Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Dull Pain in head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Dull Pain in head

Hi, i have been having a dull pain on the left side of my head, above my eyebrow and it goes about half way into my head.  i have had this for sometime (Ithink it is as much as 2 yrs), but because for periods I have been taking diclofenic(had knee probs and jaw probs). This has masked it, when ever i am not taking medication for other probs, this pain is always there.  Just a very dull pain, somtimes making me light sensative and very tired.  Could it be to do with the menapause?

Without examintion,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough,but there are various possibilities for your symptoms.First of all,it can be due to sinus headaches, Sinus headaches are caused by sinus congestion and inflammation (called sinusitis).
Then it can be due to primary headaches. Primary headaches include migraine, tension-type, and cluster headaches.Going by your symptom of sensitivity to light,migraine is an important possibility.

Apply alternate warm and cold compresses,elevate the head while sleeping and take some over the counter NSAID analgesic(pain reliever) like ibuprofen(advil/motrin) or acetaminophen.Application of muscle relaxant to the part is also helpful.

If the symptoms persist,then pls consult a physician.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.
Hi, thank you for the advice, i have tried ibuprofen,  and it does relieve the pain, but when i stop taking  it,  the pain is back within 24 hrs.  Had not thought about a muscle relaxant so will try that, but i am now at the stage I think i need to see my GP. it is affecting my daily life too much.

thank you again and will et you know how i get on..........Olwyn