Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Does magnesium help with nightmares?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Does magnesium help with nightmares?

Hello!  I was very happy to find people I can relate to.  I have seen many counselors and psychiatrists and have explained my nightmares.  All have gave me medicines or suggestions which I have taken but all seem to be not working.  I'm scared to sleep but scared to stay awake.  I'll have dreams that seem to "come true" and I feel like I'm going out of my mind.  Sometimes I even cry about it cause I feel like I just can't take it anymore.  I am in search of answers from people who have the same symptons.  I have had nightmares since I was a kid and continue to at the age of 27.  I wake up sweating almost everynight and when I wake it's almost a relief until my "nightmares" seem to be coming true.  I have even accused my boyfriend of affairs that have not occured.  I'm not crazy, just concerned.  Scared my nightmares are a gateway to the future and can't get passed them.  What am I to do?  This could wreck my relationship.  Help!
One thing I would do is check to see if you are hypoglycemic. People who have low blood sugar can suffer terribly at night from night mares. I suffer from low blood sugar and I have woken up many times from nightmares. One time I woke up crying because of a nightmare. Second I would try taking some 5htp to see if that helps you sleep deeper and more relaxed. You could also try hypnosis. Thats all the help I can give you. I hope you get relief soon.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Nightmares are also a part of sleep disturbances. When the pattern of sleep in not normal, the subconscious mind overtakes and nightmares happen. Consult a sleep specialist and a sleep study should be conducted while you sleep to know what is wrong in the pattern of sleep. Do consult a sleep specialist.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I'm sorry these nightmares have been bothering you and I hope what I have to say helps at least a little bit. I have some experience in the nightmare area (death sleep & etc) and especially when it came to the dreaming something and it coming true. Dreams are some tricky things and can be triggered by something you avoid thinking about, you are thinking subconsciously or by an outside force. I'm not talking about spirits though, depending in what you believe in, it could be possible. I mean in this way:
Watching a movie and you fall asleep on it and you dream similar events that were in the movies.
Thats what I meant. In my case I was told to ward the majority of these nightmares off with a bit of prayer/concentrating on not dreaming. Though I must say for me it didn't work but it has worked for others. In my case it is somewhat different because all my life I have watched horror movies and what may be a nightmare to someone else would seem like a film in my head to me. But what I use to do to keep myself from having nightmares was think about everything I could possibly have a nightmare about before I went to sleep and then, sleep. There have even been a few times when I concentrated on dreaming nothing and I dreamt absolutly nothing.
Okay, :) now onto the dreaming and it ends up coming true part. Like I mentioned before, when you think about something constantly and even subconsciously, you can end up dreaming it. I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility that there may be some connection between your dreams and reality. What I'm saying is that you're not crazy and taking a deep breath could help a lot. So in general terms take a breath, have a look at your life and probably talk to someone in person about all of this. Talking eases the mind and can help you a lot of ways, some people do this with therapists or evne talk to their friend/family/pet. Handling it depends solely on the way you are, personality/believes/etc. I hope it helped, good luck.
I can relate to your situation; I have had sleep disorders myself; sleep walking and night terrors.  Fortunately, in my case, the problem was related to a medication I was taking.  

I would recommend getting sleep studies just as the physician in the above post has recommended.  I have NEVER heard about magnesium helping with nightmares.