down before eating it? Going to a GI specialist soon. I had umbilical hernia surgery in combination with Gall bladder surgery at the same time in October 2006 and have had symptoms on and off since. Also have a sore and stiff neck most of the time. Eyes go weird while on computer some times.
I have the same thing come and go but lasts throughout the meal. Usually not at breakfast.  Many bones move in your head while chewing..feel your head while you chew...nerves also get moved around while chewing leading to the inner ear.. I tried some Advil before my meal and it seemed to help,.. look into inflammation. Inflammation is down after a good night sleep
I am 23, male. Been having these symptoms as far as I remember. Though as somebody already mentioned they seem more often when I hadn't had a bite in quite some time and even more often when the meal is hot. Doesn't really bother me, just googled it out of pure curiosity.
hi all,im a 24 year old guy with pretty much the same as you all, iv had the same symptoms for the last 4/5 years, its weird getting the feeling and its never really bothered me until now, just today 3/11/2011 i woke up with a headache and neckache and iv been ok'ish with it until later in the evening, iv been on my bed most of the night relaxing and i had a bite of a chocolate bar and went very dizzy, felt like i was spaced out like being on drugs or something, it lasted 2-3 minutes and i felt like just collapsing, my body went weak and my eyes felt like they were going to pop out! this is the worst its ever been so decided to google it and came across this post and nobody seems to have an answer it seems to happen with me when i have a hot or cold drink or hot or cold food, its strange. i wanted to ask, does anybody with these symptoms or similar symptoms smoke??
I'm a 42 year old Hispanic Male living in Florida. I'm experiencing the same... Slight dizziness on first couple of bites. I got concerned when this happened seconds after putting a breath mint in my mouth. Has anyone checked for diabetes??????
For many years I would eat and feel dizzy. It would start while I was eating. It progressed to the point where it would turn into debilitating full blown spinning vertigo attacks. Many doctors over many years to no avail. But this last guy, an ENT and Allergist, said it was all adding up to an allergy that was showing up in the balance mechanism of my left ear. He said I should take antihistamines. I told him that I have never had an allergy in my entire life, but I tried some anyway and haven't had a vertigo attack nor have I gotten dizzy while eating or afterwards since. What a relief. He was right.  The stuff I take is called chlorpheniramine maleate. AKA chlorpheniramine. It's the cheapest drug you'll ever buy and it's non-prescription. You may need to ask the pharmacist to get it from behind the counter because sometimes they don't put it out on the shelf with all the other meds. It cost me only $3.00 for 100, 4mg tablets. Thats only three cents per pill, which is way cheaper than the more than five dollars per pill that some allergy meds cost. I take 4 tablets a day. I can finally eat again. It's about time because I'd lost 35 lbs and couldn't afford to lose any more. Good luck. Hope this helps.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I have your exact same symptoms and my doctor can't  figure it out. It only happens when I first put food in my mouth even if just an m&m, and it happens all the time. A sense of lightheadedness and loss of balance for a few moments. Goes away by the second bite and it doesnt happen when I drink anything. It's becoming annoying and a bit scary. Maybe theres a doctor out there that will see our blogs and help us. Good luck.
This has been happening to me for a while, so bad that i refrigerate my food before eating them or let them cool off. I eat very slow as well i even take breaks while eating. As spicy food only when i have been drinking i get dizzy while eating them
I didn't know what to expect when I googled this and I am really surprised by all the responses.  I usually notice this when I start eating lunch in the hospital cafeteria, but I've experienced this many other times as well.  Doesn't seem to matter what I eat, however there could be a link to cold carbonated beverages as I drink lots of those.  I was wondering if it was some sort of diabetic thing.  However, my lightheadedness starts as soon as I start eating and usually continues to the end of the meal.  Today it lasted until I walked back to my office.  

