Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Dry mouth, sudden thirst, abdominal pain...?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hello. I don't really like posting things about myself online, but it's worth a shot if someone can help. I'm 20, female and in the past 24 hours have developed a dry mouth and throat and have subsequently drunk approximately 12 pints of water over the course of 6ish hours. That's not usual for me. I feel like I NEED to be drinking. I've also had a dull abdominal ache, similar to period cramps bit not quite. I'm not due on for a while. And I'm worried it's either diabetes or appendicitis, though there is no pain increase when applying pressure to that region. I'm sure it's not but I can't tell, and there are no doctors until next Monday. I'm also wondering if the dry mouth/ache can be attributed to sheer nervousness. I'm having a girly moment and am having a hard time debating how to tell someone that I rather like them. It's really eating away at me because it's been a long time since I've felt this way about someone, so I don't know if whatever that is can manifest itself in these ways. In the past hour or so I've also started to feel a tad nauseous.

Anyway, that's that. I hope someone has some ideas. x
I would recommend having your physician rule out Diabetes Insipidus and Diabetes Mellitus.
i was going to say diabetes as well from what i learned in school.
I would not wait until Monday.  My son before being diagnosed with diabetes had that kind of thirst.  There is also a sweetish kind of smell associated with the breath.  Waiting can do major damage to yourself IF diabetes is the cause.  Appendicitis is no waiting matter either.  Get thee to a doctor!!!!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Increased thirst can be due to several causes. The treatment will depend on the cause. Hence first the cause has to be found out. Polydipsia can be primary or secondary. It can also be psychogenic and most likely in your case due to emotional stress you are going through. One can feel very thirsty for hours together after a spicy or salty meal. Diarrhea, excessive sweating, exposure to excessive heat and sun can all cause polydipsia.
This can also be the result of diseases like diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. Heart, liver and kidney failure and also certain medications cause excessive thirst. Some people with severe acidity too develop a habit of drinking water to counteract the effect of acidity.
You can cut down your salt, spicy and fried food intake. Avoid too much exposure to sun. Take an antacid twice a day. Eat frequent small meals. Keep a record of the water you take—do not drink more than 8-10 glasses. One way to do that is to drink only half or one third glass at a time. If still it does not help, then consult a doctor. Take care!