Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Dizzy when standing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Dizzy when standing

I am sometimes dizzy when standing. I have no idea what it is. i am physically fit and work out most days. I have been tested for Thyroid, diabetes, chlorestoral, liver function, kidneys, blood pressure. All has come back normal. however I did once, for a period have raised blood pressure readings (which are not hereditary). I was in a stressful situation at the time. I changed that and my diet and now for instance my readings are aroung 117/68 and sometimes 125/80. My push rate is around 58 in the morning. but as I said I am pretty fit and work out (running and cardio mainly), most mornings.

This doesn't happen all the time. I am trying to workout if its something to do with menstration or anxiety which i do suffer from but feel that i have it under control. I do not take any meds for anything. Just vitamins (multi-vitamins, b100's and sometimes q10)

I am 43 and am on the higher side of my normal BMI.

I remember this first happening about 10 years ago which I was at work and i stood up to get something. It made me so stressed and nervous. Then never really had it again for years. now I have had it a few more times.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your comment. I did feel that it might be that. but I am 43 and in good health so I only thought it happened to older people. Plus the first episode was about 10 years ago.

In saying that i must say that if I take my bloodpressure first thing in the morning whilst lying down. It could be something like 109/68 and if I wait a few minutes and then take it again whilst sitting on the edge of my bed. it could go up to 125/80.

So I guess that is a bit of a change. i did read somewhere, that people who are involved in fitness can experience this. because their blood pressure is so low. Do you know anything about that?
My fiance is going through some of the same stuff.  He went through 3 family deaths and stress and had dizzy spells.  That subsided until he went to the ENT and had hearing tests done.  He now gets dizzy every day and has to lay down for about 2 to 3 hours but then is fine until the next day.  It sounds like you have postural dizziness if you get it when you stand up.  I know stress can have a lot to do with the way your body works.  He has gone through plenty of tests too but to no avail.  He is on depression and anxiety meds which seem to work at the beginning but I suppose his body gets used to them and they don't work any more.  
My advice to you would be to ask your doctor about an anxiety medication like xanax or less sedating ativan.  If you don't care to take this kind, ask him about dizziness meds like antivert and try those first.  They seemed to help my fiance.  Maybe they will help you and will continue to.  Also, if its just happening when you stand, try getting up slowly and stopping each time you move your head so your ears will balance themselves.  Speaking of ears, have you checked them to see if you have fluid buildup?
"Thanks for your comment. I did feel that it might be that. but I am 43 and in good health so I only thought it happened to older people. Plus the first episode was about 10 years ago."

I'm 31, in good health, and run 20-30 miles per week and also experience dizziness on occasion upon standing (at least 5 times a week); in addition to the dizziness I also "see stars" for about 10 s.  I have low bp (100/60) and have experienced this problem upon standing for as long as I can remember; according to my doctor, I am perfectly healthy.

It makes sense that when you stand too quickly, the blood momentarily "rushes from you head" causing said symptoms and these would be more noticable in those w/ low blood pressure to begin with.  I have found, that the other poster said, that standing up slowly prevents this from happening.
I have this same problem, and lost my job because of it. Whenever i go from a sitting, or lower position and stand up i go dizzy, as far as i knew that was it, but apparently i was blacking out and fitting whilst i think i'm dizzy.

I went to the GP but he could not give a solid reason for it. I also had a diabetes test, blood pressure test and also suspected anemia. He eventually put it down to low blood pressure and sent me on my way with the advice that follows:

Go from a laying down position to standing in stages, do not jump right up sit up and sit for a few seconds and so on.

He also accused my diet and the fact i was eating the wrong breakfast cereal?!

Anyway, mine has passed over time now i experience it maybe twice a year, sometimes not at all.

I don't know if the problem you describe resembles mine, but if so it may also decrease over time.

I am not sure if this post helped much. :-s

Kind Regards
yes the mind boggles. I probably run that distance a week. So it might have something to do with fitness. I think at times my pressure does get very low
Hi for the past two months i have been suffering from constant nausea, can't really eat that much anymore because of the nausea, my head feels really weird. And every afternoon i loose my vision from far become very grooggy and my eyes look like i have been doing drugs or something. It also happens when i do any physical activity even walking! And i tried to work yesterday and everyone at my work was saying that it looked like my left eye was way smaller than the other, yet my pupils are the same.  And about two months ago for a whole week i could not get up from a laying down position without getting extremly dizzy. Dizziness has been off and on for about 5 months but now it's constant.  I have been doing a bad thing and looking up brain tumor on the computer, now i think i have one! So now im having anxiety attacks. Is there any other reason for these symptoms besides a brain tumor.  by the way i have no headaches what so ever.