Ear crackling when I swallow
This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. I believe it was triggered by the dust being kicked up by weeds that I was pulling at the time.

It's primarily in the right ear, but I can't seem to get it to go away. There's no real pain or noticeable hearing loss, it's just very aggravating. I've tried holding my nose shut and popping my ears, but it doesn't work. I've also tried using one of those ear syringes in a mixture of warm water and hydrogen peroxide, but that doesn't work either.

Is this something that will heal on its own, or should I talk to my doctor?
If it keeps up, no more than 2 more wks, then go to an ENT &
have a tympanogram test. Quick, painless & don't just let doc
look in ears w/ scope. They put plug things in ears & push a
button to air-tight these plugs. Machine shoots out a tape &
says fluid or dry by the peak pattern. Could be allergy problem
or (ET) eustachian tube inflammation. These openings are in the 'back' of throat & when you swallow they tug on middle-ear
compartment. You have 3. Ear canal w/ tympanic membrane/mid-ear/
oval window/inner ear. Swollen tubes cause moisture to form in mid-ear & generally is absorbed in the upper walls. If doesn't,
it can block entrance from canal & accumulate fluid. Only clear
ears to pop them w/ pressure & do it lightly. If you have fluid
inflammation in ET's, you're blowing more fluid to trap mid-ear.
You set environment up for earache/bacteria from throat. Some-
times a sore throat causes swollen tubes near throat muscle &
the fluid sound can really be a stretchy tube of fluid being
tugged. Try a OTC histamine for a bit to dry ears out. If you
put off a serious 'lots of water' noise in ear then it can
cause extended problems. Don't use syringe in canal. It can
puncture 'window' making things worse. Some use a small type
drop bottle & mix equal parts of vinegar & alcohol to drip in
& dry canal. Great remedy for swimmers ear. Tilt head to drain.
Hi, this could be an allergy or and inflammation of the ear or maybe an infection.

I would recommend some over the counter antihistamine like diphenhydramine (benadryl)and some Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) for allergy and inflammation. You sould go to an EMT for a check up.

Benadryl also helps with the crackling sounds if its water or an allergy. If you have hearing loss it also helps with that. Try 25mg of benadryl three x a day and 50mg at night it wouldn't hurt. It will also help you sleep don't drive while taking benadryl it makes you sleepy.

Ibuprofen (advil, motrin) helps with inflammation if you have any try 400mg three x a day. It wouldn't hurt and if you have any fever it also helps for that. I strongly suggest for you to go to an EMT.

bye take care
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us