There is really no medical diagnosis for this?
   Wow this has been looked at and dealt with for about 5 years online now, nice.
   Hi my name's Brandon, i'm 29 and i'm an alcoholic. Just kidding lol but i do go out and drink occasionally on the weekends. Seems like it is, usually, the day after of a social night i have the dizziness in the forehead while i try to eat. If I slow down a bit and catch my breath it seems to kind of hit and miss. I also have something wrong with my esophagus or throat but they can not diagnose it and have had ear  problems as a child. A stress individual at times is also characteristics that might factor in to what this deal is.
   I have yet to look at all the above posts but i'm hoping someone's found a breakthrough with this because it can be quite scary and annoying at times to deal with.
It just so happens that I was searching the identical issue online today and found something very ironic about your story.  I too have had ear surgery for stapedectomy but with both ears.  It would be interesting to find out if this could be the reason for both of our problems.
24 year old female.
Symtoms (symptoms):
1.) Vertigo while eating, smoking, sitting down (does not seem to happen when standing or lying down)
2.) Feelings of nervousness and anxiety (have had crippling anxiety for about 10 years)
3.) Stopped taking adderall (adderrall) 2 months ago
4.) Have not had alcohol or caffeine in 3 weeks due to worsening of dizziness
5.) Brain fog (diagnosed with fibromyalgia)
6.) Fatigue
7.) Blackouts
8.) Feelings of or crawling sensations in forehead
9.) Lost voice recently, sore throat, no fever though
10.) Swollen lymph nodes in front of neck, no strep though, tight feeling in back of neck
11.) Chest feels tight (could be anxiety related)
Duration about a month now. I have pretty much a purist diet. All organic, veggies and fruit galore. At a healthy weight. The only damaging habit I have is smoking. I find that this happening while eating is coincidence it has less to do with that and more the motion of my forehead. The chest pain I think is anxiety because I have yet to be diagnosed with something, so it is scary to walk around thinking you could have a serious illness. One conclusion I have come down to, and one that everyone's symptoms fall under is a magnesium deficiency. Something to look into if nothing else. Please if anyone is diagnosed with anything please post for the rest of us.  
24 year old female.
Symtoms (symptoms):
6.) Fatigue
7.) Blackouts
I have also had these same symptoms which have lasted for the last few years on and off.  I have noticed a relationship between my allergies and not taking my antihistamine (Zyrtec).  When I have not taken the Zyrtec for about 3-4 days I start to have the symptoms.  When I restart the medication again the symptoms go away in about 2-3 days.  I also notice when my allergies act up due to environmental factors the dizziness returns regardless of taking the Zyrtec.  I think the symptoms have to do with the fluid which backs up in your inner ear due to the allergies.  When eating the movement made with your mouth causes changes in pressure in your inner ear and may very well have to do with the symptoms that we have and why they are only transient.  Once the pressure equalizes again the feeling goes away.  I am currently having the symptoms again and trying to take Sudafed (decongestant) to help decreased the amount of fluid in my ears/sinuses with some success.  

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner who works in the ER and when I had asked some of the ER doctors about this a few years ago they looked at me like I was nuts so had to find out my own answers to these problems.  I don't know if this is the answer to everyones symptoms but it may very well help a vast majority.  I also think looking at all the other peoples posts there are a large amount of people who have allergies and some who may not know they have them.  Most also have inner ear problems which I feel is the culprit on most. I would be very interested to see how others symptoms change/improve when taking something for allergies consistently.  For the record I am 37 y/o male who does exercise 4-5 times a week and like most of you don't have any problems other than with the first few bites of food.  

Good luck.
Wow I just had a bite of a muesli bar at my computer.. and felt dizzy for a second.. then thought.. hey that happens a fair bit.. maybe I should google it.. and then I found this! Crazy!!
I wonder if it's a reaction from your brain in anticipation of food.. like as soon as your brain knows it's about to get food it sends a signal.. something related to your blood sugar? Letting your blood sugar know that it's about to be sorted out? Any one reading this that knows about that?
I do get extremely 'hangry' and all my friends know to steer clear of me if I haven't eaten.. Sometimes I have to give my husband a countdown until when I'm about to lose it... we laugh about it.. he knows that if I get like that I need to eat pronto.. he says okay.. is it like 30 minutes from showdown or 5 minutes from showdown? hahaha
Anyway, hope someone gets to the bottom of this.
Hi jah1

