Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
ESR 40 is that dangerous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

ESR 40 is that dangerous

Last I had a blood test done. The doctor said to me when you sleep you wake up many times. Is that ok with you? I said yes it happens often. I do not mind because I go back to sleep. I wondered why he said that. I did not ask. I looked at my blood test yesterday. I noticed everything was normal except for esr which was 40. I did not know what esr was until I looked it up on the internet. I was very sick with a bad cold when I took the blood test last year. Could that have that effected the esr? Can one just take a esr test by itself. Should I be worried? I wonder why this doctor did not explain this to me. Please answer.
Tags: sleep, test
ESR, or SED-Rate detects inflamation (inflammation) throughout the body. It is normally used to monitor arthritis, autoimmune diseases, and certain cancers. Do you have any other symptoms? If you are concerned, you can call your Dr. for further explanation. You can also repeat the test in a month or two. If you have no other major problems, I would suggest you relax, and wait for a retest to see if there's really a problem. 40 is not terribly high.
I'm 43 female...My last ESR count was 57 and I have a growth under my left cage rib.  There is no pain experienced but seems to be growing.
Any idea?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Cold, respiratory infection and sinusitis can increase ESR to this level.  This can also be due to anemia, thyroid problems, diabetes, kidney problems.
In your case since you have a swelling, it could be due to osteomyelitis of the rib, rheumatoid arthritis, syphilis, SLE, tuberculosis of the rib etc. Please consult your doctor regarding this.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
My blood test came back with an ESR of 40 and the hs-CRP was 8.7.
I do have allergies and asthma. Do I need to be worried? thanks
Thanks for writing to the forum!

With chronic allergies and asthma, this kind of readings are expected and should normally not be a cause of worry. However do consult your treating doctor once as it is really difficult to comment without examining you.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, ESR was started.
sir my mother blood test reports come her age is 57 and the abnormal thing is the esr. Its 40. She has other symptoms like sleepless she use to sneez a lot once she start sneez no one can stop her. Her feet down side burns. I am very much concern about her. Please tell me some thing to stop all this.    
A related discussion, increase in wbc count and increase in ESR level was started.
hi madam my husand has esr 40 ,mch 26.6,mchc 27.2
My ESR is 51/hr since 8 years forst time i had blood test.
Iam having dry cough and pains in Knee joint ,what would be the cause
All tests in blood are in normal range.