Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Does anyone know the long term effects of drinking ENERGY DRINKS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I love caffeine, but, I don't care for coffee. So, I drink Energy Drinks. For years now, I have researched and studied these new products that are filling the shelves. I have my favorite brands. I drink them daily (only 1 or 2). Now, these ingredients have morphed into gum, mints, & various other products, making it easier to consume. On top of Guarana, Ginseng, Taurine, & Caffeine, you also have a ton of sugar!
Yet they promise soooo much (Vitalize the body & Mind; loose weight; focus better; gain energy & stamina; blah-blah-blah..!)

Am I right in fearing Kidney failures & extreme cavities in the future???
Tags: caffeine
Many energy drinks contain artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame, Succrolose, Sorbital, Acelfame, etc, and these are very toxic, even to the few people who claim otherwise. If you ask around, you'll get 50 comments on how bad it is to every 1 comment of how there's nothing wrong with it. Be careful to read labels thoroughly, and skip anything that has artificial sweeteners (This very much includes the poison that they claim is "made from sugar,") & they tout that they give you energy or help you lose weight, which is a scam to sell their products. Be careful and consider detoxing. Caffeine is a whole other story. :)
Not sure what you're asking but caffeine is addicting in a
psycological & physiological way. Why do you NEED caffeine or
is it brain fog till you get it to start up a.m. neurons? Alot
makes you hyper. Age factors in. Read labels & see how much is
in the drinks. I'm several decades older than you I bet. I drink
cajun-french coffee (2cups in a.m.). This is strong coffee w/
chickory. I don't function w/o my a.m. fix. Rest of day, I drink
asst'd de-caf teas. When I have to fast 12 hrs for blood tests
& only have water, I say speak at your own risk! I have had many
yrs of tests, & kidney function has not been in jeopardy. I have
my brain balanced. I've tricked myself by accident. When I
travel, I've been given de-caf & carried on like my reg-day w/o
knowing it was de-caf. Remembered later, they had lousy coffee.
Also noticed I had lousy hand-writing. Probably do to with-draw
affect. They did test on something called Red Bull w/ much less
caffeine & all acted same. Next day got the real stuff & they
were multi-tasking more. I think moderation is key. If you have
a dependancy on caffeine in energy drinks, don't think it's the
energy part helping you move! If you wk-out, most drinks balance
electrolytes but not all day. Ginseng can interact w/ many lab
tests so don't drink any herbs before calling lab or wait 3 days
before tests. Too much caffeine affects the heart as you age.
I have genetic hypertension & on meds. Coffee raises my BP till
I get to meds & start tea. Many get severe hdaches if caffeine
is suddenly stopped. I'm sure research is somewhere on net.
I wouldn't take aspertame at all. But everything in moderation. You can even get too much water.
I don't know if you are asking about things like Powerade, gatorade, etc...  I have mild heart issues and because I also have seizures do not drive.  I walk and/or ride a bicycle.  I was having worse than normal irregular heat beats.  My cardiologist recommended Gatorade and/or Powerade because they increase/improve the electrolytes in your body, when drank in moderation - they are also great at quenching your thirst. My daughters father is diabetic so I restrict her sugar intake. I do read the labels looking for sugars (corn syrup, fake sugars, etc...) but more for things that are good for us.
you know there has been almost zero research, but i have a feeling that these drinks are going to greatly effect our health, i bet a frequent user has probably shaved several year his or her life.
Caffeine is not beneficial when used regularly.

Regular caffeine users (depending on amount and the person) will develop a tolerance to a certain threshold, so that they'll need caffeine to get just normal awakeness end endurance. But isn't  the stuff supposed to give you *more* power ? ;-)
The reason for this is, that cells receive a signal telling them "work less!" when you need rest. Caffeine blocks this signal, and if you use caffeine regularly enough and in high enough amounts, cells will grow more receptors for this signal to compensate.
Which then means, that, if no caffeine is in the bloodstream, cells will receive the "work less" signal overly strong, and you are not as awake as you should. So you need your "morning fix" to get up at all...  And the folks selling coffee etc. are really happy that you think  you need it.
It can take up to two months of caffeine abstinence to reverse this tolerance. For strong caffeine users, the beginning of quitting that habit might be accompanied by withdrawal symptoms like head aches.

Needless to say that such spraying black color over your body's warning lamp "need rest!" easily leads to abuse of your body, which is nothing healthy, especially on a regular basis.
I could imagine that aging is accelerated somewhat through severe caffeine abuse, but I guess it's hard to research...
caffeine is addictive and i has shown after a long term of consuming it you start to show signs of chronic insomia, anxiety, stomach ulcers, and deterioration of your liver. It also increases your blood pressure , which after a while is not good for your heart. This is a study dont with a person who drank sodas everyday which have a caffeine dose of 25mg now thing of how much more damage that will do to you when you drink and energy drink that has anywhere from 80mg to 250 mg of caffeine in them! Still sure you wanna put that in your body? Besides the fact that there is nothing natural about them and that the FDA doesnt even know what Taurine the main ingredient in them does to you!
A related discussion, The Long Term Impact of Energy Drinks was started.