I have the same symptons as you I am a 13 year old female that has had this happening to me since october last year and has goote worse at school and its just hard to hard to study at school when I have to study and focus but it just gets in the way.Do you have any advice please  
I have been feeling like that since october 2011. I have been diagnosed with autoimmune hashimoto and gallsbladder problem. i don't know yet if it is not working well or I have gallstones but I belive that dizziness is more likely conected to gallbladder and not autoimmune. my hormones are in good level the only think what is wrong are my antybodies which are really high.
This has been happening to me a lot. I notice it if I eat chocolate or sweets but also normal things like meats and other foods. It feels like a rushing dizziness. Like being strapped to a rocket or roller coaster and you body is moving forward but your head is moving backwards. I also notice it kind of makes Your vision go off centered. I an overweight and need to lose it and I think it could be a factor but I'm not sure. My wife also says I have sleep apnea and that she has to nudge me at night to breath and at my call center job, I have been getting short of breath just saying 3-4 sentences that never bothered me before. My left hurt across the top and up around the joint of my toes has started to hurt when I walk or flex my foot. All the symptoms except the dizziness start about the same time but I have no idea if any of it is related. I hate going to the drs just for then to send me to a million other people or tell me they can't find anything wrong with me. Any ideas?
Abhi...

I have read this whole blog and ur answer wa the main one that made me feel comfortable. I have had dizzy spells when eating for a few years and there is no rhyme or reason to it. I even get dizzy as i put the food to my lips, before i even bit, vry often with carbonated drinks, (i think its the bubbles), so my brain knows its coming. I found ur post very interesting and it seems to make the most sense for my case anyway.

Culd you please tell me how u know this or where u got this info from? I would very much like to research it more..

Thank you so much

sarah
Hi there.. I totally agree with this concept. Funny enough, all the posts that say that they hv dizzyness immediately and often before the food even goes in the mouth also seem to be those who 'are on the go' and 'eat when really hungry'. I really do feel that for alot of us the dizzyness is related to low blood sugar levels and that the brain recognises and 'eagerly anticipates' the digestion of sugars so creates a head rush in the anticipation. All foods contain a certain amount of sugar so i dont really think it matters what food it is... I think possibly those of us who are also more prone to head rushes when standing quickly, dizzyness after a run etc are more likely to get this symptom too when eating.. ??? Maybe we are more sensitive than the masses? Who knows? But I am so happy I found this blog as I have suffered with this for years and now feel much more comfortable with it..
Thank u all..x
Hello. I'm a 26 yr old female, with no significant health concern. I have been experiencing the same issue for the past 4 yrs or could be longer, as I didn't pay much attention in the begining. What I noticed though was that the dizziness comes when I take the first couple of bites when I am considerably really hungry. Now, I know most of us if not all eat food when we are hungry, but it is known to be better for our body to eat food regularly before we feel the "starvation". I don't feel the dizziness every time, but I would say about once in two days. Please let me know if you get the dizziness when you eat when you are really hungry.
Has anyone of you experiencing this symptom been cured? I also feel the same symptoms. Each time I munch on my food I suddenly feel dizzy. It's been happening to me for almost a year now. Previously the bouts would only last for a few seconds, but for the past few days I'm having a hard time shaking it off. Nowadays it would last for a good ten seconds. The rounds of dizziness is also getting worse.
I had an ear infection when I was 5, I'm 30 now
Dizzyness while eating could be explained by Roemheld Syndrome.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roemheld_syndrome

If it happens along with a number of other symptoms, it could be Lyme Disease.  Lyme is known to affect the 10th cranial (Vagus) nerve, which controls the heart, breathing, and digestion.

Lyme is associated with many other conditions because of the extensive damage it can cause in the body. Both gallbladder problems and Hashimoto's have been linked to Lyme Disease.  All the symptoms of Fibromyalgia are also on the symptom list of late stage Lyme. Lyme can cause pain in various places, not just the joints and muscles, and can also cause significant anxiety, especially when coinfected with Bartonella, another tick borne disease.

There's more info in this document and more info on ilads.org
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Don't believe a doctor who says, "Lyme isn't here."  It's in every state in the country!  It's more or less common in certain places, but it doesn't mean it's impossible to get.

I cant eat certain foods and when i do my head gets light headed and my eye sight is a major blurr. Its like im drunk i hate it i cant find anything to eat  the only thing i feel i can eat is pb&j on gluten free bread. I wish i had answers but dont. Can someone help?
i get this when i eat, especially when i am quite hungry, the reason i go dizzy is because as my taste buds sense that i am getting food the blood is forced in the stomach and gut in order to aid digestion and as a result i go dizzy due to a brief moment of reduced blood flow to my brain.

its normal, anyone who gets this with no other symptoms is experiencing the body's natural reaction to eating when hungry. if you ate regularly you would not experience this dizziness  
I am a 24 year old female who has been experiencing dizziness while eating for a while (never thought of it to be a re-occurring thing, so I haven't been keeping track)... but I've been noticing it a lot more and have finally decided to google it.  I tend to get dizzy while eating out at a restaurant.  I'll be fine in the beginning, but somewhere along the way I get so "dizzy" more so light-headed that I feel as though I have been drinking although throughout that entire meal, I didn't consume any alcohol.  I almost want to say that the feeling is sometimes more euphoric than dizzy... either way, its weird and makes me feel a little loopy.  I have experienced earaches as a child, I have gotten cavities filled (not sure if they contained any mercury) and I feel like I clench/grind my teeth, but haven't heard about concerns from my dentist in the past.  From maybe 6th grade to High School/College, I would almost always chew gum.  Nowadays I've broken that habit, but do bite down when nothing is in my mouth.  I have also become accustomed to the feeling of light-headedness when standing/getting up too quickly.  I have fainted before (hasn't happened during meals, more so in getting out of bed too fast).  I have had instances where I don't think I was getting enough air to the point where i was in the shower and due to the steam, it became harder for me to intake air, & thus passing out.  I was pregnant once, but had an abortion (please do not judge me, I just want to get everything that might be a similarity to others out).  During the time I was pregnant I would become nauseous fairly easily to certain smells, looking at a computer screen for too long, I would become tired faster than normal, I was very emotional, etc etc ... I think I had the usual signs.  Anyways, I'm just curious if there was any new information out there?  I have yet to inform my doctor about my experiences.  I went in for an appointment last week and had my blood pressure/heart rate taken and the nurse said it was normal or fine...  and judging by what others are saying on here, doesn't seem like the doctors would know anything unless it was something serious.  BTW, I don't exercise often (jogging, running, weightlifting), but I try walk around the neighborhood once in a while and will sometimes jog... my job is physically demanding where I have to be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and be on my feet.  Growing up I was active in sports (basketball, track & field, tennis, beginning lessons in figure skating, snowboarded).  One of my grandparents died from diabetes, another from Parkinsons (not sure if that ties in any way).  Hopefully this feeling doesn't become worse... I've heard of Vertigo and had a professor in college who had it.  It doesn't sound fun at all.  :[
I would also like to add that I had an absyss (sp) infection a week after my wisdom teeth were extracted.  (about 5 years ago?) This caused me not to eat much for almost two weeks, speak (i would communicate w/ a pen and paper b/c it was painful to talk)... it got to the point where I was in pain (head would throb, hurt to swallow).  The infection was affecting half of my head and was travelling down my throat - the doctor said if we hadn't come when we did, I could have died from not getting air properly b/c it was affecting my breathing tubes (sorry, not sure what the correct term is).  Recently, I was in a car accident where I had a CAT scan & various other tests done.  I woke up with a neck brace and was on bed-rest for an entire day.  I'm recovering, but I wonder if stress, traumatic experiences, depression, anxiety, etc. has anything to add to it?
I wish I had come across this page sooner.  I have been getting dizzy on the first one or two bites of food since about 2008.  My primary says she's never heard of such thing.  It does not happen all of the time, only when I have not been eating for a while and then begin eating.  I was wondering if it was related to blood sugar levels (not diabetic, but do test positive for prediabetes some of the time), but the dizziness begins so quickly after the first bite of food, I have to wonder if the food has had time to even begin digestion yet.  In any case,  I am releaved to see I am not alone.
I have been struggling with the same problem for years now. When I tell people about they think I'm crazy. I've even mentioned it to my doctor and she told me it was simply vertigo and I would just have to learn to live with it. However it did completely go away while I was pregnant but came back more intense once my pregnancy was over and I stopped breast feeding. I'm now thinking maybe it's a vascular or even a hormonal thing??
hey guys I found this article on what the problem could be. I too have the same problem. it usually happens at night when I eat large meals for dinner. I think this might answer some questions.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/eating-can-cause-low-blood-pressure
Okay, so I am giggling in my head a little.  This has been happening to me for 18 years that I can remember, because I remember this scaring the crap out of me sitting in the lunch cafeteria at school. I've been out of school for 18 years now.  It just happened again & I just happened to be sitting in front of computer and decided to google it.  I have chalked it up all of these years to the fact that it seems like I quit breathing to take a bite, therefore I get dizzy.  It seems to only happen when I actually am eating a meal.  I eat crackers at times for breakfast and do not get the feeling.  Maybe it is something about the anticipation of that first bite!  Today I was not overly hungry? Not sure, but it hasn't killed me yet! :)
I found out just today that my dizzy spells (no vertigo) seem to be caused by traces of air freshener in the room.  Today, I had a reaction 20 min. after using Febrese.  I have had 15 sec. near blackout spells also from baking bread - when I start the yeast or even open the package of yeast, or knead the dough.  What food producers don't tell us about are the massive amounts of chemicals they now use to create these foods with long shelf lives, or for that matter, the herbicides and pesticides applied to the plants.  For instance, imidicloprid, a powerful pesticide is sprayed on all the U.S. grown corn before planting.  Harvard Univ. has conclusive evidence that imidicloprid is causing bee colony collapse disorder, killing off all the bees. That means that all animals we eat that eat corn may be affected as well. Our bodies are all struggling to adapt to these changes, but they are happening too rapidly for our immune systems to accommodate, in my opinion.  I had 5 difficult spells today, am age 70 and have had these problems for years.  I am the original canary in the mine.
I am a 53 year old woman about 20 pounds overweight and I have noticed this phenomenon for about a year now. It only happens at the beginning of taking the first bite or two of food. A crazy dizziness. I am very busy and sometimes when very hungry will go through a drivethru to grab a quick bite. If I am driving when this occurs (which usually happens when I am really hungry) I am overly cautious. Though I have not passed out from it yet I have felt really close to it at times. It does not do it all the time. I am on no medications what so ever and in good health. I wonder what causes it but I am not extremely worried about it. I had extreme/chronic LOW blood sugar levels in my early to late 20's. My blood sugar levels never went over 70 and usually hovered around the low 60's. I felt brain dead most of the time. Thank goodness that ended in my 30's but my blood sugar seems to be normal now. Around 90 upon waking before eating or drinking anything. I do have unusual thirst at night. I was told that is a sign of diabetes but I don't have diabetes. Does anyone have excessive thirst?
I'm a 39 year old female and I've had this same problem for over 10 years now.

I get VERY dizzy when I eat about 70%+ of the time.  It only happens as I put the first bite of food in my mouth.  As soon as I start to chew, the dizziness sets in and I feel like I'm the verge of fainting for about 5-7 seconds and then it is gone and does not recur for the duration of THAT meal, but may happen again at the start of the NEXT meal.  It does not seem to matter what I am eating, what time of day it is, or how I feel (whether I'm tired, stressed, or not)

It does seem to happen the instant the sensation of taste triggers salivation.   (If that makes sense.)

It's a very surreal and weird feeling.  I've never heard anyone I've ever known say that it happens to them, so I assumed it was only me until I found this blog.  I am amazed at the number of people who experience this strange phenomenon.  I was actually sitting here at my computer and it happened as I began to eat, so I decided to google "dizziness when eating first bite of food" and found this site.
I've never mentioned it to a doctor because 1) tests are expensive and I'm sure they would be confused and want to run several of them.  And 2)  It's really a minor nuisance since it's over so quickly.
Add my name to the ever growing list! Experiencing my second bout of this, last time was about 4 years ago, lasted for about 4 months, then went. Checked out this blog because it came back last week. Damn, thought it was gone for good! Glad I'm not alone cause its a very weird sensation but because it comes and goes so quick you don't worry about it too much!
Me too, its amazing, I have had every test under the sun ran and nada. Tell me I have crystals laying on my lil hairs in my ears and that when I move (I don't have to be moving at all for the dizzy spell to happen) that they are falling between the hairs and making me dizzy. I have the exact same symptoms as everyone else here. It nice to know I'm not crazy and that others have experienced this.
this has been happening to me for almost a year, but not continuously. i haven't seen a doctor, but i think it has to do with my blood sugar spiking once i start eating, especially when i haven't eaten for many hours.
i have had this problem for a couple of years my doctor said its to do with a small bone in your ear and its being set off when you first stretch your jaw / mouth enough to take in food hence why it only happens first mouthful or so. hope this is some help for you guys.
I am a 39 year old female. And I am so glad that I am not alone. My coworkers think im over exaggerating, but it happens about 75% of the time. Always when I start to eat. I did have a problem about 10 months ago with vertigo but now it's just when I eat.  I hope to get more answers from you all.
Whew...I guess I can stop Googling aneurysm and stroke symptoms. I too am dealing with dizziness. The intense bouts started about 3 weeks ago although I have dealt with motion sickness throughout my life.

I've been trying some things and here is what I have discovered:

My blood pressure is generally 118-120/80 but its been up lately to 130/80. I believe that it is the stress of my fear that I am having a stroke that has raised this level.

I wanted to drop some weight so I cut my caloric intake drastically. I was drinking a glass of orange juice in the morning followed by a cup of coffee and a yogurt at break and I  became so dizzy that I had to sit down. The blackout feeling passed with time but the dizziness, blurry vision, heart pains, anxiety and difficulty in focusing on what others are saying lasted throughout the day. Oh yeah...irritable...very irritable.

I Googled a food list for my blood type which is O negative. People with my blood type already have a high level of acid in their system and my diet was definitely adding to this. I switched up my foods. These days I have a handful of raw walnuts for breakfast and another for break. I also switched to caffeine free tea instead of coffee. For lunch I take organic turkey slices and lay several leaves of raw spinach in them, roll them up and eat. The dizziness is all but gone.

During my afternoon break I was drinking a 12 oz glass of sprite. I cut that out but got one on Friday just to test...one sip and I was hit with a huge wave of dizziness. Also, since I've been living on nuts, turkey and spinach I decided to splurge this morning and make sausage, gravy, biscuit and orange juice, As soon as I had the juice and a couple of bites of food...WHAM!

I have mercury fillings. I had inner ear problems as a child and still have to use alcohol/vinegar drops when I swim to avoid swimmers ear. I am very active going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I have had a round of antibiotics in the past 2 months after a minor surgery.
oops: forgot to add:

47 year old female
drinks 2 alcoholic beverages in the evenings
My allergies have been worse lately. My ears feel a bit stopped up this morning. I just took and antihistamine so I'll let you know if it make a difference.
This happens to me too.  I don't know why?
Its usually after the swallow that I fet dizzy.then a few bites later its gone..half hour later I get really tired...I have been told to check my thyroid.:-\
This happens to everybody. I believe it happens when you have kept your mouth closed for a long time and suddenly open it to eat the food. There is sudden rush of blood in the mouth mussels which is drawn away from the brain very quickly. The lack of oxygen causes the dizziness.
I too have this happen. It is after the first bite or two and don't last long. It happens with all types of food. It seems harmless to me, and after my research I believe it could be described like what they call a "Chilli High". That is where, the heat of the chilis causes your brain to release endorphins, which are the body's natural opiates. Some people get emotional after eating chilis, some feel dizzy. I get that dizzy head feeling everytime I eat hot peppers or chilli pepper seasoned food but it also happens with other foods. I have not asked my doctor about this theory yet, maybe someone here could chim in on this "endorphin release theory", as to if it is possible or not.
I just googled this because it happens to me, but not as often. Also, it seems to happen mostly with cold crispy salads, and just now I drank some cold water that I had added some mineral drops to and it happened, so now I am wondering if the sensation is caused by cold, water, or some kind of vitamin or mineral...I would like to know!
Hi I know it's a few years later but I have suffered from this for 4 years and just the other morning I woke up deaf. I went to the ENT and they told me I have sudden deafness. It's is not know what causes this but they treat it with steroids and hope u get your hearing back. I am waiting for a MRI to see if I have any kind of tumor or anything. It's very scary. I also have jaw problems so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I was never concerned with it till I lost my hearing. So hopefully my hearing will improve and it's not something very serious.
Did any of you tried any bad ecstasy before ?
I ran across this post because I finally decided to see if others have been having this issue. I too have been getting dizzy about 75% of the time when I start to eat anything...doesn't matter what it is. This has been going on for me since I was 16 yrs old, and it continues 34 yrs later. I have brought it up to my doctor one time, but she just blew it off and said she's "never heard of anything like that". Sometime's the dizziness is mild, but other times it is strong and lasts for over a minute. I would love to know what causes it, but so far I have been unable to find a reason.
Most of you probably have a vestibular dysfunction that can be worsened by allergies or inflammation. That's what I have and when my sinuses get inflamed, I get dizzy when I chew...especially crunchy things.
Has been happening to me know for a couple months,googled it came up with your thread....has anyone found out anything? I am prediabetic,but its only during first couple bites of food..
I have the same problem, been suffering from one or two times a month for a few seconds during the past five years.  When I take my first bite I see the room swimming before it settles and nothing more happens for the rest of the meal.  It has over time got more and more frequent plus intense to the point that if I bite into a Sandwich while I drive I take a risk to lose control for a few seconds and with company everybody looks on in concern when I duck my head until I compose myself at the dinner table.  I am out of the UK and because I had massive Asthma attack which lead to my hospitilisation I mentioned the issue to the Dr.  The Belgian Dr has scanned an echographed around my Liver because of all the products it produces as part of the digestion process (this afternoon I have just had a camera sent down to my gall bladder to check for stones but nothing...)  unfortunately other then my bloodwork showing issues they cannot track down the proble,.  I am 36 and male they have suggested that working in Customer Service (stress based) will result in my attraction to high sugar contained foods or coca-cola as part of the brains auto-comfort food drive.  The issue is probably not related to fat foods just the bodies drive for sugar.  To resolve I need to drop 9kg and take up sports that allow me to release stress, such jogging, tennis or squash.  My aim is to do this and see if it makes a difference, after reading so many of the responses I cannot help but think that the McDonalds generations of the 80's and 90's now in their 30's and 40's are going to be showing signs of problems which did not occur before.  Perhaps the numbers suffering from this are greater then this blog would have us think.  If I get a result from all the work my Dr is doing I will post it on here.
My 13 year old son has had the same problem for months now. We just went and had a glucose test done and everything came out good. He is a healthy active young man. We have not changed anything we do or eat and no stress for him. He says it only happens when he starts to eat. His dr put him on a snack at school mid morning and he says he gets dizzy then but not at lunch now. He still gets dizzy at supper but never in the morning at breakfast. He has no other signs and has been checked out by his dr. We dont know what else to try. Any help would be greatly welcomed.
Did you ever get a diagnosis. I have the same issue whenever I eat
No diagnosis for me yet either, unfortunately.  Mine still tends to come and go, although not as often as it used to, and as far as I can figure out, nothing in my lifestyle has changed that would affect it either.  Still trying to narrow it down tho....
hi if your son has any silver filings please get them out thy wont tell you it is the problem but i know it is i suffered for years he will get alot of things wrong with him as he gets older   PLEASE SAVE HIM FROM THAT IF HE HAS SILVER HILINGS GET THEM OUT NOW
i am having exactly the same thing happening to me and i too have fillings  mine were from the navy years ago
Viewing 1-200 comments: